Posted By
Jara_Jones
Dec 30, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
This problem seems to only occur on PS7

When I select a layer for modifying, then select the MOVE Tool, I cannot move the image in the layer to the desired location on the screen. The selection immediately jumps to the Background layer, which as I adjust the MOVE Tool, it alters the background.

Also, after switching to the background layer, I notice that, occassionally, there is a lock indication on that layer preventing even that layer from moving – which in this case is okay – but I had never set the lock on that layer in the first place.

I end up having to use the arrow keys on the keyboard to make the move. Is there a solution to this problem I’m not finding or do I need to reinstall my PS7?

I do not recall my PS6 and other previous versions of Photoshop having this problem.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DM
dave_milbut
Dec 30, 2003
uncheck autoselect layer in the options bar (after you select the move tool).
Y
YrbkMgr
Dec 30, 2003
but I had never set the lock on that layer in the first place.

Backgrounds are technically not layers, and are locked by default. To unlock it Alt double click on it to automatically convert it to a layer.

Peace,
Tony
JJ
Jara_Jones
Dec 30, 2003
The Auto Select Layer selection worked perfect. Thanks – That’s been driving me nuts for some time and I didn’t remember it being a problem on the earlier versions. In fact, I never even noticed that selection :-/
JJ
Jara_Jones
Dec 30, 2003
Just never noticed the layer locking, but never had to until the layer move problem popped up. Tried out your suggestion for a quick test and it works great. Thanks for your assistance.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections