FS
Posted By
Fedor_Smirnoff
Dec 20, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hey guys, I already submitted a bug report but just wanted to check if anyone run into it. Here is what happens. Lets say you are working on Photoshop CS (Windows XP) and the files are located on another server (LAN) that you access through mapped network drive. Now, if you phisically disconnect this server, next time, when you try to start photoshop it will crash, even after a complete reboot of the workstation, Photoshop CS still crashes. I guess its trying to populate or access recently opened file or something like that because reconnection the server makes Photoshop start up normally. Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Fedor

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

P
Phosphor
Dec 20, 2003
NEVER work on files that live on a server.

Copy it to your local H.D., work on it, then copy it back to the server.

Full Stop.
FS
Fedor_Smirnoff
Dec 20, 2003
Yes, you are absolutelly right! However, in this case, its more time consuming to copy local, than move to server than it would be to recreate a lost file from scratch 🙂
Regardless of the methods, its still a bug, Photoshop should start normally regardless of what is the location of the files previously worked on.
P
Phosphor
Dec 20, 2003
I’ll agree, that if Photoshop needs to call the server when it’s populating the "Recent Files" list at launch, that’s kind of stupid. I don’t know if it actually does call the server at launch, so I may be completely off base with that line of reasoning.

Still, my orginal admonition stands, and is backed up by the engineering department. If I were in your position, I’d research ways to better manage your workflow until this ceases to be an issue…(if it ever does get resolved).

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections