(CS) What startup stuff can be removed safely?

RP
Posted By
Russell_Proulx
Dec 27, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
What kind of stuff can be removed safely from Photoshop CS’s addons that would help speed it up? What about unneeded functions in the ‘Presets’ folder, or the dual processor plugin?

BTW CS is working a LOT better for me with only 1GB RAM installed. I can set usage up to 90% and it still works well (though I prefer to leave it at 85%). Makes me wonder what the point is in having 2GB RAM set to 45% to make make it work (still poorly)?

Russell

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

DC
Dan_Crescent
Dec 27, 2003
You can delete the multitude of opentype fonts it installs in the common/fonts folder.
RP
Russell_Proulx
Dec 27, 2003
Dan,

Do you mean the fonts in
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Fonts\Reqrd ?

I see a few Type1 postscript fonts in there but not a ‘multitude’ of Openface ones. Perhaps you chose to install those when you did your installation?

Russell
DC
Dan_Crescent
Dec 27, 2003
No, leave the Reqrd fonts and folder there. It’s all the opentype fonts in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Fonts\ you can get rid of, unless of course you want them to load everytime an Adobe app loads.
RL
Robert_Levine
Dec 27, 2003
While I agree they can be removed from that folder, I wouldn’t delete them. Simply move them to another folder so you can use them later if you want to.

If you’re that concerned about fonts loading you should be using a font manager such as ATM Deluxe 4.1.

Bob
DC
Dan_Crescent
Dec 27, 2003
Yes, deleting would mean throwing away several hundred dollars worth of fonts. Thanks for clarifying that, Bob.
RP
Russell_Proulx
Dec 27, 2003
Dan,

It’s all the opentype fonts in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Fonts\ you can get rid of

There are no Opentype fonts in that folder on my system. Perhaps those are installed with IllustratorCS? (I only bought the PS upgrade).

I agree with Robert, ATM Deluxe works great at managing fonts and keeps them to a minimum.

Anyone know what PS Presets are all about? I’ve read a post from Chris Cox in which he suggested that some memory issues might be attributed to all the presets that Photoshop loads. Well I don’t use any ‘Painter’ type features and use ThumbsPlus instead of PS’s browser so there’s 2 PhotoshopCS features I would get rid of if I knew I safely could.

Chris Cox "Scratch Sizes way off base in CS" 12/15/03 11:54am </cgi-bin/webx?13/38>

Russell
IL
Ian_Lyons
Dec 27, 2003
While I agree they can be removed from that folder, I wouldn’t delete them. Simply move them to another folder so you can use them later if you want to.

Simply put a Tilde (~) in front of the folder name. This tells Photoshop to ignore the folder and its contents. Much better solution than delete OR move and has been the recommended way of doing what you require for years.
RL
Robert_Levine
Dec 27, 2003
Right after installing the CS Standard upgrade I installed the fonts using ATM Deluxe and then deleted the files from the Adobe folder.

Bob

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections