Posted By
John McWilliams
Dec 24, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed

[X-posted to mac.sys and graphics.apps.ps]

I recently bought the Spyder 2 calibrator, and the profile it came up with comes out looking too red and/or not enough blue. I set the Gamma to the mac standard, 1.8. Should it be 2.2, or Native? Would that make a difference in how the screen appears? Any other advice for a newbie with a calibrator?

Mac G-5, Samsung SyncMaster 191t and old Apple Multisync 20 or 21" (19" actual diameter).

John McWilliams

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

R
Rick
Dec 24, 2004
"John McWilliams" wrote in message
[X-posted to mac.sys and graphics.apps.ps]

I recently bought the Spyder 2 calibrator, and the profile it came up with comes out looking too red and/or not enough blue. I set the Gamma to the mac standard, 1.8. Should it be 2.2, or Native? Would that make a difference in how the screen appears? Any other advice for a newbie with a calibrator?

Mac G-5, Samsung SyncMaster 191t and old Apple Multisync 20 or 21" (19" actual diameter).

Assuming your white point is set properly (to 6500K), give your eyes several days to adjust to the new settings. If you’re used to the "usual" 9300K your screen will look too yellow/red until your eyes adjust.
B
bhilton665
Dec 24, 2004

I recently bought the Spyder 2 calibrator, and the profile it came up with comes out looking too red and/or not enough blue.

What color temperature did you select?
JM
John McWilliams
Dec 24, 2004
Bill Hilton wrote:

I recently bought the Spyder 2 calibrator, and the profile it came up with comes out looking too red and/or not enough blue.

I used 6500•, same as I have been using for some time. Native white point is 6000.

John McWilliams
JM
John McWilliams
Dec 31, 2004
John McWilliams wrote:

Bill Hilton wrote:

I used 6500•, same as I have been using for some time. Native white point is 6000.

Dunno what happened, but the first calibration I did was flat out wrong. Second wasn’t much better, but third time worked fine, and it looks good now. It certainly proved to me that the eyes can adjust to almost anything, and it was only with side by side comparisons, or one right after the other, on an image with colors I could relate to personally, that I could see major differences in hue, saturation and luminosity.

It also proved beyond a shadow of doubt that my old Apple Multisynch monitor- super when it came out- is worn beyond any hope of getting it to output a decent image for PS work.

John McWilliams

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections