How do I convert a batch of PSD files to tif or jpg ?

A
Posted By
adykes
Feb 13, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a folder full of PSD files. If there a way to convert all of them to another format ?

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don’t blame me. I voted for Gore.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

J
jjs
Feb 13, 2005
"Al Dykes" wrote in message

I have a folder full of PSD files. If there a way to convert all of them to another format ?

Yes.
JM
John McWilliams
Feb 13, 2005
Al Dykes wrote:
Presuming nothing, do you have PS? What version.

Are you learning a graphics program, or is this a one off operation?

John McWilliams
HL
Harry Limey
Feb 13, 2005
"Al Dykes" wrote in message

Download the free Irfanview
http://www.irfanview.com/
you can’t beat it for that sort of job

Harry
A
adykes
Feb 13, 2005
In article ,
John McWilliams wrote:
Al Dykes wrote:
Presuming nothing, do you have PS? What version.

Are you learning a graphics program, or is this a one off operation?

John McWilliams

Sorry, I could have been clearer. Yes I have CS and am using it but have lots to learn. I made the PSD files from RAW shots.

I’m trying to save a bunch pf PSD files in tiff. It looks like the batch facility allws me to script some steps but I don;t see how to apply a script to all files in a folder.

Thanks

BH
Bill Hilton
Feb 13, 2005

Hi Al, you can do this easily by creating an action (record the steps for one file … read up on actions in Help) and then applying this action to an entire folder using File > Automate > Batch (again, read up on the details in Help). Be careful not to write over your original files and it should work fine.

Bill
BH
Bill Hilton
Feb 13, 2005
Presuming nothing, do you have PS?

If he has PSD files I’d assume he has Photoshop 🙂
A
adykes
Feb 13, 2005
In article ,
Bill Hilton wrote:

I went to irfanview and it works fine.

I use irfanview all the time to look at raw files and knew it could batch work, but the brain didn’t look to see if it could also do batch PSD, which I need since I’ve put a bit of work into each shot while converting from raw to PSD.

I assume that PS has more sophisticated default raw-to-anything filters than irfaview does. That’s why I didn’t consider irfanview for this, initially.

Thanks, everyone.

B
bogus
Feb 13, 2005
Use Actions. Go to Window>Action to open the action panel.

You can read a full explanation on how to create and run a batch program in PSD Help.

Al Dykes wrote:

JM
John McWilliams
Feb 13, 2005
Bill Hilton wrote:

Hi Al, you can do this easily by creating an action (record the steps for one file … read up on actions in Help) and then applying this action to an entire folder using File > Automate > Batch (again, read up on the details in Help). Be careful not to write over your original files and it should work fine.
I’d recommend Russell Brown’s "Image processor".

http://russellbrown.com/

It’s much easier to use than an action (it’s a javascript he’s written), and his tutorial shows how to create simultaneously TIFFs, PSD and Jpegs, the latter two size-customizable, and sharpening selectable. It’s set to put images into new folders, almost assuring that you can’t overwrite originals. The downside for me is I chew up Gigabytes now, instead of mere 100’s of Megs….

John McWilliams
ET
Enric Tordera
Feb 13, 2005
"Al Dykes" ha escrit en el missatge dels grups de discussi
H
Hecate
Feb 14, 2005
On 13 Feb 2005 09:09:34 -0800, "Bill Hilton"
wrote:

Not necessarily – a number of graphics programs can read psd files.

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
MR
Michael Riddle
Feb 14, 2005

1. Open one of your files and make an action to save it to the desired
format and then close the file, and the action.

2. Go to File>Automate>Batch and apply the action the the rest of the pictures in the folder.

I hope this helps,

Mike

On 13 Feb 2005 10:26:40 -0500, (Al Dykes) wrote:

TN
Tom Nelson
Feb 23, 2005
In article <cuo1ch$smp$>, Al Dykes
wrote:

Sorry, I could have been clearer. Yes I have CS and am using it but have lots to learn. I made the PSD files from RAW shots.
I’m trying to save a bunch pf PSD files in tiff. It looks like the batch facility allws me to script some steps but I don;t see how to apply a script to all files in a folder.

Incidentally, the freeware Javascript "Dr. Brown’s Image Processor" will automatically convert a folder of photos directly from RAW to JPG, TIF or both.
http://www.russellbrown.com/tips_tech.html

Tom Nelson
Tom Nelson Photography
JM
John McWilliams
Feb 23, 2005
Tom Nelson wrote:
In article <cuo1ch$smp$>, Al Dykes
wrote:

Incidentally, the freeware Javascript "Dr. Brown’s Image Processor" will automatically convert a folder of photos directly from RAW to JPG, TIF or both.
http://www.russellbrown.com/tips_tech.html
or, as I wrote on the 13th:

I’d recommend Russell Brown’s "Image processor".

http://russellbrown.com/

It’s much easier to use than an action (it’s a javascript he’s written), and his tutorial shows how to create simultaneously TIFFs, PSD and Jpegs, the latter two size-customizable, and sharpening selectable. It’s set to put images into new folders, almost assuring that you can’t overwrite originals. The downside for me is I chew up Gigabytes now, instead of mere 100’s of Megs….

– tom does your newsreader provided sorting by threaded? (I was about to give Toth a try when what’s his name, the author, threw a fit.)

John McWilliams

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections