GZ
Posted By
Gail_Zella
Jan 3, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When a photo is taken and the subject has his eyes closed and the photo op cannot be repeated, can a Photoshopper open them, and if so, how?
As simple as possible, please. I’m not into marathon corrections. Thanks,

Gazellus

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CW
Colin_Walls
Jan 3, 2004
The only way would be to "clone" some eyes onto the image from another picture [preferably of the same subject]. However, it would be a non-trivial task to get it to look right. You might want to do a Google search for PS tutorials on retouching.
RL
Robert_Levine
Jan 3, 2004
I’m not into marathon corrections.

Well then, you’ve got a problem. Because it’s no small task if you want it to look right.

As already pointed out, check the web for tutorials. www.retouchpro.com might be of some help, also.

Bob
PH
Photo_Help
Jan 4, 2004
Gail,

Is it possible just to re-shoot that person (To get a good shot of their eyes). Just recapture the angle and the lighting if possible. It will make things a lot easier.

Next best would be to shoot a picture of someone else with similar features. Again match the angle and lighting as much as possible.

Last resort… Google < http://images.google.com/images?q=eyes&ie=ISO-8859-1&amp ;hl=en>

Bottom line, this is going to take some time. All you can do now is take the necessary steps to get the best results with the least amount of work. As edits go this is not an incredibly difficult one but it will take time to make it look like there was never a problem to begin with.
ED
Emma_d_Anise
Jan 5, 2004
You’re asking PS to recover data that was never originally in the image. As the others have said, no matter what, this will be a "marathon retouching" project. Do you have another photo of that particular subject with the eyes open? If so, as others have said, you can "fake" them in but it is pretty difficult to do while retaining a natural look to the photo. Look for an image wherein your subject is facing the same way and the photo is taken at a similar angle. Projects such as these are never simple single button/filter/plug-in/action type undertakings, sorry. But good luck if you do try the suggestions above. I have successfully done this using the advice given here.

~Em
B
BLUDVLZ
Jan 5, 2004
Hey Em! How’s life treating you?
JS
John_Slate
Jan 5, 2004
This is just like the whole red-eye issue!

Photoshop really should have an "eye-opening" filter or tool<g>
LC
Lee_Clayton
Jan 5, 2004
It can be done…just takes some time and patience! Here is the steps that I use. Open alternative photo of same person in similar light if possible. Use lasso and go around the eye and include the eyebrow. Feather lasso selection by 10px. Copy that eye to its own layer and name it RIGHT Eye or left eye as the case may be. Make sure each is copied to separate layers. Then drag the layers from the open eyed photo over to the closed eye photo. Then close down the Open eyed photo.

Now with the Closed eye photo open, only show the Right eye and the background. Turn off the other eye layer. Use the Transform tool to move the eye into place and to resize it and rotate it. You probably need to turn down the opacity on the eye layer so that you can match the eyebrows. Once it is resized and positioned correctly, turn up the opacity to 100%. Now a little smudging or healing brush or cloning to make it appear a little more life like.

Now do the same thing with the second eye.

I had a Christmas card we did this year that my daughter in law had her eyes closed in an outdoor shot we did earlier in the year. With a little work (about 30 minutes) both eyes were opened and no one could tell except the photographer and the PS expert (me).
PH
Photo_Help
Jan 5, 2004
Lee,

I hope Gail is as lucky and it is just a group picture where the focus isn’t going to be on one persons eyes. When the eye is that small relative to the picture it isn’t much more difficult than correcting red eye.

If you have ever had to do the same to a close up of one person where the eyes are one of the main focal points of the image the details are much more important.
RH
r_harvey
Jan 5, 2004
Sunglasses.
LC
Lee_Clayton
Jan 5, 2004
Here is a link to the tutorial I first used to learn this technique. I would suggest starting on a very simple subject by taking a photo of a person you know first with eyes open and the same basic shot with eyes closed. Play with the tutorial using these two very similar shots. Once you get the technique down then start experimenting and you will be amazed at what you can figure out how to make it look very life like. I wouldn’t do this on a portrait but for a wedding and the bride is coming down the isle with her dad and the ONE and only shot you got was with one of them with their eyes blinking! Use this and you will be the hero of the day!

< http://digitalphotographers.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=9 196015511&f=7576007511&m=1786015154>

Remember if the above link does not work that it must be all on one line in your browser so just copy / paste the second half of the line into the browser address line.

Let me know how it works.

Lee Clayton
DG
Dion_Geaney
Jan 5, 2004
!

The perfect solution!
ED
Emma_d_Anise
Jan 5, 2004
Heya Blu! I’ve been good, you? It’s been a while since I’ve posted here in the main forum, hasn’t it? What’s going on around these parts?
B
BLUDVLZ
Jan 5, 2004
Hey Em,

Been very, very busy. Almost never get to check the forums nowadays; even more seldom get a chance to post anything.

Other than a few minor irritations with a neighbor and a few clients, things are going pretty well. Gotta find a way to bang out 12 commercial scripts and storyboards by Wednesday…

I’m so screwed.
ED
Emma_d_Anise
Jan 5, 2004
Ew. That sounds lovely. Godspeed on the storyboards and scripts! I’ve been pretty busy too so it’s been difficult for me to check any forums either but it’s good to hear/read from you. I do post a drive-by in here or the lounge from time to time. About which, by the way, we’ll be reminded in a moment or two…
J
joevan
Jan 6, 2004
On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 07:33:12 -0800, wrote:

Heya Blu! I’ve been good, you? It’s been a while since I’ve posted here in the main forum, hasn’t it? What’s going on around these parts?
Word Wrap, oh where have you gone.
joevan
SH
Steve Hughes
Jan 6, 2004
I have solved this in the past by copying the entire face or head from another photo
Much easier than matching in the eyes
overlay the face and make transparent to align then use as much or little as necessary
using the transparency also helps when adjusting scale
Steve
wrote in message
Ew. That sounds lovely. Godspeed on the storyboards and scripts! I’ve been
pretty busy too so it’s been difficult for me to check any forums either but it’s good to hear/read from you. I do post a drive-by in here or the lounge from time to time. About which, by the way, we’ll be reminded in a moment or two…

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections