RC
Posted By
R C
Feb 4, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a set of large (12000x20000x16bpp) grayscale scans that I wish to slice up into individual elements. There is a lot of white space between elements, so an approximate fit is fine.

The new photoshop ‘divide slice’ provides a quick and easy way to select the areas I wish to export, but the Save As Web module chokes on the large sizes involved, and there doesn’t appear to be any other way to use slices. No operation affects them, they aren’t enumerated in the javascript interface. The only way I see to do this is to write an export plugin, which is a pain to say the least.

Gimp, guides, and web-o-tine works, but is painfully slow. Same with imagemagick.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Some automation trick with guides or something that I have missed?

Thanks,
R C

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

J
jjs
Feb 4, 2005
"R C" wrote in message
I have a set of large (12000x20000x16bpp) grayscale scans that I wish to slice up into individual elements. There is a lot of white space between elements, so an approximate fit is fine.

Use Imageready. Take the menu item "view" and make them (it’s pretty much automatic), then go to the menu item "slices" and "slice on guides". Save. Done.
RC
R C
Feb 4, 2005
"jjs" wrote in message
"R C" wrote in message

Use Imageready. Take the menu item "view" and make them (it’s pretty much automatic), then go to the menu item "slices" and "slice on guides". Save. Done.

Except that Imageready decompresses the whole thing into ram first.. it’s even slower than the gimp on this machine.

There’s no way to do this in an automated fashion in Photoshop proper? Guess I need to dig into that plugin SDK.

R C
J
jjs
Feb 4, 2005
"R C" wrote in message
"jjs" wrote in message

Except that Imageready decompresses the whole thing into ram first.. it’s even slower than the gimp on this machine.

How large is the image?

Back to the problem – to recap: you need to slice a very large image into nonoverlapping images, saving each to a seperate file – correct? Darn if I didn’t cut some code to to that ten years ago. It ran from the command line. Let me look.
RC
R C
Feb 28, 2005
"jjs" wrote in message
"R C" wrote in message
"jjs" wrote in message

How large is the image?

Back to the problem – to recap: you need to slice a very large image into nonoverlapping images, saving each to a seperate file – correct? Darn if I didn’t cut some code to to that ten years ago. It ran from the command line. Let me look.

I ended up writing a quick and dirty plugin to slice them into pgms. Quite fast; I’ll have to clean it up and release it at some point.

R C

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections