MW
Posted By
Mike_Woinoski
Dec 31, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m having a problem with a very basic Photoshop concept and thought maybe someone could help me out.

I’ve scanned a small piece of artwork (about 6" square). I’d like to be able to make print 6 copies of it on one sheet of 11" x 17" paper. I thought I could reduce the image size slightly, and either tile the image on a larger image or paste duplicate copies onto a large canvas. I tried creating a new empty image with a size of 11"x17", then resized the artwork image and copied-and-pasted the new image onto the large empty canvas. However, the copy was about twice as large as the original.

I’m confused about the difference between image size and canvas size. Also, when I view the scanned image at what seems to be its actual size (based on the ruler in the image’s window), the title bar shows that it’s displayed at 15%. Why is the scanned image so large?

Feel free to point me to sections in Photoshop help, if this is covered in the docs.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
Brian
Dec 31, 2003
Mike_Woinoski wrote:

I’m confused about the difference between image size and canvas size.

Try making your image significantly larger using both options, and note the difference in the result.

Also, when I view the scanned image at what seems to be its actual size (based on the ruler in the image’s window), the title bar shows that it’s displayed at 15%. Why is the scanned image so large?

The percentage refers to the pixels, not the print size; when you view an image at 100% in Photoshop that means that each image pixel is being displayed by 1 monitor pixel.
Y
YrbkMgr
Dec 31, 2003
I tried creating a new empty image with a size of 11"x17", then resized the artwork image and copied-and-pasted the new image onto the large empty canvas. However, the copy was about twice as large as the original.

This suggests that the default ppi setting of your New Canvas (File|New) is lower than the ppi of your scanned image.

On your original image, do Image|Image Size… and see what the ppi is. Then do File|New… and make the 11 x 17 with the same ppi settings of your original image, and you should get what you expect.

Peace,
Tony

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections