N
Posted By
Noir
Jan 21, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I installed Adobe Photoshop CS it appeared that it didn’t have any grayscale colours.
Every B/W (or after Image -> Mode -> Grayscale if you prefer) picture has green shades but no sign of gray. I want my grayscale back.

What shall I do ?

Please help

P.S. Pictures viewed in "Paint" look just fine.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

-xiray-
Jan 21, 2004
On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 17:57:26 +0100, "Noir" wrote:

When I installed Adobe Photoshop CS it appeared that it didn’t have any grayscale colours.
Every B/W (or after Image -> Mode -> Grayscale if you prefer) picture has green shades but no sign of gray. I want my grayscale back.
What shall I do ?

Please help

P.S. Pictures viewed in "Paint" look just fine.

Well, you probably DO have greyscale (you can test the color by using the eyedropper tool with the info palette open and then read the actual value). The main problem is that the other programs don’t use color management whereas PS does. The reason that PS has its own color management tools is because it is a professional tool used by just about everyone that preps files for print production.

Sounds to me like you’ve not set up the color profiles correctly in Photoshop.

The first thing you should do is open PS and view an image that has this "green" cast and then queck what proof color mode you’re using to view it.

Then you should probably look into how to set up PS so that it displays the colors correctly (read the manual and also check out the Adobe Gamma Utility that’s been installed in your control panel).

You should also consider that there are other color adjustments that can be made through

1. Your monitor’s on screen controls
2. The display properties on your system.

To display images well, all that stuff needs to work together.
N
Noir
Jan 21, 2004
Thanks for the info. Problem solved 🙂

"I am blind, although I can see"
-xiray-
Jan 22, 2004
On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 21:25:12 +0100, "Noir" wrote:

Not a problem. Personally getting good color display is harder than it should be. I’m not asking for a 100% match, but something that gets within reason. I wish some one would make it easier.

I dream for the day that someone (Adobe are you listening). Makes a video driver that when installed

— Works with my video card (replacing the manufacturer’s driver) — Detects the monitor type, as well as its phospors and its gamma — And then automatically installs the correct color profiles system wide (including in Adobe products)

All this squinting at grey boxes inside of other grey boxes with the ambient light turned off is a royal pain.
F
Frogiswrong
Jan 22, 2004
How about you get yourself some hardware to profile your monitor? Pretty cheap nowdays.

"-xiray-" wrote in message
On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 21:25:12 +0100, "Noir" wrote:

Not a problem. Personally getting good color display is harder than it should be. I’m not asking for a 100% match, but something that gets within reason. I wish some one would make it easier.

I dream for the day that someone (Adobe are you listening). Makes a video driver that when installed

— Works with my video card (replacing the manufacturer’s driver) — Detects the monitor type, as well as its phospors and its gamma — And then automatically installs the correct color profiles system wide (including in Adobe products)

All this squinting at grey boxes inside of other grey boxes with the ambient light turned off is a royal pain.

-xiray-
Jan 22, 2004
On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 21:39:06 +1100, "Frogiswrong" wrote:

How about you get yourself some hardware to profile your monitor? Pretty cheap nowdays.

Though I like the dream of a universal video driver better it has been a while since I’ve looked at those.

What hardware are you using to profile? I’ll check it out.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections