MV
Posted By
My View
Dec 21, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I would like to be able to resize an image to a pre-determined final file size (eg resize a 4Mb image down to say 450Kb file size).

I don’t want to be messing with reduces pixel dimensions etc and not know what the final file size will be until I have actually saved it.

Can this be done in PS CS?

regards

PeterH

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

N
neon
Dec 21, 2004
My View wrote:
I would like to be able to resize an image to a pre-determined final file size (eg resize a 4Mb image down to say 450Kb file size).
I don’t want to be messing with reduces pixel dimensions etc and not know what the final file size will be until I have actually saved it.

regards

PeterH
file > save for web. optimize to a file size in bytes. also try help.
G
Gadgets
Dec 21, 2004
File – Save for Web – triangle pullout in the optimize pallete for ‘optimize to file size’

If you don’t downsample (image size and/or resolution) then the compression will have to increase (for jpg) or number of colours drop (for gif) It might be best to manually find a compromise on dimensions vs compression and make an action to suit. Image size can be selected in SaveForWeb too…

For some reason you can’t store your optim. to file size in an action – it only records what compression level it decided on for that initial image 🙁

Cheers, Jason
Photo folio:
http://gadgetaus.com/photos
MV
My View
Dec 21, 2004
thanks – that worked as well as I can expect

"neon" wrote in message
My View wrote:
I would like to be able to resize an image to a pre-determined final
file
size (eg resize a 4Mb image down to say 450Kb file size).
I don’t want to be messing with reduces pixel dimensions etc and not
know
what the final file size will be until I have actually saved it.

regards

PeterH
file > save for web. optimize to a file size in bytes. also try help.
MV
My View
Dec 22, 2004
Thanks – starting to get a better handle on the options

"Gadgets" wrote in message
File – Save for Web – triangle pullout in the optimize pallete for
‘optimize
to file size’

If you don’t downsample (image size and/or resolution) then the
compression
will have to increase (for jpg) or number of colours drop (for gif) It might be best to manually find a compromise on dimensions vs
compression
and make an action to suit. Image size can be selected in SaveForWeb
too…
For some reason you can’t store your optim. to file size in an action – it only records what compression level it decided on for that initial image
🙁
Cheers, Jason
Photo folio:
http://gadgetaus.com/photos

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections