J
Posted By
johnkissane3
Jan 12, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I searched and read and read and searched again. I guess I am looking for verification or, better yet, improvements on my workflow. Background: somewhat advanced amateur photographer (I hope) and have the some basics of PS down (I think). Converted to digital camera from 35mm SLRs. Only use is for home and family and travel. No contests or pro needs. I have no problems with PS CS trial and presently have PS7.

I scan 35mm positives to 8.4X10.5 Inch (2536X3760 Pix) at 300 res, file size 27.3m TIF. In PS I decide if I want an 8X10 or 5X7. I decide on 5X7 then resize with resample off to closest to that size which is approx 5×7.4. The resize expands the res to about 507 and file size remains 27.3 as expected. Then I crop to exactly 5×7 at 300 res file size is then 9.03M again, as expected.

When I get lazy I skip the Resize and just crop the original 27.3M file again at exactly 5X7 at 300Res and 9.03 file size.

Question — Since both end up with the same size and resolution am I wasting my time by resizing in the first place or is there a “quality” difference?

Thanks in advance.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JS
John_Slate
Jan 12, 2004
IMHO Skip the resize, eventually you are going to resample anyway.

Of course it goes without saying that you will save as to a new file, to maintain your full scan…

BTW, as a relative newcomer, you clearly have a good grasp of size/resolution issues. Many don’t figure that stuff out for a while.
JK
John_Kissane
Jan 12, 2004
John, thats what I though but what do you mean by "eventually you are going to resample anyway." Does that happen automatically in the cropping process?

On the good grasp of issues, the math is easy, its the concepts and visualization of what the heck is happening that causes the pain (ha ha).

regards
JS
John_Slate
Jan 12, 2004
When your file is 5×7.4 @ 504ppi, and you use the crop tool set at a fixed size/resolution you are probably cropping just a little off the file and changing that area from 504ppi to 300ppi. That is the resampling part. The crop tool set this way will merely constrain the area you choose to the same aspect ratio as your selected size, and will take the area you select and make it the specified resolution ands size. So you could crop out just a little tiny rectangle in the middle of your file and PS would rez up the little area to 5×7 @300ppi
BM
Ben_Meriwether
Jan 13, 2004
hi, i’ve got a Kodak ML-500 photo printer, PS7, & PS Elements all on my Windows XP. My problem is that i need to print 8 x 10’s but i’ve yet to figure out how to size them proportionately.

i’ve just registered to the forum here & have run searches on resizing, constrain proportions, photo printing, etc…

Any help is tremendously appreciated, benG

(BTW, 8 x 10 at 300 dpi)
JS
John_Slate
Jan 13, 2004
Ben:

Are all your photos coming from the same place? (ie a digital camera)

If so how many pixels are in each shot?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections