H
Posted By
Hecate
Jan 16, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I’ve decided on an eMac at £649 plus the Applecare at £139. The coverage looks excellent even though a little pricey and the eMac has all the software they will need. Plus, as it’s a 17" CRT they’ll have no problems with sight and as it’s all built-in they’ll only have to attach keyboard, mouse, power and a printer. I’ve found a recommended printer from HP for £79 so that takes care of that.

I was sur[prised to see how easily Apple still shoot themselves in the foot, though. If I bought a monitor to go with my PC it’s come with a til-and-swivel monitor stand, With Apple it’s an extra £49. I really wish they’d look at how PCs are sold and compete better. Having said that, they are *so* stylish. They may not work any better than a PC but they are dro-dead gorgeous to look at – if I hadn’t restrained myself – I nearly bought one… 😉

So, one more question – I saw that I could get the parents Norton’s Personal Security software (firewall, AV etc) for £84. Is there any point? And if there is, is that the best, reasonably priced solution for the Mac (I noticed some other security software ion the Apple site from a company I didn’t know – Intego – which was a comparable price).

TIA,

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

W
WharfRat
Jan 16, 2004
in article , Hecate at
wrote on 1/15/04 5:51 PM:

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I’ve decided on an eMac at £649 plus the Applecare at £139. The coverage looks excellent even though a little pricey and the eMac has all the software they will need. Plus, as it’s a 17" CRT they’ll have no problems with sight and as it’s all built-in they’ll only have to attach keyboard, mouse, power and a printer. I’ve found a recommended printer from HP for £79 so that takes care of that.

I was sur[prised to see how easily Apple still shoot themselves in the foot, though. If I bought a monitor to go with my PC it’s come with a til-and-swivel monitor stand, With Apple it’s an extra £49. I really wish they’d look at how PCs are sold and compete better. Having said that, they are *so* stylish. They may not work any better than a PC but they are dro-dead gorgeous to look at – if I hadn’t restrained myself – I nearly bought one… 😉

So, one more question – I saw that I could get the parents Norton’s Personal Security software (firewall, AV etc) for £84. Is there any point? And if there is, is that the best, reasonably priced solution for the Mac (I noticed some other security software ion the Apple site from a company I didn’t know – Intego – which was a comparable price).

I have never run any anti-anything on any of my Macs, for years, and have never had a hint of any problems.

But – the future is still out there.

MSD
-xiray-
Jan 16, 2004
On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 01:51:00 +0000, Hecate wrote:

The Norton Antivirus software is a good idea. When purchasing the Internet Security suite the antivirus comes with it. If you’re running your Internet connection through DSL, then the firewall is probably a good idea.

BUT consider this, I would not run any computer without a virus program. I would not run a machine used for Business withou firewall software. And I would not run a personal computer on DSL that contains sensitive data (like banking information, etc) without a Firewall.

If you’re on dialup and if your computer doesn’t contain any critical info, then you can probably away without the firewall.
H
Hecate
Jan 17, 2004
On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 11:23:37 GMT, -xiray- wrote:

The Norton Antivirus software is a good idea. When purchasing the Internet Security suite the antivirus comes with it. If you’re running your Internet connection through DSL, then the firewall is probably a good idea.

BUT consider this, I would not run any computer without a virus program. I would not run a machine used for Business withou firewall software. And I would not run a personal computer on DSL that contains sensitive data (like banking information, etc) without a Firewall.
If you’re on dialup and if your computer doesn’t contain any critical info, then you can probably away without the firewall.
OK, that all makes sense, even for my aged parents. Personally I’d agree with all of the above, I was just wondering about Macs in particular. As my parents don’t have a clue, setting everything up re. AV and the Firewall should make them safe.

Thanks.

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
H
Hecate
Jan 17, 2004
On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 02:39:37 GMT, WharfRat
wrote:

I have never run any anti-anything on any of my Macs, for years, and have never had a hint of any problems.

But – the future is still out there.

Thanks. I think I’ll play safe with them 🙂

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
N
noreply
Jan 17, 2004
Hecate …

OK, that all makes sense, even for my aged parents. Personally I’d agree with all of the above, I was just wondering about Macs in particular. As my parents don’t have a clue, setting everything up re. AV and the Firewall should make them safe.

Thanks.

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui

You wait till they do get a clue and decide to look on
alt.graphics.photoshop to see what young Heccy has been getting up to and see you’ve been telling the world "my parents don’t have a clue". Get your excuses ready now.
By the way for ignoring my suggestion and its DSLR as part of the package here’s a link to the digital camera that’s all you can now afford.
http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id =84227. Should be all right with filter->sharpen->aggressive->and then some.

Brian
(the other one)
H
Hecate
Jan 18, 2004
On 17 Jan 2004 02:47:10 -0800, (mono) wrote:

Hecate …

Thanks.

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui

You wait till they do get a clue and decide to look on
alt.graphics.photoshop to see what young Heccy has been getting up to and see you’ve been telling the world "my parents don’t have a clue". Get your excuses ready now.

hahahaha!

By the way for ignoring my suggestion and its DSLR as part of the package here’s a link to the digital camera that’s all you can now afford.
http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id =84227. Should be all right with filter->sharpen->aggressive->and then some.
LOL! That has got to be the worst digital camera you could buy! You’d need more than a sharpen filter to improve that 🙂

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
S
Stephan
Jan 18, 2004
"Hecate" wrote in message
On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 11:23:37 GMT, -xiray- wrote:

So, one more question – I saw that I could get the parents Norton’s Personal Security software (firewall, AV etc) for
H
Hecate
Jan 19, 2004
On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 07:31:08 GMT, "Stephan"
wrote:

Thanks.

AV on Mac?
Yep. Now it’s Unix based I have a lot less confidence that Macs won’t be attacked as they are now a bigger target with all the other Unix machines around.

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
S
Stephan
Jan 19, 2004
"Hecate" wrote in message
On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 07:31:08 GMT, "Stephan"
wrote:

Thanks.

AV on Mac?
Yep. Now it’s Unix based I have a lot less confidence that Macs won’t be attacked as they are now a bigger target with all the other Unix machines around.
Thinking about it, you’re right.
About time Mac users join the fun.

Stephan

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections