CS Web Photo Gallery — missing function (or bug?)

JB
Posted By
John_Blaustein
Dec 15, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Using the "Simple" Web Photo Gallery…

(That is, "Simple" in the Styles dropdown list)

In Options>Thumbnails, the Titles, Font and Font Size are grayed out and can not be modified. I checked the other Styles and on some these three items are grayed out and on some they are not.

In PS 7.0.1, these items are not grayed out and can be modified.

Why in the world would these options be unavailable in CS when they were available in 7.0?

Is this some behavior unique to my system? If not, is there some way to "fix" this — I like the Simple gallery, but I sure don’t like using Font size 3 for the thumbnails.

Related (somewhat) question: On my main PC, I now have only PS CS installed. (Just did a reformat and installed CS and not 7.0.) Can I install 7.0 on this machine, after already having installed CS? I don’t want to screw up the CS installation by having the 7.0 installer overwrite anything that CS installed and needs. I ask because I might want to install 7.0 and use its Web Galley function.

John

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

PH
Photo_Help
Dec 15, 2003
John,

Can I install 7.0 on this machine, after already having installed CS?

Just make sure you install it in a different directory.
JB
John_Blaustein
Dec 15, 2003
Thanks, Photo Help…

Am I correct that I can edit a file in 7.0 AFTER it has been edited in CS as long as I don’t have that large file option turned on?

I’d hate to have to reinstall 7.0 just to make the Web Photo Gallery options available in CS as they are in 7.0.

Chris Cox… are you able to comment?

Thank you.

John
JB
John_Blaustein
Dec 16, 2003
Adobe… can you help with this, please? What’s going on with the grayed out options in the Simple Web Photo Gallery?

Thank you.

John
RB
Robert_Barnett
Dec 16, 2003
Well, being that it is the "Simple Web Photo Gallery" may they thought adding all that other stuff wouldn’t make it simple any more so they don’t allow you to access it. This would indeed keep it a "Simple Web Photo Gallery" would it not?

Robert
JB
John_Blaustein
Dec 17, 2003
Robert… you have a knack for words!

It’s simple all right… fewer choices. Yet, checking the other Web Galleries, some have those options grayed out and some don’t. Why?

I sure wish someone from Adobe would comment here. Please.

John
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 17, 2003
john, it’s the same for me. that’s the way it’s supposed to be.
JB
John_Blaustein
Dec 17, 2003
Dave…

With due respect, no, that is NOT "the way it’s supposed to be." In PS 7.0, these options were available. In addition, in some of the other CS Web Photo Galleries, they are available.

If you try the Simple Web Photo Gallery, you will see the default (grayed out) font size is way too big for the default (or other) thumbnail sizes. In addition, the option to turn off the caption, or modify its content) is missing (grayed out) and I certainly can not believe "that’s the way it’s supposed to be." It is not logical to omit those options, particularly since they were already there in the PS 7.0 version. Why remove them?

I stand in awe of Photoshop and am forever impressed by what it does and how well it does it. When I don’t understand something about how it functions, I never assume it’s a PS bug. Instead, I assume I’m not understanding how to use it. I can’t think of a case, until now, that PS was not functioning in a totally logical way. These guys really know what they are doing, in my opinion, and I’ve always been delighted with each new version. I’m excited about CS and can’t wait to really get to know it.

I’m getting a bit off topic here, but I’m quite convinced something isn’t right with these Web Gallery options being unavailable. It just isn’t logical, and that’s not like Adobe.

John
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 17, 2003
With due respect, no, that is NOT "the way it’s supposed to be."

easy there big guy. I meant "that’s the way it’s supposed to be" as in mine is like that too. <shrug>
JB
John_Blaustein
Dec 17, 2003
Dave,

Perhaps you were not clear. Perhaps I misunderstood. In either case, no harm done on my end, and I hope on yours too. Thanks for clarifying that what I’m seeing is not unique to my system.

Now, let’s hope that Adobe will comment on this.

John
L
LenHewitt
Dec 17, 2003
John,

The Simple template doesn’t appear to use CSS:

You could modify the Simple template(s) in any text editor. e.g. change occurrences of "size=%CAPTIONFONTSIZE%" to a fixed HTML font size such as "size=3"
JB
John_Blaustein
Dec 17, 2003
Len,

Good idea. I can do that easily with my web editor, MS FrontPage.

Can you think of a reason Adobe changed how the Simple and some of the other galleries work by graying out those options on the thumbnails page? All the options were available in PS 7, so it took some extra work on CS to remove them.

John
RB
Robert_Barnett
Dec 17, 2003
I suspect the enable/disable what they feel is appropriate for the chosen design.

Robert
JB
John_Blaustein
Dec 17, 2003
Robert,

I’m sure you are right. What I can’t figure out is why these user options were appropriate (enabled) in PS 7.0, but not in CS.

With Len’s help, I’ve gotten the gallery to work the way I like it, so I’m happy to put this thread to rest. I appreciate everyone’s comments.

John
L
LenHewitt
Dec 18, 2003
John,

Can you think of a reason Adobe changed …the Simple <<

I suspect the accent is on "simple"…..

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections