X
Posted By
Xeon
Dec 30, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi! I’m given a set of instructions to make an imported image smoother.(I copied and paste that WMF vector image in Photoshop)

The instructions are as :

1) Trace the graphic using the path tool in Photoshop
2) Get rid of the original graphic
3) Fill the path with black

I’ve never used paths before, so can someone roughly give me some hints to achieve this? Thanks! 🙂

Good day,
Xeon. 😉

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Y
YrbkMgr
Dec 30, 2003
Xeon,

There’s a lot to talk about in reference to Paths, but this is the quick start.

Click on your pen tool in the tools pallet. Look at the options bar, and select the middle option button called Path (not new shape layer or filled shape). Then you can use the pen tool to trace a rough outline of your object, and use the "add anchor point" pen to add points to drag around and fine tune your path.

When you look in the Paths Palette, you’ll see that you will have created a work path. Double clicking this will save the path with a name.

When the path is the way you want it, click on the Load Path as Selection button at the bottom of the Paths Palette, and then you can fill it with black.

That should get you started.

Peace,
Tony
SG
shecky_greene
Dec 30, 2003
If you have access to CorelDraw (you can even purchase on old version very inexpensively) you can use it to import the WMF which will read the all the vector paths in the file. No tracing required.
Then bring it into Photoshop to do whatever else you want to do with it.
X
Xeon
Dec 31, 2003
Thanks a lot, Shecky and Yrbk! 🙂
So, it seems that even if I follow these instructions, I still gotta edit the anchor points myself! 😀

From what I know, unless you’ve years of experience at doing such stuff(dragging anchor points here and there to smoothen the shape), it’s really hard to achieve, like using Microsoft Paint to draw a basic shape even. 😀
Y
YrbkMgr
Dec 31, 2003
I still gotta edit the anchor points myself!

Yep. But there’s a "cheat" so to speak. If you can select the object easily, say with the magic wand, or by some other means to isolate it with a selection, you can convert it to a path and tweak very little. After the item is selected, click on the marquee tool, then RIGHT click on your selection. A popup gives you the choice of Make Work Path. I usually use a 1.0 pixel in the dialog, but it defaults to 0.5 pixels.

In any event, it’s sometimes quicker to convert a selection, especially if you don’t have a lot of expertise with the pen. You’ll still have to tweak it, but it’s quicker.

Peace,
Tony
X
Xeon
Jan 1, 2004
Thanks a lot, Yrbk! I see now! 🙂

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections