Howto copy layer style to a different file?

RA
Posted By
Richard_A._Ross
Jan 6, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
??

I want the same layer style across many files. My workd around now is record an action and invoke that. Is there a layer style copy/paste across file?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Y
YrbkMgr
Jan 6, 2004
Richard,

Open the image containing the style. Double click on the Effect in the layers pallet. When the dialog opens, you can save that style as a named style and apply it to different images.

Peace,
Tony
TF
Timothy_Foolery
Jan 6, 2004
Do you have to save it as a named style? Can’t you just right click on the layer, choose "copy layer style" go over to your other image right click on a layer and choose "paste layer style"? Or am I missing something?

(Really I just wanted an excuse to say "Hi Tony") 🙂
Y
YrbkMgr
Jan 6, 2004
Timothy,

Yeah, you could copy layer style, but it wouldn’t be available after you close photoshop, so, saving it as a named style is a nice way to make sure you always have it. Then you can use your presets managager and organize your styles (if you are so inclined).

Really I just wanted an excuse to say "Hi Tony"

How cool is that? I never knew how many folks knew me until I left for a while. Thanks Tim.

Peace,
Tony
TF
Timothy_Foolery
Jan 6, 2004
D’oh! I forgot!

It’s Matt Hattie here lol. I am in disguise. 😉
H
heathrowe
Jan 6, 2004
you can also drag your styles from one file to another… simple click/drag on the ‘Effects’ word (for at least a few secs – it will highlight) in the layers palette then drag to a new file and drop it onto the layer to copy all the effects
or
simple click/drag on any of the individual Layer Style word (for at least a few secs – it will highlight) in the layers palette to a new file and drop it onto the layer to copy just that style

hope that helps
heathrowe
<http://www.heathrowe.com>

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections