P
Posted By
Pickman
Dec 31, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I might have guessed it. I installed the trial of Photoshop CS PARALLEL to my full installation of Photoshop 7. I preserved all the file associations but nevertheless my droplets opened in Photoshop CS Trial instead of PS7.

So I deinstalled the Trial (did not like it anyway) but ever since, none of my Droplets work anymore.

When i try to drop Files on my "save for Web"-droplet for example, Photoshop 7 starts, but does not open any image, nor does happen anything else but starting the applicaton.

Any help on this matter is very much appreciated.

My system is Windows 2000, reinstalling Photoshop 7 does not help as doesn’t recreating the droplets from scratch.

NO Droplet works, even the type repair droplet from adobe.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Y
YrbkMgr
Dec 31, 2003
I’ve always had trouble with droplets running unless photoshop 7 was already open. It’s probably due to the fact that I’m win98se and there’s some minor thing I’ve never bothered to troubleshoot. Try to run your droplet with PS open and see if that works.

Peace,
Tony
P
Pickman
Jan 2, 2004
Thanks for your suggestion. I tried to have PS opened while starting the droples. result is the same, nothing happens. Strange thing is, it worked perfect before i installed the trial version of CS.
Y
YrbkMgr
Jan 2, 2004
I’m not sure it’ll help but try resetting your preferences per the procedure in the FAQ. It’s the only thing I can think of that may still be around after an uninstall of CS.

Peace,
Tony
DR
Danny_Raphael
Jan 2, 2004
How about PS7 (now). Do the droplets you’re trying w/o success in CS still work under PS7?

Can you create droplets in the CS trial? If so, does a CS-created droplet work with CS?

I’m wondering if droplets created under PS7 don’t work under CS for reasons related to the physical location of the respective .exe files???

Tony: Doesn’t the .exe call the mother program and just pass it the settings? Maybe something’s getting lost in the shuffle.
Y
YrbkMgr
Jan 2, 2004
Danny,

How about PS7 (now). Do the droplets you’re trying w/o success in CS still work under PS7?

As I read it, it appears he installed the CS Trial Version, ran into problems, and uninstalled it. I’m not 100% sure I have that right, but I think we’re only talking about PS7 at this point.

Doesn’t the .exe call the mother program

Yes, as far as I am aware, via registry settings. Early on I ran droplets, and couldn’t find much functional advantage for me so I went back to Batch Actions, but in the limited testing I did, Photoshop opened, but did not run the droplet, so I abandoned troubleshooting it.

In this forum it had been discussed many times, a situation where, double clicking on a PSD from explorer would launch Photoshop, but the file that was clicked wouldn’t get passed to the program – so you’d just have a blank photoshop workspace. The answer, iirc, was to add the %1 to some registry setting – I’m fuzzy on the actual answer because I never cared about it. I drag-n-drop as a matter of habit anyway, so it wasn’t an issue for me.

But the above situation is what makes me think that there may be an issue with a registry changed caused by the CS install – maybe something as simple as turning off explorer thumbs in XP – I don’t know. But since the droplet launches the app and params aren’t being passed to the app, I’m guessing a registry issue. It’s all conjecture, but that’s how I think about it.

Perhaps a fresh install of PS 7 will correct it. <shrug>.

Peace,
Tony
P
Pickman
Jan 3, 2004
Many thanks for all the comments. Here’s what I did so far:

-Deinstalled the trial of CS
-Deinstalled the full Version of Photoshop 7
-Deleted EVERYTHING in the registry, that might have something to do with ADOBE. -Reinstalled Full Version of Photoshop 7.

Result: The problem is still there. Even deleting the preferences, or rebooting does nothing. Droplets open Photoshop 7 and then nothing happens.

Before the installation of the Photoshop CS-Trail everything was fine. It seems that Photoshop CS Trial grabbed the droplets and kept them after Deinstallation.

I think I have to go back to a backuped Version of my harddisk, but this problem should be solved. There’s definitely too much going on, if even a complete reinstall does not bring back the droplet functionality.
DR
Danny_Raphael
Jan 30, 2004
I’ve been troubleshooting with a forum chum (Dave) who reported similar symptoms. Wanted to add the details of his situation to this thread in case anyone else runs into this unusual behavior.

Dave’s symptoms:
* He had PS 7
* Upgraded to CS
* Uninstalled PS 7
* He wrote a very basic 2-step action (sharpen + Save for the web) and from it created his first droplet
* When he drag/dropped the source image folder onto the droplet icon, nothing happened

Troubleshooting steps:
* We verified all the settings that can get you into trouble in the Create droplets dialog were okay
* He sent me the .atn on which the droplet was based and I created a droplet from it under PS 7. It worked fine.
* He reinstalled PS 7. (Note: He did not uninstall CS)

Results:
* Droplets created under CS now work fine. When a folder of images is drag/dropped onto the droplet icon, CS is invoked to play the action regardless if CS was up or not when the droplet was launched.

How this is slightly different than Pickman’s situation: * Pickman had installed the CS trial vs. the CS upgrade. Not sure why this would make a difference, but then again… ?
* Pickman uninstalled/reinstalled CS and PS 7 while Dave only uninstalled/reinstalled PS 7.

Fade in the "Twlight Zone" music anytime.

At some future point Dave’s going to roll the dice and uninstall PS 7 again to see if the symptoms can be recreated, but not until he gets some work done!

~Danny~
Y
YrbkMgr
Jan 30, 2004
Wow. Excellent work Danny.
P
Pickman
Jan 30, 2004
Meanwhile i put a backup of my harddisk into place, bacause i too had some work to be done. Still want to know what has happened. Last bug I reported took over a year to solve. Lets see, if this mystery will ever be solved.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections