Posted By
padwaggled2003
Oct 26, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,

I’m busy editing photographs for someone who thought it was possible to retain an instance of the originals within the same .PSD file for the sake of easy comparison within the same file. Is this possible through layers? I’m searching and am sure there’s probably a way, but can’t figure it out yet.

I’d appreciate any suggestions.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

L
llutton
Oct 26, 2003
I’m busy editing photographs for someone who thought it was possible to retain
an instance of the originals within the same .PSD file for the sake of easy comparison within the same file. Is this possible through layers? I’m searching
and am sure there’s probably a way, but can’t figure it out yet.

Lots of times I make a duplicate layer and change the copy layer. By clicking the layer off or on, you can see the changes you’ve made and then decide whether to discard the layer copy, or flatten the image.

Another way is to do a Save As and change the new image. This way, you can have both images side by side all the time.
Lynn
DF
Derek Fountain
Oct 26, 2003
I’m busy editing photographs for someone who thought it was possible to retain an instance of the originals within the same .PSD file for the sake of easy comparison within the same file. Is this possible through layers? I’m searching and am sure there’s probably a way, but can’t figure it out yet.

Just do all your editing in layers, leaving the original image untouched as the background layer. For things like sharpening, copy the whole layer to a new one. To see the original, use Alt-Click on the "eye" icon of the background layer.
N
nospam
Oct 26, 2003
In article ,
(Padwaggled 2003) wrote:

Hello,

I’m busy editing photographs for someone who thought it was possible to retain an instance of the originals within the same .PSD file for the sake of easy comparison within the same file. Is this possible through layers? I’m
searching
and am sure there’s probably a way, but can’t figure it out yet.

Always edit using layers. That’s what they are there for. Make the background a named layer, copy to new layer. Wink out the bottom (original) layer. Layers, layers, layers, channels, channels – the power of PS!
B
bhilton665
Oct 26, 2003

I’m busy editing photographs for someone who thought it was possible to retain an instance of the originals within the same .PSD file for the sake of easy comparison within the same file. Is this possible through layers?

Yes, as everyone else has said leave the bottom layer untouched … this works as long as you don’t do any cropping.
P
padwaggled2003
Oct 26, 2003
yah, that’s the dilemna I’m facing. We do an aweful lot of cropping with all the photos involved. This is where I’m stumped.

Thanks to you all for such quick responses. I’m familiar with messing around with the layers, but thought I could get around that cropping bit.

Again, thanks all.
WS
Warren Sarle
Oct 26, 2003
"Padwaggled 2003" wrote in message
yah, that’s the dilemna I’m facing. We do an aweful lot of cropping with
all
the photos involved. This is where I’m stumped.

When you use the Crop tool, you can choose on the options bar to "Delete" or "Hide" the cropped area. Use "Hide".
P
padwaggled2003
Oct 26, 2003
I see. I just took half an hour figuring out how to be able to change the amount of the image being shown then it hit me after I’ve hid the cropped area.

Change Canvas size with of course the bounding box shown. On the right track?

Thanks for that lesson!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections