D
Posted By
Dami
Dec 18, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Why did Adobe flaunt Windows convention of Alt+F+A hotkey strokes for Save As, changing it to Alt+F+V???? That is so aggravating. And it’s something the user can’t change!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

CK
Christine_Krof_Shock
Dec 18, 2003
In CS you can–check out keyboard preferences–just make sure to print out any changes!!!!
D
Dami
Dec 18, 2003
No, I’m talking about the actual hotkeys, you know, the little underlined letter (that CS isn’t using) in the menu that you use the Alt key to access. Not keyboard shortcuts. Alt+F+A in (now) 99.9% of all Windows applications brings up the Save As dialog box. Alt+F+A now brings up Open As in CS.
B
Brian
Dec 18, 2003
wrote:
Why did Adobe flaunt Windows convention of Alt+F+A hotkey strokes for Save As, changing it to Alt+F+V???? That is so aggravating. And it’s something the user can’t change!

The Photoshop key command for Save As is SHIFT-CTRL-S, and always has been (although this can be changed, of course).

The Alt+ key commands you’re referencing are actually the Windows shortcuts for invoking the menus themselves. Why they changed it I’m not sure, but so few people use them that it was probably not a high priority to retain the old ones.

Brian
RB
Robert_Barnett
Dec 18, 2003
I agree this is one little change just about makes me want to kill. It seems like every new release Adobe does something so ass-in-nine that one has to wonder what happen to their brains. On this day I think it felt out and got dusty.

Robert
B
Brian
Dec 18, 2003
Robert_Barnett wrote:
I agree this is one little change just about makes me want to kill.

Why are you not using SHFT-CTRL-S for save? It’s faster than ALT-F, A and standard across all Adobe apps and many other apps, and it’s cross-platform (substitute command for CTRL, of course).

Honestly, I never realized anyone used the ALT key to access the menus for which the software provided it’s own key command.
D
Dami
Dec 18, 2003
Well, I use the Alt method because it IS standard for Windows apps, and not all Windows apps use the Ctrl+Shift+S method and I do use other apps nearly as much as I use PS. And I have never, ever used Open As–ever. Do a lot of people use that? (That’s not a snotty question, I’m curious if people do use it.)
DM
Don_McCahill
Dec 18, 2003
Just as a bit of triva, this Alt keys were put into Windows 1.0 to allow people to access the program without a mouse, which was then considered an evil Apple plot. The entire setup could be operated from the keyboard, which was extremely silly and caused everyone to buy a mouse (but not until Windows 3.1, which was the first version that was actually usable.)

The Alt key thing is a holdover from those days. Occasionally useful when a mouse dies and has to be fixed … or it would be if you could remember what the various commands were.
M
matrixrose
Dec 18, 2003
Isn’t software required to be accessibility friendly (people with disabilities), isn’t that why they keep the alt keys in there? Personaly I use the CTR keys and the program shortcuts most – so i have never noticed Adobe’s differt use of the Alt keys.

Dami, just for your head count: Don’t use Open as and I never have.

Cheers,
Rose
B
Brian
Dec 18, 2003
Dami wrote:
And I have never, ever used
Open As–ever. Do a lot of people use that? (That’s not a snotty question, I’m curious if people do use it.)

Not sure about the numbers, but I know I use it all the time. If you don’t work in prepress you’ll probably never have the need for it, though… 8^)

Brian
L
LenHewitt
Dec 18, 2003
Dami,

I have never, ever used Open As–ever. Do a lot of people use that?<<

Almost everyone that regularly gets files from Macs will have occasional call to use that option
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 18, 2003
I agree w/dami. One hundred percent! I posted the same thing a couple weeks ago in the cs complaint thread but no one commented. THIS IS SUPREMELY ANNOYING!!! I’m constantly having to close the "open as" window and go back to the menu to get "save as"

PLEASE CHANGE IT BACK ADOBE!!!
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 18, 2003
sorry, not in the cs complaints thread. actually i started a new thread about it but never got much interest.

Phosphor "accelerator keys" 12/8/03 8:48am </cgi-bin/webx?14/0>
SS
Stephanie_Schaefer
Dec 19, 2003
Dave,

I don’t know why the change was made and hear you (and others) on the annoyance factor. We’ll look at this again for consideration in a future release.

–Steph
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 19, 2003
Bless you Steph! 🙂
SW
Shank_Williams
Dec 19, 2003
"flout", not flaunt.
sincerely,
nitpicker
WD
Walter Donavan
Dec 19, 2003
Doesn’t the comma belong inside the quote ("flout,")?

Sincerely,
Doublepicker.

Walter Donavan
wrote in message
"flout", not flaunt.
sincerely,
nitpicker
O
Ol__Whozit
Dec 19, 2003
Part of it MAY (no proof) be related to the fact that when Microsoft released Visual Basic 9, they did not code it properly for the Alt + key shortcuts. Although they can be coded, they will NOT appear on XP machines (but WILL on 98 and 2000. I’m not sure about ME). It can’t be patched, and caused some MAJOR problems with some software apps. (I first noticed it in PS7, some menu shortcuts still work, but do not display, like the Gaussian blur)

Depending on the interface scripting used, the shortcut is left to the programmer’s discretion. They can follow Windows associations or not.
DM
Don_McCahill
Dec 19, 2003
Somehow I don’t see most of Photoshop being programmed in Visual Basic. I just have a feeling that a more powerful language was used.
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 19, 2003
C++ and Assembler is my guess.
B
brente2
Jan 8, 2004
to help keep this thread alive – I echo the above comments…

Adobe – PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE put the ‘A’ accelerator back on Save As… All other versions of PS (at least for win) use ‘A’ for Save As, all other Adobe programs use Save As (premiere, encore, etc.), and all other Windows programs in general use ‘A’ for Save As… Please put it back! driving me nuts too… 🙂

(I also noticed that AfterEffects 6.0 doesn’t use ‘A’ for Save As, but uses ‘V’…)
RH
r_harvey
Jan 8, 2004
C++ and Assembler is my guess.

Not much assembler is my guess. I’m frequently surprised when I see critical little bits of code written in C++. I became more sensitive many years ago when I talked with somebody from MS about a super-critical fifty-line chunk that he bragged about writing in C++, using a so-so old complier, when it could have been written in 250 lines of MASM, and make the product requirements several hundred MHz lower.

Today, compilers are better, and portability is more critical, so MASM’s been just about flouted to death.
B
Brian
Apr 5, 2004
…my old trusty Alt-F, A shortcut
was actually bringing up "open as" and not "save as."

What’s wrong with SHFT-CTRL-S?
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 6, 2004
What’s wrong with SHFT-CTRL-S?

nothing. But the standard is that ALT-F, A brings up "SAVE AS", not "OPEN AS". It’s a pain in the patootie, is what it is. A pain, I sez!
I
ID._Awe
Apr 6, 2004
Well I, for one, like CTRL-S, SHFT-CTRL-S & SHFT-CTRL-ALT-S, it makes more sense when you think about it.
BS
Buck_Sommerkamp
Apr 6, 2004
It sure doesn’t look to me like Shift-Ctrl-S is a standard for much of anything else — I tried it on a variety of programs and some see that as "save as" but most don’t.

Whereas, F(ile), Save(A)s is pretty much standard on everything.

I guess I just wish Adobe would have given us a little notice, or a way around this…we can change shortcut keys, why not accelerator keys!

This from a company that created an entire "Keyboard map" for Quark users to use InDesign without changing a thing.

Buck
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 6, 2004
it makes more sense when you think about it.

It makes plenty of sense, as do most of adobe’s shortcuts, but so does Alt-F, A for Save As. What’s your point? 😉

Whereas, F(ile), Save(A)s is pretty much standard on everything.

Exactly.

I guess I just wish Adobe would have given us a little notice, or a way around this…we can change shortcut keys, why not accelerator keys!

Adobe kindly acknowleged this was an oversight as soon as it was brought up (I posted on it within days of CS’s release). I was just bumping it up since brian had responded w/a newsreader and it dropped way down the list of posts.

That and the fact that I hit ALT-F, A every day and get "Open As" then have to close that and go through the menu to get to "Save As".
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 6, 2004
Actually ID, I just noticed the "more" in your post… the adobe shortcut does make sense, but more sense? I disagree. Following windows convention makes more sense.
I
ID._Awe
Apr 6, 2004

1. Save
2. Save As
3. Save For Web.

Easy as 1-2-3! Couldn’t be more sensible.

Hopefully this can stay as an option.

Gee, Dave really thought you were …………….
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 7, 2004
Hopefully this can stay as an option.

Whooooooa there! I’m not saying ANYTHING should be removed! I’m just saying they should re-apply the windows convention accelerator keys. Got 7 or 6 loaded, open and image and hit Alt-f, then hit A. What do you get? Open as? or Save As? Got a web browser? Try it there too. How about a word processor. Try Alt-f, A. What happens? A spreadsheet? A 3d app? ANY app with the ability to save files? Does Open As come up in ANY of them when you hit Alt-F, A? As a FINAL test, open ImageReady CS. Open an image. Hit Alt-F, A. What happens? Is this request getting clearer?

I’m all for keyboard shortcuts. The more the merrier. Just don’t disable standard windows features. I use alt-f, A across the board across almost all windows apps, without thinking about it. Now when I do it in PS, I get the open as dialog. To make matters worse, I may be so busy navigating to the folder I want to save to that I may not notice until I drill down like 5 levels across a few drives to get where I want to save to, only to find out I’m in the wrong stinkin’ dialog and I need to Esc and do it all over again!

Dave really thought you were …………….

an intellegent, kind, thoughtful and good looking guy? 🙂 Thanks, bro!

Pax!
I
ID._Awe
Apr 7, 2004
THH. M-m-m-m-m-m-maybe…………….._______
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 7, 2004
One thing I like about CorelDraw (among everything else that makes it better that Ill.) is that the keyboard shorcuts are totally customizable, so that I can have whatever shorcuts make sense to me.

(I think you’re still confusing shortcuts with accelerator keys!)

I just got cd12 suite. I need to find a fount of good tutorial now for someone who can’t draw his way out of a paper bag. 🙂
RL
Robert_Levine
Apr 7, 2004
Dave,

Point your newsreader to cnews.corel.com and check out the newsgroups there. There are some very good Corel Draw and Photopaint users posting there.

Bob
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 7, 2004
Most excellent kind sir. Thankee, sai. 🙂
I
ID._Awe
Apr 8, 2004
Dave: Ok, I’ll bite what’s the difference between a shortcut key and an accelerator key?

And don’t be splittin’ no hairs there boy.

…..and what robert said and:

<http://www.unleash.com/> where you will get great tuts by CD guru Foster D. Coburn III.

<http://www.grafx-design.com/coreltut.html>

and

<http://www.huntfor.com/design/tutorials/coreldraw.htm>
P
Phosphor
Apr 8, 2004
"Following [W]indows convention makes more sense."

A pox on you and your lawnchairs, Meester Dafe Meelbud.
P
Phosphor
Apr 8, 2004
….And because of that, as Stevie will tell you, Maccers have the only levitating towers on the planet.

((M*cr*s*ft is working on their version, set for rollout in 2009. We’ll be doing real-time bio-transport by then))
L
LenHewitt
Apr 8, 2004
O/T posts have been deleted…
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 8, 2004
Ok, I’ll bite what’s the difference between a shortcut key and an accelerator key?

A shortcut key is the stuff that’s custom to the app AND directly invokes a function, without traversing the menu system. Like crtl-T for free transform or crtl-shift-e for merge visible (just a couple I use all the time). The windows accelerator keys for those are Alt-E, F (free transform) or Alt-L, VV for Merge Visible.

The accelerator keys are what you get when you hit the alt key and you see certain letters underlined in the menus, and they are ALWAYS directly related to the menu structure in the app. Many are decided on by the programmers. But many are more or less "standards" across windows apps. Alt-F, A is one. Most of the file and edit menu things are common across many applications that save and edit files. Alt-F opens the File menu, Alt-E opens edit. etc. Some other really common ones are Alt-E, C and Alt-E, P for copy/paste. Alt-H for help.

Basically an accelerator key is like a shortcut that directly accesses the menu system. Many (most?) are custom, but there are many that are windows conventions. Messing with the ones that are conventions is usually frowned on unless there’s really good reason to. Doing so causes no end of difficulty to those that use the accelerators across applications.

In our case Alt-F, A bringing up Open As instead of Save As is driving many of us batty!

Hope this helps, now I gotta go lay some bricks before it rains!

dave
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 8, 2004
and thanks for the CD12 tut links!
I
ID._Awe
Apr 8, 2004
Happy to help Dave, thanks for the explanation!

Yeah, closing on our home May 3rd, so I’ll be doing concrete and renos really soon.
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 8, 2004
back. whew! just beat the rain. put a tarp over it, but i needed to do some brick work on my front steps today cuz i have a guy coming tuesday to appraise the place for a refinance. i know he woulda dinged me big for it (chemical deicer ate through the morter over the winter) and i had to do it today because there’s going to be rain every day between now and tues. now my hands have that nasty gritty feel from working with concrete. glad that’s over! 🙂 tomorrow’s project: replace the back screen door. <G>

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections