AM
Posted By
Alice Middleton
Feb 10, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am interested in finding some good Photoshop plug-ins, or stand-alone software, for turning digital photos (mainly landscapes) into something looking like a painting in the style of van Gogh, C

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

J
jjs
Feb 10, 2005
"Alice Middleton" wrote in message
I am interested in finding some good Photoshop plug-ins, or stand-alone software, for turning digital photos (mainly landscapes) into something looking like a painting in the style of van Gogh, C
BH
Bill Hilton
Feb 10, 2005
I am interested in finding some good Photoshop plug-ins, or
stand-alone
software, for turning digital photos (mainly landscapes) into
something
looking like a painting in the style of van Gogh, C
OR
O Ransen
Feb 10, 2005
On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 10:24:05 +0100, "Alice Middleton" wrote:

I am interested in finding some good Photoshop plug-ins, or stand-alone software, for turning digital photos (mainly landscapes) into something looking like a painting in the style of van Gogh, Cézanne, or one of the other impressionists.

Have a look at:

http:://www.ransen.com/repligator/mad.htm

http:://www.ransen.com/repligator/cubist.htm

http:://www.ransen.com/repligator/Art-Effects.htm
L
Ladyofcats
Feb 10, 2005
http://www.filepc.com/forward/sketcheffect-2.htm
demo available

"Alice Middleton" wrote in message
I am interested in finding some good Photoshop plug-ins, or stand-alone software, for turning digital photos (mainly landscapes) into something looking like a painting in the style of van Gogh, Cézanne, or one of the other impressionists.

Google identifies lots of software (e.g. Virtual Painter, PhotoArtMaster, Gertrudis) that might be suitable for this purpose. But I can’t find any clear RECOMMENDATIONS as to which of these, or other, alternatives might be best.

Can anyone in this NG offer advice on this?

H
Hecate
Feb 10, 2005

Google identifies lots of software (e.g. Virtual Painter, PhotoArtMaster, Gertrudis) that might be suitable for this purpose. But I can’t find any clear RECOMMENDATIONS as to which of these, or other, alternatives might be best.

Can anyone in this NG offer advice on this?
Hi Alice,

Buy Painter . *Nothing* is as good as this software, and nothing you can do in Phot0oshopo approaches the quality of the results.

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
BD
Bobby Dogg
Feb 10, 2005
Agreed. everything else looks computerized. painter doesn’t when used properly. It will only take you about three years to learn

BD
"Hecate" wrote in message

JO
John Ortt
Feb 11, 2005
Buy Painter . *Nothing* is as good as this software, and nothing you can do in Phot0oshopo approaches the quality of the results.

"Bobby Dogg" wrote in message
Agreed. everything else looks computerized. painter doesn’t when used properly. It will only take you about three years to learn

How does Painter compare to Deep Paint?
S
saswss
Feb 11, 2005
In article ,
Owen Ransen writes:
Have a look at:

I haven’t had nearly enough absinthe to be impressed.

Warren S. Sarle SAS Institute Inc. The opinions expressed here SAS Campus Drive are mine and not necessarily
(919) 677-8000 Cary, NC 27513, USA those of SAS Institute.
S
saswss
Feb 11, 2005
In article ,
"Ladyofcats" <invalidemail> writes:
http://www.filepc.com/forward/sketcheffect-2.htm

You have to wonder whether these people have ever seen an actual painting. But what can you expect from a company that sells a Britney Spears screen saver?

Warren S. Sarle SAS Institute Inc. The opinions expressed here SAS Campus Drive are mine and not necessarily
(919) 677-8000 Cary, NC 27513, USA those of SAS Institute.
J
jjs
Feb 11, 2005
"Warren Sarle" wrote in message
In article ,
Owen Ransen writes:
Have a look at:

It’s Friday. You have all weekend to soak up absinthe. It might be a good idea to hide sharp object first.
R
RSD99
Feb 11, 2005
Yes … even "Painter Classic" which is **bundled** with many Wacom tablets, does a very nice job!

H
Hecate
Feb 12, 2005
On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 14:29:42 -0000, "John Ortt" wrote:

The same way Photoshop compares to MS Paint.

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
SG
Steve Green
Feb 14, 2005
On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 23:49:55 GMT, "RSD99"
wrote:

Yes … even "Painter Classic" which is **bundled** with many Wacom tablets, does a very nice job!
Ah, but is it still all buggy like Painter 3 & 4 were, before Corel bought out Fractal Design? I believe it was originally a Mac program that had been ported to the PC, and they did a pretty poor job. Crashed Windows constantly (of course in those days,, that was pretty easy).

Steve Green
JO
John Ortt
Feb 14, 2005
Ahhhh

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 14:29:42 -0000, "John Ortt" wrote:

The same way Photoshop compares to MS Paint.

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
H
Hecate
Feb 15, 2005
On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 18:09:50 -0800, Steve Green
wrote:

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 23:49:55 GMT, "RSD99"
wrote:

Ah, but is it still all buggy like Painter 3 & 4 were, before Corel bought out Fractal Design? I believe it was originally a Mac program that had been ported to the PC, and they did a pretty poor job. Crashed Windows constantly (of course in those days,, that was pretty easy).
Don’t know about Classic, but Painters 8 and 9 are pretty stable (for Corel apps) <g>

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
SG
Steve Green
Feb 15, 2005
(asking about Painter Classic, wrote):

Hecate replied:
Don’t know about Classic, but Painters 8 and 9 are pretty stable (for Corel apps) <g>
Hmm. Not exactly a ringing endorsement. ;o)
Steve Green
E
Earl Studivan
Feb 15, 2005
Actually you can produce images with this effect in photoshop. Checkout Photoshop X (6 or higher) Wow book by Dayton Davis pgs 272-275. This describes a technique that works, I’ve modified it slightly for my work.

Earl

"Steve Green" wrote in message

Hecate replied:
Steve Green
H
Hecate
Feb 16, 2005
On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 23:03:01 -0800, Steve Green
wrote:

Hecate replied:

<g> What I’ve found is that version n.0 tends to have a bug or two. The n.1 release fixes them. But it’s generally stable. I use it a lot with far less problems than I ever had with, for example, Draw. I suspect it’s because the original programmers still create the software rather than people who were brought up in the Corel culture 🙂

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
H
Hecate
Feb 16, 2005
On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 15:13:09 -0500, "Earl Studivan" wrote:

Actually you can produce images with this effect in photoshop. Checkout Photoshop X (6 or higher) Wow book by Dayton Davis pgs 272-275. This describes a technique that works, I’ve modified it slightly for my work.
The difference is, with PS it looks like it’s been photoshopped, with Painter it looks like it’s been painted. 🙂

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
B
Brian
Feb 16, 2005
Hecate wrote:
wrote:

Hecate replied:

<g> What I’ve found is that version n.0 tends to have a bug or two. The n.1 release fixes them. But it’s generally stable. I use it a lot with far less problems than I ever had with, for example, Draw. I suspect it’s because the original programmers still create the software rather than people who were brought up in the Corel culture 🙂

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
You have to let it go Hecate, get over Draw. I use Draw and Photopaint and on my "far less specified than yours" computer and they run perfectly well! I have no probs with either program and on the rare crash that happens (no more than Photoshop locking up from time to time!!!) I am offered a dialog box with choices, one being save file and quit program. So I get to save the file where it is at that moment and not lose anything.
I come in this NG to learn all about Photoshop as I want to be totally proficient in both programs. I am totally proficient in Photopaint. I want to reach the same level in Photoshop. I have followed Photoshop for a long time and never liked it as much as Photopaint, but Photoshop has become better and better over the years and is terrific in its current release.
Let’s just leave it that Corel and Adobe make great software and stop the bagging?

Brian.
H
Hecate
Feb 17, 2005
On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 19:17:10 +1100, Brian
wrote:

Hecate wrote:
wrote:

Hecate replied:

You have to let it go Hecate, get over Draw.

I wasn’t talking to so you obviously have a need to jump in anywhere where Draw/Photopaint is mentioned and defend it, else why would you bother? Surely if Photopaint/Draw’s that good it doesn’t need you to defend it?

I use Draw and Photopaint
and on my "far less specified than yours" computer and they run perfectly well! I have no probs with either program and on the rare crash that happens (no more than Photoshop locking up from time to time!!!) I am offered a dialog box with choices, one being save file and quit program. So I get to save the file where it is at that moment and not lose anything.

All experience is anecdotal and my anecdotal experience is that if you open a number of small images (no more than 1Mb) in Photopaint it crashes about 95% of the time. It then brings up a crash manager dialog. This is the first piece of software that I’ve seen that does that. I assume Corel include it because it’s needed regularly.

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
B
Brian
Feb 17, 2005
Hecate wrote:
On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 19:17:10 +1100, Brian
wrote:

Hecate wrote:

wrote:

Hecate replied:

You have to let it go Hecate, get over Draw.

I wasn’t talking to so you obviously have a need to jump in anywhere where Draw/Photopaint is mentioned and defend it, else why would you bother? Surely if Photopaint/Draw’s that good it doesn’t need you to defend it?

I use Draw and Photopaint
and on my "far less specified than yours" computer and they run perfectly well! I have no probs with either program and on the rare crash that happens (no more than Photoshop locking up from time to time!!!) I am offered a dialog box with choices, one being save file and quit program. So I get to save the file where it is at that moment and not lose anything.

All experience is anecdotal and my anecdotal experience is that if you open a number of small images (no more than 1Mb) in Photopaint it crashes about 95% of the time. It then brings up a crash manager dialog. This is the first piece of software that I’ve seen that does that. I assume Corel include it because it’s needed regularly.

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui

Now I know you are talking crap, Hecate!! After reading a couple of times now these claims about crashing with several items open, I just opened a whole folder of images (24) off a cheap digital camera. The average file size in memory is 11mb-12mb. I have opened these on my old computer (the only one I use on the net) which is a crappy Pentium III 450mhz with 512mb ram. It is running perfectly well. I have just worked on a few of the images, keeping all the images open. I have applied sharpening, rotation and done some cropping. Applied Level Equalization and nothing has gone wrong at all. The only thing wrong was doing this experiment on this dinosaur computer. It became a little slow. No crashing, no problems. The only thing annoying me about you, is that you a switched on character and know your Photoshop to a high degree, which earns you respect. That, however, means when you bullshit about ‘other’ software and make false allegations, people will believe that, and it is not right!
I thoroughly enjoy your comments on PS, just stick to those please. Don’t slander another program with mistruths.
Once again, thanks for the great tips you give on PS, I have learnt several things from you in a short period of time!
All the best, Brian.
H
Hecate
Feb 18, 2005
On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 19:09:14 +1100, Brian
wrote:

Now I know you are talking crap, Hecate!! After reading a couple of times now these claims about crashing with several items open, I just opened a whole folder of images (24) off a cheap digital camera. The average file size in memory is 11mb-12mb. I have opened these on my old computer (the only one I use on the net) which is a crappy Pentium III 450mhz with 512mb ram. It is running perfectly well. I have just worked on a few of the images, keeping all the images open. I have applied sharpening, rotation and done some cropping. Applied Level Equalization and nothing has gone wrong at all. The only thing wrong was doing this experiment on this dinosaur computer. It became a little slow. No crashing, no problems. The only thing annoying me about you, is that you a switched on character and know your Photoshop to a high degree, which earns you respect. That, however, means when you bullshit about ‘other’ software and make false allegations, people will believe that, and it is not right!
I thoroughly enjoy your comments on PS, just stick to those please. Don’t slander another program with mistruths.
Once again, thanks for the great tips you give on PS, I have learnt several things from you in a short period of time!
All the best, Brian.

Well, it happens here and that’s my experience. YMMV.

Try repeatedly opening different batches of files and see if that makes any difference, because that’s when it happens to me. And the reason it’s a pain is that Photo paint is my image viewer (I’d use Irfan View but it’s only an SDI app and I don’t want tens of copies running).

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
B
Brian
Feb 18, 2005

Try repeatedly opening different batches of files and see if that makes any difference, because that’s when it happens to me. And the reason it’s a pain is that Photo paint is my image viewer (I’d use Irfan View but it’s only an SDI app and I don’t want tens of copies running).

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui

Hecate,

you may be able to answer this for me. Is it my imagination, or did I read somewhere that PS has a new colour matching feature for photographers. Apparently, if you have several images taken at a shoot where the lighting was the same, but they have been processed differently for example, photoshop can make the ones printed incorrectly match one of the images that is correctly colour balanced. Say for example I took some shots in sunset light and some were printed too white (the lab’s machine tried to neutralise the warm tint) but a couple came out right. I am meant to be able to tell the other photos to match the one(s) that came out right.
This may be a feature about to come out in the next PS or maybe it is already in CS 8. Do you have any idea?
Thanks,

Brian.
N
noone
Feb 18, 2005
In article , says…

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui

Hecate,

you may be able to answer this for me. Is it my imagination, or did I read somewhere that PS has a new colour matching feature for photographers. Apparently, if you have several images taken at a shoot where the lighting was the same, but they have been processed differently for example, photoshop can make the ones printed incorrectly match one of the images that is correctly colour balanced. Say for example I took some shots in sunset light and some were printed too white (the lab’s machine tried to neutralise the warm tint) but a couple came out right. I am meant to be able to tell the other photos to match the one(s) that came out right.
This may be a feature about to come out in the next PS or maybe it is already in CS 8. Do you have any idea?
Thanks,

Brian.

Brian,

This is not Hecate (the real one, or otherwise), but the function that you are alluding to might well be PS-CS (8) Image>Adjustment>Color Match, with which you can "match" the color of a control image with other images that are open. While I have not had the occasion to do a batch process with this function, I’ll bet that it can be done. I have a gut feeling, that the next gestation of PS will allow even greater matching from a control, but do not know this for a fact.

Hunt
M
Me
Feb 18, 2005
On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 02:05:20 +0000, Hecate wrote:

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui

Actually what you wrote about IrfanView is not quite correct. If you want only one copy running then do the following: Run "IrfanView"
Select "Options" then "Properties"
Select the "Misc 1" tab
halfway down the page is a checkbox saying
"Only 1 instance of IrfanView is active"
Add a tick in that box and each image will then open in the same copy of IrfanView.
B
Brian
Feb 18, 2005
Hunt wrote:
In article , says…

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui

Hecate,

Thanks,

Brian.

Brian,

This is not Hecate (the real one, or otherwise), but the function that you are alluding to might well be PS-CS (8) Image>Adjustment>Color Match, with which you can "match" the color of a control image with other images that are open. While I have not had the occasion to do a batch process with this function, I’ll bet that it can be done. I have a gut feeling, that the next gestation of PS will allow even greater matching from a control, but do not know this for a fact.

Hunt
Aha! Fanatastic Hunt, I think that is the feature I was reading about. I shall have a little play around and see how it all works. Thanks very much for your advice there.

Brian.
B
Brian
Feb 18, 2005
Brian wrote:

Hunt wrote:

In article , says…

Hecate – The Real One
veni, vidi, reliqui

Hecate,

you may be able to answer this for me. Is it my imagination, or did I read somewhere that PS has a new colour matching feature for photographers. Apparently, if you have several images taken at a shoot where the lighting was the same, but they have been processed differently for example, photoshop can make the ones printed incorrectly match one of the images that is correctly colour balanced. Say for example I took some shots in sunset light and some were printed too white (the lab’s machine tried to neutralise the warm tint) but a couple came out right. I am meant to be able to tell the other photos to match the one(s) that came out right. This may be a feature about to come out in the next PS or maybe it is already in CS 8. Do you have any idea?
Thanks,

Brian.

Brian,

Hunt
Aha! Fanatastic Hunt, I think that is the feature I was reading about. I shall have a little play around and see how it all works. Thanks very much for your advice there.

Brian.

I just did a quick experiment and you were on the money with that one Hunt. After applying the colour match, in the example I just tried, I had to "fade color match" to about 55% and it was spot on. If you read the thread regarding putting the girl’s face on the dollar bill, would this color match facility do what the person was asking for? eg. could the man scan the bill and do a color match from the bill to the girl BEFORE then bringing the girl into the image with the dollar bill?

Just a thought.

Brian.
H
Hecate
Feb 19, 2005
On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 15:41:43 +1000, Me
wrote:

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 02:05:20 +0000, Hecate wrote:

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui

Actually what you wrote about IrfanView is not quite correct. If you want only one copy running then do the following: Run "IrfanView"
Select "Options" then "Properties"
Select the "Misc 1" tab
halfway down the page is a checkbox saying
"Only 1 instance of IrfanView is active"
Add a tick in that box and each image will then open in the same copy of IrfanView.

HI,

Thanks, that’s really useful I thought I was limited to an SDI. now I know it’s an MDI I can remove Photopaint. Great!

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
H
Hecate
Feb 19, 2005
On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 19:00:41 +1100, Brian
wrote:

Glad Hunt got there first. I wasn’t sure if you were talking about Colour Match or Shadow/Highlights 🙂

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
TN
Tom Nelson
Feb 23, 2005
In article <cuj8ha$ihq$>, Warren Sarle
wrote:

Absinthe DOES make the heart grow fonder…

Tom Nelson

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections