JG
Posted By
Jeannette_Goerge
Dec 24, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have recently upgraded to XP. (Pentium 3, 500+RAM, 433 speed). Installation of either PS 6 or 7.0, was completed, without problem. When launching either Photoshop or Illustrator, I received an error message telling me that Photoshop and Windows were attempting to write to the same scratch file, and that they recommended that I move the program(?) or the scratch file to another physical disc.

I have googled, and searched the Microsoft and Adobe datebases; nothing seems to be specific to this problem. There was mention that freezing of Adobe programs would point to hardware problems such as corrupt memory chips. I doubt this since I have tried to load the program on a friend’s computer, and received the same message. Recently, due to a pesky worm I reformatted the hard drive: switching from FAT 32 to NTSF. At first I thought that this might be the problem, but I know people that are running PS 7 on NTSF. This is all the information I have, if someone could point me in the right direction….. Thanks PS: I’m not sure if this means anything, but: In reviewing the event log all of the the Adobe programs except"Reader" are giving the same error address.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

RL
Robert_Levine
Dec 24, 2003
If all you have is one harddrive just ignore it. If you have a second harddrive you can set PS’s scratch to the second drive.

BTW, you say you upgraded to XP. Does that mean you got a new computer, did a clean install or actually upgraded the previous operating system?

Bob
JG
Jeannette_Goerge
Dec 25, 2003
Thanks for the reply. I do only have one harddrive. Windows XP was a clean install. I had to reformat the harddrive. And as for ignoring it, I tried that, and both Illustrator and PS freeze the computer.
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 25, 2003
change the setting from "Startup" to "C:\" and the message should go away.
JG
Jeannette_Goerge
Dec 26, 2003
Thanks. I believe I’ve solved the problem, temporarily. I have a small Hd: 7GB. It has been sufficient for me since I’ve done all of my work in a darkroom, and have not needed the space for PS. Now I would like to learn about the digital age of photograpy. I uninstalled PS, defragged the disk, reinstalled, and then reset the scratch file for c:\. It’s working. I was trying to reset for a ROM-RW drive(in case the space available was insufficient) but the program wouldn’t let me.
JG
Jeannette_Goerge
Dec 26, 2003
Thanks. I believe I’ve solved the problem, temporarily. I have a small Hd: 7GB. It has been sufficient for me since I’ve done all of my work in a darkroom, and have not needed the space for PS. Now I would like to learn about the digital age of photography. I uninstalled PS, defragged the disk, reinstalled, and then reset the scratch file for c:\. It’s working. I’m getting ready to install another drive for storage. I’m sure I’ll be back. Thanks for all the help.
RL
Robert_Levine
Dec 26, 2003
You can’t use removable media or network drives for scratch space.

Bob

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections