RS
Posted By
Rhea_Sax
Jan 9, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Several of my tools are experiencing the same strange behavior. They are all producing smaller lines than the indicated pixel size. For instance, the 300 pixel brush looks more like the 27, and the 27 is so small I cannot even see it, and so on. This also happens with rubber stamp, air brush, and dodge/burn/sponge, etc., tools. This is a new install of Photoshop 6.0.1 on a brand new install of Windows 2000, SP4. ( I bought a new hard drive and reinstalled everything ). All other programs are working fine, and this problem did not exist before I reinstalled. I did try to uninstall and reinstall PS but the problem persists. Has anyone else run across something like this and can give me some advice.
Thank you,
Rhea

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

DM
dave_milbut
Jan 9, 2004
check your image resolution in image> image size. make sure it’s around 72ppi for screen or 300ppi for print output.
L
LenHewitt
Jan 9, 2004
Rhea,

Try deleting the Prefs – Details in the FAQ at the top of this forum’s Topic List. It will NOT be deleted by an uninstall/Re-install
RS
Rhea_Sax
Jan 10, 2004
thank you for your fast response. However, all my work is done between 180dpi to 300dpi. Can you explain what the dpi has to do with the workings of the tools? I must have missed that lesson.
Thanks again!
Rhea
RS
Rhea_Sax
Jan 10, 2004
Thanks for your quick response. Now I feel like a complete morran. You said: "details in the FAQ at the top of this forum’s Topic List."
So I clicked "back to topic list". Spent 1 hour going through all the FAQs (over 1100) and could not find one topic related to my problems. Please direct me in finding the item you are referring to.
Sorry for my lack of experience using fourms. This is my fist time! But I bet you already knew that.

Rhea
G
graffiti
Jan 10, 2004
Welcome to the forums Rhea.

I believe THIS <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?50@@.ef4a07f> is the FAQ Len was referring to. G’luck.

It tells you how to reset your preferences which may be a fix to your problem.
M
Malameel
Jan 10, 2004
The "72 dpi" is for your screen setting which for most monitors is 72.

This is basically how it is represented on the screen, not the resolution of the image on paper which is the output.

Also, deleting your prefs are also a good idea when you have weird stuff, it will not harm anything, but reset things like your palette locations and give PS a fresh start.

As far as the FAQs and stuff, I find it easier to just use the "search" feature and start there.

Some people here woulkd rather give a longer remark of searching for the answer then the quick answer. I gave both…
TD
Thomas_Durham
Jan 10, 2004
Rhea Sax, I dont know if this is true in 6 .0.1 but make sure your brush size in brushes pallette is not set to pen pressure.
Tom
L
LenHewitt
Jan 10, 2004
Rhea,

You missed the FAQ’s! There are only 58 of those…..

There is a link to FAQ’s in the forum header (welcome) message and also the FAQ’s folder at the top of the message lists…..
RS
Rhea_Sax
Jan 10, 2004
Len, You must think I am a stupid, dumb blonde! Well, I’m not blonde. But I’m getting more and more confused. When I open the forum I get the heading as seen below: Support User to User Forums

You are logged in as Rhea Sax.

read subscriptions | message center | forum search | knowledgebase search | help | preferences | logout

Manage Subscription List
New Messages
No new messages

Mark all new messages in my subscription list as read.

Bookmarks
Your bookmark list is empty

Message Center Settings

Show new messages in this page
Beep when the new message list changes
Show bookmark list in this page
Refresh this page every minutes. (Use 0 for no refresh.)

read subscriptions | message center | forum search | knowledgebase search | help | preferences | logout

Am I using the wrong site? I find no "welcome" and no FAQ. Meanwhile, someone by the name of "graffiti " sent me a link to the topic you referred me to. I followed the instructions, but still had some problems. Firstly, while opening the Photoshop program,I did not get a dialog box asking me if I want to delete the pref. So I went into the search for files in windows and deleted the Adobe Photoshop 6 Preferences.psp file. Then went back into the program and found that this did NOT solve the problem. And went to the preferences and reset some that I wanted. Restarted the program and still have not cleared the problems.

Should I reinstall the program now? Delete what I have set? Have any more suggestions? Please don’t give up on me. I have so much work piling up. The stress is getting to me.
Rhea
RS
Rhea_Sax
Feb 3, 2004
Thank you for your reply. I don’t know how to check if the brush size in the brush pallette is set to pen pressure or not. Where do I find this function.
Sorry for my ignorance, but I’m willing to learn.

Thanks again,
Rhea
SJ
sandy_johnson
Feb 3, 2004
Check your brush and options in the toolbar at the top. A 100 pixel pencil (hard edge) will look heavier than a 100 pixel brush (with a soft edge). A reduced flow will make it look even smaller.
W
wes
Feb 3, 2004
Rhea, open the Brushes palette and, in PSCS and PS7, at least, click on Brush Dynamics and just to the right of it is a pull down menu with several choices. Pen pressure is in that list.
wrote in message
Thank you for your reply. I don’t know how to check if the brush size in
the brush pallette is set to pen pressure or not. Where do I find this function.
Sorry for my ignorance, but I’m willing to learn.

Thanks again,
Rhea
RS
Rhea_Sax
Feb 4, 2004
Thanks once again. Tonight I discovered the cause of my problem and repaired it.

At the top right hand corner of the tool bar is an icon of the tool you are using. Not all the tools will have this icon, but the pencil/brush, clone tool, etc. will. I believe this is called the brush dynamics. When you get the drop down menu from this icon, there are several choices: size, opacity, & color. each of these have some choices too. When I checked them for each of my effected tools, they were set to stylus. Not using the pen on a tablet, I felt the stylus choice was wrong, so I set it to "off". Now all my tools are accurate.

It took my over 3 months to discover this. And there is no mention of the "brush dynamics" in the user guide. WOW!
RS
Rhea_Sax
Feb 4, 2004
Thanks once again for you help. Tonight I discovered the cause of my problem and repaired it.

At the top right hand corner of the tool bar is an icon of the tool you are using. Not all the tools will have this icon, but the pencil/brush, clone tool, etc. will. I believe this is called "the brush dynamics". When you get the drop down menu from this icon, there are several choices: size, opacity, & color. Each of these have some choices too(off-fade & stylus). When I checked them for each of my effected tools, they were set to stylus. Not using the pen(stylus) on a tablet, I felt the stylus choice was wrong, so I set it to "off". Now all my tools are accurate.

It took my over 3 months to discover this. And there is no mention of the "brush dynamics" in the user guide. WOW!
RS
Rhea_Sax
Feb 4, 2004
Thanks once again for you help. Neither of the possibilites you mentioned helped me. Tonight I discovered the cause of my problem and repaired it.

At the top right hand corner of the tool bar is an icon of the tool you are using. Not all the tools will have this icon, but the pencil/brush, clone tool, etc. will. I believe this is called "the brush dynamics". When you get the drop down menu from this icon, there are several choices: size, opacity, & color. Each of these have some choices too(off-fade & stylus). When I checked them for each of my effected tools, they were set to stylus. Not using the pen(stylus) on a tablet, I felt the stylus choice was wrong, so I set it to "off". Now all my tools are accurate.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections