DH
Posted By
Dennis Herrick
Jan 29, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
The past two days I’ve had photoshop (ver 7) crash twice. Once it locked up and stop responding and once it just closed. Both times I had a large number of scans to save which I lost. The first time, what seemed to lock it was opening Firefox browser. The second time when I just closed on me losing all my work, Firefox opened without me doing anything (I was doing ctrl-W to close and Y to save and don’t think I hit any other keys)

I’m not sure if Firefox had any relationship to it or if it was just coincidence. Maybe photoshop can’t handle a large number of unsaved scans (probably around 100 and I know about saving work, but for other reasons do it this way)

Windows XP, IBM Thinkpad 1.7 mhz, I gig RAM, nothing else running

Any suggestions?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

BH
Bill Hilton
Jan 29, 2005
The past two days I’ve had photoshop (ver 7) crash twice. Both times I ha
DH
Dennis Herrick
Jan 29, 2005
Bill, thanks for the suggestions…. I should have thought of using scanner software separately, but since I usually save after a group and go direct to working in Photoshop, I never did. I’ll give that a try.

"Bill Hilton" wrote in message
The past two days I’ve had photoshop (ver 7) crash twice. Both times I had a large number of scans to save which I lost.
Maybe photoshop can’t handle a large number of unsaved scans (probably around 100 …)

I’ve had PS crash a couple of times while scanning when I had several large unsaved scans open and I eventually blamed it on memory conflicts between the scanner software and Photoshop once you’re deep into the RAM, and let it go at that.

Any suggestions?

Two … a) scan with just the scanner software app open instead of directly into Photoshop via Twain, and save off the files every so often (say once their combined file size is 50% of your RAM) or b) scan in Photoshop and save after every few files, certainly before you start working on the scratch disk. Once I started scanning this way I never lost another scanned file due to a crash.

"nothing else" includes Photoshop and the scanner app over a Twain interface, right? That could be enough once you have enough files open that Photoshop needs to go to the scratch disk and then the scanner asks for more memory … the scanner app probably doesn’t handle the memory requirements as well as Photoshop, is my guess. At least that’s what I think is going on with NikonScan.

Bill
B
beaver
Jan 29, 2005

Unlikely, with Xp there are always many things running. Even though Firefox is far, far safer than IE nevertheless my suspicions would be aroused if the browser opened of its own accord and I would immediateky do a scan for spyware and use a startup utility to examine exactly what was running in the background.

There are a number of small and uninvited programs which can consume large amounts of memory. Sounds like you are working at the edge and it wouldn’t take much to tip you over

B
E
eastside
Jan 29, 2005

"nothing else" includes Photoshop and the scanner app over a Twain interface, right? That could be enough once you have enough files open that Photoshop needs to go to the scratch disk and then the scanner asks for more memory … the scanner app probably doesn’t handle the memory requirements as well as Photoshop, is my guess. At least that’s what I think is going on with NikonScan.

Bill

He’s using PS 7. Hasn’t PS been notorious for using a "custom" memory managment scheme that could cause problems for other programs even if they followed the rules? However, I think the problem is indeed in NS. I use it standalone. Almost every time I perform a scan it crashes on exit, a classic sign in Windows programming that there’s a bug in the exit deallocation routines. NS doesn’t crash if a scan hasn’t been performed,
i.e. no extra memory has been allocated. Fortunately this has always been
after the scans have been saved. It’ll also crash if I’m using TWAIN taking PS with it, which is why I don’t use TWAIN.

Dane
Y
yonzie
Feb 7, 2005
beaver wrote:

Unlikely, with Xp there are always many things running. Even though Firefox is far, far safer than IE nevertheless my suspicions would be aroused if the browser opened of its own accord and I would immediateky do a scan for spyware and use a startup utility to examine exactly what was running in the background.

There are a number of small and uninvited programs which can consume large amounts of memory. Sounds like you are working at the edge and it wouldn’t take much to tip you over

B
There was a good writeup about firefox in the last issue of Wired magazine dale
CC
Chris Cox
Feb 13, 2005
In article <w8UKd.40269$>,
Eastside wrote:

Bill

He’s using PS 7. Hasn’t PS been notorious for using a "custom" memory managment scheme that could cause problems for other programs even if they followed the rules?

No.

However, I think the problem is indeed in NS. I use it standalone. Almost every time I perform a scan it crashes on exit, a classic sign in Windows programming that there’s a bug in the exit deallocation routines. NS doesn’t crash if a scan hasn’t been performed,
i.e. no extra memory has been allocated. Fortunately this has always been
after the scans have been saved. It’ll also crash if I’m using TWAIN taking PS with it, which is why I don’t use TWAIN.

NikonScan is all-too-well-known for it’s memory leaks and crashes (on Windows and Macintosh).

Chris

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections