C
Posted By
Cirene
Dec 31, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m a web developer/newb graphic artist. What is the best Photoshop CS book available? (Hopefully it will also contain content on slicing, rollovers, etc… also.)

Thanks!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

S
Stewart
Dec 31, 2004
I’ve found this site to be of use, http://www.good-tutorials.com/ there are some broken links but this covers nearly all aspects of what you will need 🙂

"Cirene" wrote in message
I’m a web developer/newb graphic artist. What is the best Photoshop CS
book
available? (Hopefully it will also contain content on slicing, rollovers, etc… also.)

Thanks!

NW
No Where Man
Dec 31, 2004
If you doing web development, Colin Smith (www.photoshopcafe.com) just released a dvd on integrating Photoshop and Dreamweaver.

If you’re new to PS, check out "Classroom in a Book" for the basics.
I
idlm
Jan 1, 2005
When I started using Photoshop, I found that following tutorials was the best way to educate myself. Some of the tutorials are for things I may never do, but they showed me how the tools work.

You can serach Google for tutorials, or go to sites like PhotoshopUser.com, MacDesignOnline.com

And if you can shell out the bucks, get a subscription to NAPP (PhotoshopUser.com)
H
Hecate
Jan 1, 2005
On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 05:32:31 GMT, "Cirene" wrote:

I’m a web developer/newb graphic artist. What is the best Photoshop CS book available? (Hopefully it will also contain content on slicing, rollovers, etc… also.)

Thanks!

For beginners, Photoshop CS Artistry.

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
N
noone
Jan 1, 2005
In article <Pv5Bd.187176$
says…

Thanks!

Cirene,

You might want to do a Google.Groups search for your very question, as it has been asked many times in these two NGs. There are probably 6-8 titles that keep coming up, and most of the responses give publisher, ISBN, etc. I’ve read most, and agree with the responder’s recommendation, and each book offers things that the others do not. Amazon usually has a pretty good blurb on this type of publication, so you can weed out some that cover aspects of PS, that you will not be using, at least for now.

Hunt
C
cyclone
Jan 2, 2005
"Hecate" wrote in message
I’m a web developer/newb graphic artist. What is the best Photoshop CS book
available? (Hopefully it will also contain content on slicing, rollovers, etc… also.)

Thanks!

Isn’t Artistry more aimed at working with photos and the OP is a web developer/graphic artist?

And likewise Artistry isn’t really aimed at beginners is it?

Tony
H
Hecate
Jan 3, 2005
On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 19:17:03 +1000, "cyclone"
wrote:

"Hecate" wrote in message
I’m a web developer/newb graphic artist. What is the best Photoshop CS book

Thanks!

Isn’t Artistry more aimed at working with photos and the OP is a web developer/graphic artist?Artistry is aimed at teaching peop[le Photoshop.

Photoshop is an image processing program. Whatever Adobe might like to think Image Ready *isn’t* worth what you pay for it (it still wouldn’t be worth it if Adobe paid you to take it away). As for graphic arts, the OP should really be asking about Illustrator and Painter.

It certainly is.

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
C
cyclone
Jan 4, 2005
Isn’t Artistry more aimed at working with photos and the OP is a web developer/graphic artist?Artistry is aimed at teaching peop[le Photoshop.

Photoshop is an image processing program. Whatever Adobe might like to think Image Ready *isn’t* worth what you pay for it (it still wouldn’t be worth it if Adobe paid you to take it away). As for graphic arts, the OP should really be asking about Illustrator and Painter.

It certainly is.

Thanks, I mean no offence. My comments were based on several user reviews on Amazon :-

"This is definitely an intermediate to advanced book. If you are a beginner, I suggest you try Scott Kelby’s Photo-Retouching Secrets (ISBN: 0735711461). Once you master that, run to the store and buy this book."

"It’s definitely for the photographer, rather than the graphics artist."

"If you are a digital photographer with some Photoshop experience and want to become a Photoshop expert…"

"photographers more then artists. Most of the examples are about photo’s"

I’m a little prone to regurgitating stuff I’ve read rather than that I’ve had 1st hand experience with.

On the upside I received my copy of PS6 Artistry today. (ordered because of recommendations in the newsgroup – may have even been yours Hecate 🙂

On the downside, I’m bummed out because the example cd is broken – break runs from centre spindle to outer edge. Bought via Amazon from one of the Amazon resellers delivered airmail to Australia in USPS global priority mail cardboard envelope with no padding/bubblewrap etc. Have to see what the reseller has to say (donkeybookstore).

Tony
H
Hecate
Jan 4, 2005
On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 04:15:59 GMT, "cyclone"
wrote:

It certainly is.

Thanks, I mean no offence. My comments were based on several user reviews on Amazon :-

No Problem 😉

"This is definitely an intermediate to advanced book. If you are a beginner, I suggest you try Scott Kelby’s Photo-Retouching Secrets (ISBN: 0735711461). Once you master that, run to the store and buy this book."
"It’s definitely for the photographer, rather than the graphics artist."
"If you are a digital photographer with some Photoshop experience and want to become a Photoshop expert…"

"photographers more then artists. Most of the examples are about photo’s"
I’m a little prone to regurgitating stuff I’ve read rather than that I’ve had 1st hand experience with.

LOL! It’s a book I have a couple of versions of. So let me rephrase what I said:

Yes, it’s a book for *intelligent* beginners <g> This is *not* a for Dummies book – but I’m assuming you’re not a dummy 😉

On the upside I received my copy of PS6 Artistry today. (ordered because of recommendations in the newsgroup – may have even been yours Hecate 🙂

<g>

On the downside, I’m bummed out because the example cd is broken – break runs from centre spindle to outer edge. Bought via Amazon from one of the Amazon resellers delivered airmail to Australia in USPS global priority mail cardboard envelope with no padding/bubblewrap etc. Have to see what the reseller has to say (donkeybookstore).
Tony, you could always try the publisher. I believe that if you ask nicely and send them the broken CD they may replace it for a small fee.

Hope that Helps 🙂

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections