LL
Posted By
larry_Letzer
Jan 4, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
We have been using Photoshop since ver 4.0. We have lost the install disk, but have the serial number. This was a registered version. We have been upgrading since then. We had a computer malfunction and have lost our data. The last version was CS.

What is the easiest solution to get a new install disk?

Can I legally buy a former version on ebay and using my serial number that came with our original version and the 8.0 serial number upgrade to CS? We have the CS upgrade.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

I
ID._Awe
Jan 4, 2004
Phone customer service, if you have registered the product, you should have no problem getting a replacement disk.
RL
Robert_Levine
Jan 4, 2004
Lost the install disk for which version? 4.0? You shouldn’t need it if you’ve been upgrading all along. You can use any earlier version for verification purposes so as long as you have 5, 5.5, 6, or 7 CDs you should be okay.

Bob
LL
larry_Letzer
Jan 4, 2004
Bob, Thank you for the answer. All of the other disks are upgrade disks. It is my understanding we need an original install disk which is the one we lost. Actually, I think a computer technician took it when he worked on our computer a while back.

We have 5.0, 6.0, 7.0 and CS, but all are upgrade versions. The computer says its looking for a former Photoshop version as the upgrade versions need the original.
LL
larry_Letzer
Jan 4, 2004
Thank you, this may be the best method of obtaining a replacement.
P
Phosphor
Jan 4, 2004
Lesson learned, Larry.

Lock up those install disks!

Anyway, if you’ve been a registered user, any problems should be easy to resolve with a call to an Adobe C.S.R.
RL
Robert_Levine
Jan 4, 2004
That’s not my experience. I’ve upgraded using upgrade version CDs. Have you tried it?

Bob
LL
larry_Letzer
Jan 4, 2004
My son, who is the PS guru in our studio has tried to install using the upgrade disk(s). He said the computer is looking for a previous version.

Hi Phosphor, Thanks for the guidance. We feel the install disk went with a repairman when he took the computer to his shop several years ago to add hard drives and to totally reconfigure the computer.

This is our assumption. We called him to ask if he accidently kept our install disk. You guessed his answer.
PH
Photo_Help
Jan 4, 2004
Larry,

Your son does know that you don’t need to install each version on top of the other right? This is a common misconception. I believe you can just start the CS install and insert any of the previous upgrade CD’s when it asks.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jan 4, 2004
That certainly worked with all versions up through 7.
A previous original version was not required, upgrade CD was fine.

Mac
LL
larry_Letzer
Jan 4, 2004
Thank you all. You don’t know how good this made me feel to tell him something about computers that will work. He has such a superior attitude when it comes to me and computers.
Y
YrbkMgr
Jan 4, 2004
A previous original version was not required, upgrade CD was fine

It is my understanding that in order to install an upgrade version, even from CD, you need to have a qualifying product. If you reformat a HD, and don’t have at least one qualifying product upon which to upgrade (either installed or on disc), then an upgrade won’t install.

I believe that Customer Service may be the best route.

Peace,
Tony
RL
Robert_Levine
Jan 4, 2004
That’s correct Tony. But he stated that he had every version from 4.0 on but had lost 4.0. The others were upgrade versions and he thought he had to have the original 4.0.

Not true. Any of the intermediate upgrade CDs are fine for verification purposes even if they are upgrade versions themselves.

BTW, it’s really good to have you back.

Bob
Y
YrbkMgr
Jan 4, 2004
Bob,

The others were upgrade versions and he thought he had to have the original

Then what do the upgrades use to verify a qualifying product? If you have 5.0, 5.5, 6.0, 7.0, and CS, as upgrades, won’t the install for ANY of those upgrades look for SOME qualifying product? Are you saying that when prompted for the qualifying product, one can simply insert an upgrade disk, without anything installed, and the version 7 upgrade (for example) will read the version 6 upgrade disk and accept that as a qualifying product? I’ve never tried it, so I’m curious.

Thanks pal. I’m done pouting <grin>.

Peace,
Tony
PH
Photo_Help
Jan 4, 2004

It is? 🙂

J/K Tony. Welcome back!
RL
Robert_Levine
Jan 4, 2004
wrote:

If you have 5.0, 5.5, 6.0, 7.0, and CS, as upgrades

Given that scenario, the only version that won’t install would be 5.0. You could use the 5.0 CD for verification of any of the others, however.

Bob
RL
Robert_Levine
Jan 4, 2004
Thanks pal. I’m done pouting <grin>.

We’ll see about that. 🙂

Bob
LL
larry_Letzer
Jan 4, 2004
We tried that, but the install said we have too many activations. We installed it on our studio machine (the one that had major problems so we bought a new machine and once on our laptop. Now that we tried to put it on the new machine it tells us we have too many installations.

What gives?
PH
Photo_Help
Jan 4, 2004
Tony,

Are you saying that when prompted for the qualifying product, one can simply insert an upgrade disk, without anything installed.

Yes.
PH
Photo_Help
Jan 4, 2004
Larry,

CS can only be activated on two computers. Since it has already been activated twice Adobe is not allowing another activation. You will need to call them and explain what has happened.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jan 4, 2004
Are you saying that when prompted for the qualifying product, one can simply insert an upgrade disk, without anything installed. Yes.
Confirmed.
I did 6 and 7 that way.
Heck, the only actual original version I ever owned was 2.5 (educational), on diskette!

Mac
CW
Colin_Walls
Jan 4, 2004
Not true. Any of the intermediate upgrade CDs are fine for verification purposes even if they are upgrade versions themselves

This doesn’t make much sense. It means I could have bought the PS 7 upgrade and the CS upgrade for <$300 and end up with something I shoul dbe paying >$700 for.
PH
Photo_Help
Jan 4, 2004
Colin,

No. It meas you could pay almost $300 for an illegal photoshop install (No better than buying a bootleg copy on Ebay) or pay >$700 to be legal.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jan 4, 2004
Actually, at least through 6, you could simply borrow someone else’s previous version CD (either full version or upgrade) or even a CD-R and install. You *did* also need a valid serial number from a full version, however.

Ironically, with 7, you no longer even needed a previous valid serial number, as 7 (including upgrade), had it’s own.

I haven’t loaded CS, so can’t report on exactly how it works.

Mac
RL
Robert_Levine
Jan 4, 2004
And, you’d still need a serial number.

Bob
Y
YrbkMgr
Jan 5, 2004
Interesting. Thanks for the clarification guys.
CW
Colin_Walls
Jan 5, 2004
PH:

Just to be clear: I wasn’t suggesting or planning this – I was just surprised that it was possible. No wonder Adobe feel the need to go down the activation route …
PH
Photo_Help
Jan 5, 2004
Colin,

Most upgrades work that way. For many reasons…

* Phone calls to send out replacement media when someone looses or breaks a 10 year old install disk.

* Many people need to go back to floppy disks to get to a version that isn’t an upgrade.

* Most programs used to just ask for a serial number but SN’s are so easy to get now that the media check added another layer of protection.
LM
Leland_McArthy
Jan 8, 2004
Upgrade discs do not provide verification of ownership. I have upgraded through v. 7. The install looks on your hard disk for a previous legal version (v. 4 or above). If it cannot find it, it asks for verification by presentation of the original, non-upgrade media (again, v. 4 or above only). I have taken an old install on another hard drive, mounted the drive over the network, copied the photoshop folder from the Program Files directory, had it look at that folder and it worked to verify. But the upgrade CD’s are not sufficient proof of ownership for the upgrade.
Y
YrbkMgr
Jan 8, 2004
But the upgrade CD’s are not sufficient proof of ownership for the upgrade.

That’s what I thought, but others seem to dissent.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jan 8, 2004
I installed 7upgrad using 6 upgrade version CD as verification. Before that I installed 6 upgrade version using 5 (or 5.5, can’t remember) upgrade version CD as verification.

The only full version I ever had was 2.5 and never used that after 3.0 for anything.

Mac
RL
Robert_Levine
Jan 8, 2004
That’s what I thought, but others seem to dissent.

I’ll continue to dissent. The only full version I’ve ever had was 3.0. I used my 7.0 upgrade CD for verification to install the CS suite on my laptop.

Bob
JB
Jonathan_Balza
Jan 8, 2004
My $.02:

I just tested installing CS on my laptop (I’d been meaning to do it anyway) using my 7.0 upgrade CD as verification. It worked like a charm.
CW
Colin_Walls
Jan 9, 2004
I guess this means that Adobe are being nice to us!!

[Sorry, but these guys have been getting bad press elsewhere in he forum.]

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections