G
Posted By
Golikely
Feb 3, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Can anyone please recommend suitable add-ons to CS or stand-alone programs that take a photograph and make black and white sketches etc. out of it?

New to PS

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

J
jjs
Feb 4, 2005
"Golikely" wrote in message
Can anyone please recommend suitable add-ons to CS or stand-alone programs that take a photograph and make black and white sketches etc. out of it?

NO. There is no automagic solution to your poorly expressed need.
R
RSD99
Feb 4, 2005
Corel Painter

New to PS
G
Golikely
Feb 7, 2005
Sorry it was poorly expressed. On holiday in Mallorca I noticed a booth where your photograph could be taken. From that photograph one could select any one of several line drawings and sketches. They were so good I’d have bought the booth if I could afford it!

I was looking for some way one could do this using photoshop, or whether there was another program that one could purchase for this purpose.

I hope this is somewhat better expressed. Remember that we are not all experts!

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 19:32:59 -0600, "jjs" wrote:

NO. There is no automagic solution to your poorly expressed need.
TN
Tom Nelson
Feb 7, 2005
A Google search on " Photoshop tutorial painting" or "sketch" should fill your needs nicely. My own tutorial at
http://www.tnphoto.com/tutor_d.html maight be of interest. Tom Nelson
Tom Nelson Photography

In article , Golikely
wrote:

On holiday in Mallorca I noticed a
booth where your photograph could be taken. From that photograph one could select any one of several line drawings and sketches. They were so good I’d have bought the booth if I could afford it!
I was looking for some way one could do this using photoshop, or whether there was another program that one could purchase for this purpose.
PD
postman delivers
Feb 8, 2005

New to PS

Golikely,

This is done all the time using photosho, and Illustrator together… A decent line drawing can be done quickly, and if saved as a action then you have your auto line drawing procedure. It can also be exported to Illustrator and given a polished look using Mohamed Al-Dabbagh instructions near the conclusion of Janee’s tutorial.

http://www.myjanee.com/tuts/linedraw/linedraw.htm

Pledge, also provided a routine the other week so you do not need to export to Illustrator for Mohamed Al-Dabbagh suggested polished look as explained on Janee’s website.

Quoting, "Another way to make it vector instead of bitmap, for those without Illustrator, is to define it as a "custom shape" in Photoshop.

This can be done by increasing the resolution significantly and converting to grayscale (as Mohamed suggests). Then adjust the levels for a nice contrast. Next, Go
to Image > Adjustments > Threshold to change it to pure black and white. Slide the slider for the best look.

Next, use the Magic Wand tool (with contiguous unchecked!) to select the black and then go to Select > Modify > Smooth and set it to a value of 5 to 10 pixels. Use the Paint bucket to fill the new selection with black and then Select > Inverse. Fill this with white.

Use the Magic Wand tool again to select just the black and open the Paths Palette. Click on the tiny triangle and select "Make Work Path." Go to Edit
Define Custom Shape and name the custom shape.

Now if you go to the Custom Shape tool, the very last shape should be the one you just created.

Set the foreground color to the color of your choice and hold SHIFT when dragging out the shape to maintain the proportions. It is entirely scalable and editable using the Pen tool and its associated tools. You can delete paths, add them, move anchor points, etc.

The CTRL key will be very useful!"

Many thanks to Peadge for this lesson to help some of Us with stoneheads perched between out shoulders….

Adobe’s products are great, because there are so many different methonds to accomplish what we need or want to accomplish in graphic. I have read it several times, learn how to use the programs, and you do not need plugins, or extra programs. Photoshop has the ability to do actions. If you are able to learn how to do something in photoshop, then an action becomes your plugin, or extra program….

JR the postman

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections