DF
Posted By
Derek Fountain
Dec 15, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m creating a montage from a number of PSD files I’ve been working on. Normally I just stamp each source image and drag the layer into the montage, and I started doing that here. Then I needed to edit one of the sources, and I started wondering: is there a way to place a PSD image into another PSD image such that if the source is changed, the destination (the montage in my case) automatically updates?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

JR
John Rampling
Dec 15, 2004
"Derek Fountain" wrote in message
I’m creating a montage from a number of PSD files I’ve been working on. Normally I just stamp each source image and drag the layer into the montage, and I started doing that here. Then I needed to edit one of the sources, and I started wondering: is there a way to place a PSD image into another PSD image such that if the source is changed, the destination (the montage in my case) automatically updates?

What you describe is called ‘Object Linking and Embedding’ and Photoshop does not support it. You might be able to do it with a DTP program that recognises Photoshop format (e.g. Serif PagePlus) but I don’t think that is what you are after.

John
V
V1nc3nt
Dec 15, 2004
Derek Fountain wrote:

You can link all layers of the psd you want to bring into another, then put them in a set and drag the set into the other psd. When you set the blending mode of the set to ‘Normal’ instead of the default setting ‘Pass through’ and you have your psd in a psd.

HTH
T
tacitr
Dec 15, 2004
is there a way to place a PSD image into
another PSD image such that if the source is changed, the destination (the montage in my case) automatically updates?

No.

You might find it helpful to do your montage in a layout program that can handle Photoshop files, such as Adobe InDesign, if you want that functionality.

Art, literature, shareware, polyamory, kink, and more:
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
HL
Harry Limey
Dec 15, 2004
John

I don’t think Page Plus will open a Photoshop file!!

Harry

"John Rampling" wrote in message
"Derek Fountain" wrote in message
I’m creating a montage from a number of PSD files I’ve been working on. Normally I just stamp each source image and drag the layer into the montage, and I started doing that here. Then I needed to edit one of the sources, and I started wondering: is there a way to place a PSD image
into
another PSD image such that if the source is changed, the destination
(the
montage in my case) automatically updates?

What you describe is called ‘Object Linking and Embedding’ and Photoshop does not support it. You might be able to do it with a DTP program that recognises Photoshop format (e.g. Serif PagePlus) but I don’t think that
is
what you are after.

John

T
tacitr
Dec 16, 2004
I don’t think Page Plus will open a Photoshop file!!

A page layout program does not "open" any kind of graphics file. What it does is allow you to *place* a graphic file on a page. You edit the individual images in Photoshop, place the montage in a page-layout progam, and whenever you change one of the images, the change is reflected in the montage.

This is how professional brochures, ads, and so on are done: the images are created or edited in Photoshop, logos are done in Illustrator, then the images and logos are assembled and type is added in a page-layout program.

HL
Harry Limey
Dec 16, 2004
place the montage in a page-layout program

O.K. I don’t think Page Plus will recognise a PS file, or at least I could not get it to do so?
are you saying it will?

Harry
T
tacitr
Dec 17, 2004
O.K. I don’t think Page Plus will recognise a PS file, or at least I could
not get it to do so?
are you saying it will?

I have no idea; I’ve never used it. InDesign will, though.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections