DR
Posted By
Danny_Raphael
Dec 17, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Suppose I have a folder full of .jpg images to which I want to apply an Image > Adjustments > Hue/Saturatuion command via an action invoked by File > Automate > Batch.

Since each .jpg image is opened and subsequently closed during the batch process, won’t each color corrected .jpg lose some image quality?

If so, would I avoid that quality loss if I wrote two actions, e.g., in the first: * Apply color correction
* Save AsÂ… (convert the .jpg to .psd)

And a second that converts the images from .psd back to .jpg? * Save AsÂ… (.psd to .jpg)

TIA

~DannyR~

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

G
graffiti
Dec 17, 2003
Just guessing here but I would think that since you’re only doing one single correction and eventually saving back to .jpg, the second action wouldn’t be needed. Just resave as .jpg.
CW
Colin_Walls
Dec 17, 2003
If you start out with a JPEG and save as a JPEG again, you will indeed lose some quality. Doesn’t actualy matter what you did in between.

When PS reads the JPEG, it expands it in memory. Saving it as a PSD does not do any compression. Saving as a JPEG does – hence the quality loss.
G
graffiti
Dec 17, 2003
you will indeed lose some quality.

Yeah sorry. Meant to throw that in there somewhere.

(Suuuuure you did) 🙂
DR
Danny_Raphael
Dec 18, 2003
If…
* Open 1-original.jpg
* Apply color adjustment layer
* Save as temp.psd (lossless)
* Close temp.psd

– – – – – –

* Open temp.psd
* Save as 2-color corrected.jpg (compression value=12)

Is quality of 2-color corrected.jpg = quality of 1-original.jpg?

Thanks for the comments so far.

~Danny~
L
LenHewitt
Dec 18, 2003
Danny,

When the file was originally saved as JPG some data was lost. The second time you save it as JPG MORE data will be lost, particularly after a Hue/Saturation adjustment as the amount of further data loss depends upon the AREA of the image that has been modified and H&S will modify the whole area.

It doesn’t matter if you save it 20 time as PSD between the two saves as JPG – you will STILL lose MORE data the 2nd time it is saved as JPG.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections