How do I check/change the DPI (PPI) of an image?

T
Posted By
TheSadOne
Dec 23, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Say, from a digital camera… how would I change, or just find out what the DPI (or PPI) of the image is, thanks!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

L
larry
Dec 23, 2003
A digital camera file doesn’t have pixels per inch, only pixels. Photoshop 7 and CS open it at EXIF stated resolution of 300 and Photoshop 6 opens it at monitor resolution of 72. But it doesn’t mean much as it’s the exact same image as you can see if you resize without resampling.

You can change the resolution under Image>Image Size.

Larry Berman
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 23, 2003
It would depend on the camera. On mine I can’t change it (olumpus 3020zoom) it’s fixed at 72ppi. you’ll need to check your camera manual. but resolution has no effect until you go to print it, and you can change it in PS without losing any data by doing Image> Image size, uncheck the resample box and set the ppi to whatever you want.
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 23, 2003
you’re pretty fast larry! 🙂
BB
brent_bertram
Dec 24, 2003
Got his turbo keyboard drivers loaded ! <G>
V
viol8ion
Dec 24, 2003
Photoshop 7 and CS open it at EXIF stated resolution of 300

I have PS7, and it opens my images (SHQ TIFF) from an Olympus 460 & 560Z cameras at 72 DPI. But as has been said, the DPI means nothing, you can change it to anything you want, just make sure to unselect "resample image" when resizing.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections