H
Posted By
henrik2000
Oct 29, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello. Now i upgraded to 4 GB RAM (with Win XP Pro SP 1). Task Manager and several softwares tell me there are 4 GB RAM inside the machine. But Photoshop 7 and Photoshop CS only see 2 GB, as i can see from the "scratch sizes" display in the status bar. When i use "Help/System info", i get this information:

Built-in memory: 2048 MB
Free memory: 2048 MB
Memory available to Photoshop: 1778 MB
Memory used by Photoshop: 80 %

Also, now when i open just one small file of 1 MB and do nothing, Photoshop’s scratch size line says "590 M/1,34 G". So Photoshop says it needs 590 MB RAM right from the start. Why?

Do you know how i can bring Photoshop to use all 4 GB RAM? Is a Ramdisk helpful?

A propos: With my new 4 GB RAM i set the virtual files of Windows XP to 4 GB on drive C (4 GB min, 4 GB max). Is that a good setting, from a photoshopper’s viewpoint? Photoshop gets enough scratch discs on other partitions.

Thank you for all hints!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

EG
Eric Gill
Oct 29, 2003
(Henrik2000) wrote in
news::

Hello. Now i upgraded to 4 GB RAM (with Win XP Pro SP 1). Task Manager and several softwares tell me there are 4 GB RAM inside the machine. But Photoshop 7 and Photoshop CS only see 2 GB,

Yes. Under Current 32-bit Windows, applications can see a maximum of 2GB, the other two being useful only to Windows itself.

There is a way to give your apps up to 3GB, under, IIRC, the Server editions of Windows since 2K. It may be worth the upgrade for you.

Also, now when i open just one small file of 1 MB and do nothing, Photoshop’s scratch size line says "590 M/1,34 G". So Photoshop says it needs 590 MB RAM right from the start. Why?

Do you know how i can bring Photoshop to use all 4 GB RAM?

Wait for 64-bit Windows and 64-bit Photoshop, I’m afraid.

Is a Ramdisk helpful?

For temporary files it sure is. I use one for my page layout app and the difference is amazing.

A propos: With my new 4 GB RAM i set the virtual files of Windows XP to 4 GB on drive C (4 GB min, 4 GB max). Is that a good setting, from a photoshopper’s viewpoint? Photoshop gets enough scratch discs on other partitions.

Well, you would think that PS would no longer need Windows swapfile with all that available, but it does, and Adobe’s coders have made sure it stays that way.

I uses much lower settings to avoid the swap hesitation (256MB), and work just fine. YMMV.
H
henrik2000
Oct 30, 2003
Hi, thanks for your interesting comments!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections