LB
Posted By
Linda_Baldwin
Dec 31, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I don’t know much about actions, especially what you can and can’t do when recording them. I have a friend who has exactly 3 hot pixels on his digital camera sensor. Of course they are always at the same place in his images as long as he uses the same resolution for shooting each. What I’d like to do for him is make an action that would open the clone tool, choose 1 pixel as brush size. Then alt click for a source sample from the pixel immediately to the right of the hot pixel. Then click on the hot pixel to copy the source. This would be repeated 2 more times, once for each of the other hot pixels.

First, when I try to record the action, after I select source sample, when I click on the hot pixel to clone, nothing happens, the hot pixel does not change color. Second, if I can ever get this to work (it will be my first recorded action), will the pixel coordinates be included in the action so that for each image the same pixels will be selected and cloned?

Thanks,
Linda

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Dec 31, 2003
Linda,

Clone Tool is not the best option for an automated process. Instead, I´d try to make a 1×1 (perhaps 3×3 if the pixel bleeds) selection in the immediate vicinity of each pixel, copy the contents to a new layer and nudge it into place.

I believe selections coordinates are recorded.
DR
Danny_Raphael
Dec 31, 2003
Hi Linda:

Nathias is right: The clone tool and other brush-type tools, e.g., brush, eraser, burn, dodge, etc. are not supported in actions.

Here’s another way to do it using good ol’ copy and paste. (I just tried it.)

Open a sample image. You might oversharpen it via Unsharp Mask to make the pixel edges show up a little better.

Zoom in as far as you need in order to see the individual pixels. (I was zoomed to 1600% [max] for a 72 ppi image.)

Choose rectangular selection tool. (Style=normal, Feather=0) View > Snap (off)
View > Snap to > None
(I don’t know if the two previous settings are necessary, but that’s how mine are set.)

Start recording.
Select good pixel (selection rectangle should snap to the pixel edges) Edit > Copy
Select > None
Drag selection rectangle around hot pixel
Edit > Paste
Layer > Merge down
Repeat for pixels 2, 3
Stop recording

– – – – –

Once the action is tested/confirmed to work, it can be invoked through File > Automate > Batch and applied to a folder full of images at a time. Not difficult, but another discussion when you’re ready to take that leap.

Keep us posted on how it goes. Thanks for asking. I learned something today.

~Danny~
DR
Danny_Raphael
Dec 31, 2003
Sorry, that should have been "’Mathias’ is right…"

As he suggested maybe 3×3 would be better than a single pixel. Try it both ways and see which works for you.
B
Bernie
Jan 2, 2004
This should work:
Start recording your action / Make a new layer mask for each dead pixel / select that hot spot and delete it in the mask. makind a hole in the mask. Move the mask over on pixel copy that pixel then move the mask back over and paste.
Play with this it should get you in the ball park

Good luck
Bigcat
On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 07:43:56 -0800,
wrote:

I don’t know much about actions, especially what you can and can’t do when recording them. I have a friend who has exactly 3 hot pixels on his digital camera sensor. Of course they are always at the same place in his images as long as he uses the same resolution for shooting each. What I’d like to do for him is make an action that would open the clone tool, choose 1 pixel as brush size. Then alt click for a source sample from the pixel immediately to the right of the hot pixel. Then click on the hot pixel to copy the source. This would be repeated 2 more times, once for each of the other hot pixels.

First, when I try to record the action, after I select source sample, when I click on the hot pixel to clone, nothing happens, the hot pixel does not change color. Second, if I can ever get this to work (it will be my first recorded action), will the pixel coordinates be included in the action so that for each image the same pixels will be selected and cloned?

Thanks,
Linda

____________________________________________________________ ___________________ Posted Via Uncensored-News.Com – Accounts Starting At $6.95 – http://www.uncensored-news.com <><><><><><><> The Worlds Uncensored News Source <><><><><><><><>

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections