DM
Posted By
Debbie_Metcalf
Jan 5, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi. I am working with PS CS and get the error message "could not complete your request because of a program error." Very frustrating! .tiff files seem to be a culprit. However, I just worked with a regular .psd file tonight, saved the file, went to re-open about 10 minutes later and got the message.

I have tried to track it down through the forums, to no avail. I tried "reset all warning dialogs" and purged the cache in the file browser. No luck.

Windows, 2.4ghz, 512mb, 80gig Never experienced this problem until the upgrade (?) to PS 8.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! Debbie

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DM
Debbie_Metcalf
Jan 5, 2004
Also, the preview image shows in the "open file" dialog box. Just teasing I guess…
B
BLUDVLZ
Jan 5, 2004
Debbie,

How are you opening the files? By Double-clicking? By dragging them into Photoshop? By using the File>Open command? By accessing the file from the Open Recent command?

Can you open a file via any other method? Can you place the file into another app?
H
Ho
Jan 5, 2004
I also have a PSD file that refuses to open in CS (same error message), although it opens fine in PS6. I think I read recently that deleting the CS prefs file can cure this. I haven’t tried it yet because I’m still using 6 and not CS.
DM
Debbie_Metcalf
Jan 5, 2004
Fixed it!! I changed the "cache" (edit>preferences>memory and image cache) from it’s default setting of 6 to 4. Seems to have cleared up the problem. I have no idea what it does, but the images will now open!
H
Ho
Jan 5, 2004
Debbie,

That worked for me too. Had to restart CS for it to take effect.

Something else I just noticed (probably unrelated) is that it takes a LONG time for CS to generate the image preview of large files in the Open dialog box. It takes several seconds for the preview to appear whereas with PS6 it came up instantly.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections