RA
Posted By
Richard_A._Ross
Dec 24, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My PC is Win XP Pro, P4 1.8GHz, Matrox Parhilia 128. VM set to system manage.

I changed from 512mb to 2gb and PS CS became very very slow. Very slow like click clone stamp and seconds pass before cursor change. Hold down alt and cursor no response for many many seconds before change to sample cursor. And when move mouse around, pointer disapear over menus, tool pallets.

Everything else seem fine. I took out the new sticks and put the old 512 back and PS CS is fine again.

Hmmmm.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

RL
Robert_Levine
Dec 24, 2003
Bad RAM perhaps?

Bob
RA
Richard_A._Ross
Dec 24, 2003
How to know? Boot POST test seem okay (I have exhaultive test on). PC boot. What to do?
RP
Russell_Proulx
Dec 24, 2003
Richard,

From what I can tell so far, Photoshop will not work with 2gb dual-channel DDR RAM, at least not the flavours we’re currently being sold over the counter. Numerous folks have tried 2gb of various brands of DDR RAM in the most recent Intel chipset motherboards and Photoshop will not perform properly. Adobe suggests it’s not their problem, which might indeed be true. But other apps don’t seem not to complain and those customers are satisfied…

BTW, I assume you’re using 4x 512mb pieces.

My suggestion is to yank 1gb of RAM and live with that until the dust settles and the various players sort out just who’s to blame.

I’ll be trying 2 pieces of 1gb DDR RAM early in the new year to see if that’s the solution. We’ve already been struggling with this issue in other threads which you might like to read:

Quale "Photoshop Memory Usage and filters (bug?)" 12/22/03 1:24am </cgi-bin/webx?13/19>

You might also like to read about the challenges of running with 2gb DDR RAM on the Mushkin website:

< http://www.mushkin.com/epages/Mushkin.storefront/3fe91c48012 2dbce273fc0a801020613/Product/View/990925>

Russell
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Dec 24, 2003
What is the memory allocation you choose for CS? do you have a lot of presets?

I’d like to hear from one of the engineers on this topic (are they able to replicate the issue?)

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections