NH
Posted By
Nillsa Hungaard
Jan 30, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi. I really like it when graphics are sometimes used on the the side of webpages. You know, the vertical graphics extending from the top of the page to the bottom (usually on the left side of a page and only extending out usually an inch or two) that are on all the pages of a particular site.

I was wondering if there was a site that had examples of side of page graphics (I guess that’s what they’re called?) to look at. Thanks. Nillsa

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

J
Jasper
Jan 30, 2004
"Nillsa Hungaard" wrote in message
Hi. I really like it when graphics are sometimes used on the the side of webpages. You know, the vertical graphics extending from the top of the page to the bottom (usually on the left side of a page and only extending out usually an inch or two) that are on all the pages of a particular site.

I was wondering if there was a site that had examples of side of page graphics (I guess that’s what they’re called?) to look at. Thanks. Nillsa

Lots. Here’s one. You can search for more. Click borders on this page.

http://www.iconbazaar.com/backgrounds/
S
Smurfy
Jan 30, 2004
"Jasper" wrote in message

What is that a "worst practices" spoof site?

And spyware on every page, too.

J
Jasper
Jan 30, 2004
"Kaner Flat" wrote in message

If you say there’s spyware, I’ll take your word for it and also apologize although I’m not sure how one is to know that. Aside from that, I really don’t know what you’re talking about. Perhaps you could elucidate? Did you have a positive comment to make to the original poster?

Jasper
H
Hecate
Jan 31, 2004
On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 18:45:52 -0500, "Jasper"
wrote:

If you say there’s spyware, I’ll take your word for it and also apologize although I’m not sure how one is to know that. Aside from that, I really don’t know what you’re talking about. Perhaps you could elucidate? Did you have a positive comment to make to the original poster?
I can’t comment on the page as I haven’t bothered to look at it, but your comment that you didn’t see spyware suggests you either don’t have a firewall or don’t have a very good one.

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
J
Jasper
Jan 31, 2004
"Hecate" wrote in message
wrote:

Lots. Here’s one. You can search for more. Click borders on this
page.

If you say there’s spyware, I’ll take your word for it and also apologize although I’m not sure how one is to know that. Aside from that, I really don’t know what you’re talking about. Perhaps you could elucidate? Did
you
have a positive comment to make to the original poster?
I can’t comment on the page as I haven’t bothered to look at it, but your comment that you didn’t see spyware suggests you either don’t have a firewall or don’t have a very good one.

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui

Mea culpa. I do run the default MS one, and there is one in my router. I do run Ad-Aware from time to time to clean up whatever I have picked up along the way. Regardless, maybe Kaner will still answer my question. I do want to know. Probably one more sentence would have let me and others know what he was talking about. Isn’t that why we’re here? You took the time to write a full sentence, and I don’t have to guess what you are saying. One never does with you, and I’m not complaining. 🙂

Jasper
Hecate

Huh?
KF
Kaner Flat
Jan 31, 2004

Jasper

AdAware is great, however this program is one that I prefer:

http://www.safer-networking.org/

As far as a positive comment about the backgrounds site; using cheesy tiled backgrounds will positively make your web site look cheesy.
N
nospam
Jan 31, 2004
wrote (with possible editing):

Jasper

Hi Jasper,

No flame. I think he’s talking about a cookie left by
visiting that site which is used by doubleclick. No big deal, you can remove it by using Ad-Aware or simply going to your cookies file (c:\Documents and Settings\<your login name>\Cookies and look for a file that starts with <your login name> and ends in something like doubleclick.txt. Delete it (<your login name> is simply the name you log into your computer with, but without the "<>"). At least that’s where you’ll find it in Windows 2000.

In any case, it isn’t harmful, just a nuisance.

Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com
H
Hecate
Feb 1, 2004
On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 23:31:37 -0500, "Jasper"
wrote:

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui

Mea culpa. I do run the default MS one, and there is one in my router. I do run Ad-Aware from time to time to clean up whatever I have picked up along the way. Regardless, maybe Kaner will still answer my question. I do want to know. Probably one more sentence would have let me and others know what he was talking about. Isn’t that why we’re here? You took the time to write a full sentence, and I don’t have to guess what you are saying. One never does with you, and I’m not complaining. 🙂

Jasper
Thanks 🙂 As someone who was once responsible for a fair number of computers and their connections it always worries me when people say they *haven’t* seen the spyware. May I suggest you take a look at Outpost at www.agnitum.com 🙂

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
H
Hecate
Feb 1, 2004
On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 08:37:59 GMT, "Dr. J. Smith" wrote:

Hecate

Huh?
Firewalls will often identify spyware attempts if you set them up correctly. For example, the firewall I use, Outpost, has very attack detection plug-ins which will identify attempts to run spyware, malicious code, etc. If people don’t see the spyware, code, etc, it is usually a sign that they either don’t have a firewall, or don’t have a very good one. I hope that’s clear for you as Jasper realised exactly what I was saying.

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
KF
Kaner Flat
Feb 2, 2004
"L. M. Rappaport" wrote in message
wrote (with possible editing):

Lots. Here’s one. You can search for more. Click borders on this
page.

If you say there’s spyware, I’ll take your word for it and also apologize although I’m not sure how one is to know that. Aside from that, I really don’t know what you’re talking about. Perhaps you could elucidate? Did
you
have a positive comment to make to the original poster?

Jasper

Hi Jasper,

visiting that site which is used by doubleclick. No big deal, you can remove it by using Ad-Aware or simply going to your cookies file (c:\Documents and Settings\<your login name>\Cookies and look for a file that starts with <your login name> and ends in something like doubleclick.txt. Delete it (<your login name> is simply the name you log into your computer with, but without the "<>"). At least that’s where you’ll find it in Windows 2000.

Well, Larry that would depend on how you define the words; harmful and nuisance… cookie tracking can record tremendous amounts of data, but the reason I posted this link:http://www.safer-networking.org/ is because spy bot defaults to preventing the install or download of spy ware.

And remember: use cookies for good (shopping carts and preferences) not evil (Avenue A and Double click).
N
nospam
Feb 2, 2004
On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 18:36:08 -0800, "Kaner Flat" wrote (with possible editing):

Hi Jasper,

Well, Larry that would depend on how you define the words; harmful and nuisance… cookie tracking can record tremendous amounts of data, but the reason I posted this link:http://www.safer-networking.org/ is because spy bot defaults to preventing the install or download of spy ware.
And remember: use cookies for good (shopping carts and preferences) not evil (Avenue A and Double click).

Thanks for the heads-up. Yes, that’s probably a better utility. —

Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections