FC
Posted By
Fabienne_Christenson
Jan 2, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I bought a new monitor, a Samsung 19". It came with its own calibration software but XP over-rode it. The screen was too dark and I adjusted the gamma settings and it looked fine.

However, the settings do not stay when I restart the machine. I am having to redo the calibration each time I restart. Is there some way that I can get my computer to recognize the gamma setting and use it as the default? Thanks.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

RP
Russell_Proulx
Jan 2, 2004
It came with its own calibration software but XP over-rode it.

Over-wrote it with what? Photoshop installs Adobe Gamma and loads it via your startup folder and that is what you should use if you don’t own a hardware calibrator (Colorvision Spyder, Gratag Eye-One, MonacoOPTIX, etc..).

Uninstall the Natural Color software and make sure that Adobe Gamma is the ONLY color management utility that’s loading in your start-up folder. Use the Adobe Gamma utility to adjust your brightness, contrast, etc..

Confirm that the profile it creates is the ONLY profile listed in the ‘Desktop/Right-Click -> Properties -> Settings -> Advanced -> Color Management’ menu. Delete any others you find in there.

Russell
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Jan 2, 2004
Russell, I suddenly had the same problem this past week, and I do use the ColorVision calibration. It’s profile was the only thing loaded in the Color Management menu. What I finally did was to go to the startup menu and disable Adobe Gamma. I even went to the Calibration folder for Adobe and added a tilde to the file name. I had neglected to do this when I re-installed the os and installed CS. The strange thing about it was that for at least a month, all was well. Then suddenly, boom! My display changed from startup colors to the ColorVision correction, then finally, way too blue.
RP
Russell_Proulx
Jan 2, 2004
What I finally did was to go to the startup menu and disable Adobe Gamma. I even went to the Calibration folder for Adobe and added a tilde to the file name.

You should not be using both Adobe Gamma and Colorvision software at the same time. Colorvision writes that in their instructions.

No need to add a ~ character to the original Adobe Gamma control panel. If it isn’t loading via your startup folder then there’s no other way it can run.

Glad to hear it’s fixed 🙂

Russell
FC
Fabienne_Christenson
Jan 2, 2004
Thank you, Russell. I will try your good advice and hope that it does work. Very tiresome to have to redo the calibration every time you reboot.
FC
Fabienne_Christenson
Jan 2, 2004
It does look fixed. I removed the Natural Color shortcut to the loader from my startup menus and now it reboots with the Adobe Gamma Loader. Great. I will have to try to reboot a couple of times before I declare that it is all finally going the way I want. Thank you very much for your good thoughts on the subject.
IL
Ian_Lyons
Jan 2, 2004
You should not be using both Adobe Gamma and Colorvision software at the same time. Colorvision writes that in their instructions.

I think Lawrence knows that. The point is that it very easy to forget. If I had a £/$ for every email I received from someone who as it turned out made the same mistake I’d be worth a fortune.

BTW: If you’re not familiar with were Windows hides startup applications a very quick and easy way of finding out is to run "msconfig" from the Start>Run menu.

"msconfig" even allows you disable the application, but since this facility is really only for diagnostic purposes I do NOT recommend that you use it for disabling. Instead just remove the offending application shortcut from the the "All Users Startup" folder. The following screenshots show how to get to "msconfig"

<http://www.computer-darkroom.com/mscon/config.htm>
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Jan 2, 2004
msconfig isn’t available for W2k without installing it as a download. If any people need it, I’d be happy to send it on.

You are correct, Ian, I did know it, but I assumed that if I associated the ColorVision with the monitor, Gamma would not interfere. What is puzzling is why it waited so long to decide it wanted in on the action! 😉

Tilding the "Calibration" folder is sort of saying: "In your face, Gamma"!
RP
Russell_Proulx
Jan 3, 2004
"msconfig" even allows you disable the application, but since this facility is really only for diagnostic purposes I do NOT recommend that you use it for disabling. Instead just remove the offending application shortcut from the the "All Users Startup" folder.

Unfortunately not all apps are friendly enough to load via the startup folder. Some load via the RUN tab buried deep in the Registry and you have to dig in there with Regedit to root it out. I think I’ve also seen the odd case where something loads via the win.ini or system.ini which still exist in XP. ‘Msconfig’ really helps to be able to see what’s really loading from sources other than the startup folder.

Great suggestion !

Russell
JC
James_Cupples
Jan 5, 2004
You might have already noticed that I posted a similar problem to your own, in the end I solved it very nicely by downloading a ‘free’ utility called Monitor Calibration Wizard which saves your settings and runs them automatically at start-up. It really is a brilliant tool and came highly recommended which I can concur with. Just type the name into Google and you will get a choice of links, good luck.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections