Why do colors come out gray sometimes when applied?

TW
Posted By
Toni_Warden
Dec 10, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I know there’s a reason/setting that makes this happen, but I NEED to find out what it is, because it happens all the time and I never know how to fix it.

Let’s say I’m typing in some text to my graphic. I’ve selected #669999 as my text color (don’t ask). In the tool tray, my preview color shows as gray, and when I apply the text to my graphic it comes out gray, if I go back to the color picker it’s showing that I’ve still got the correct color selected. AND sometimes I’m working and it does not happen. Again, I’m sure there’s a setting or something that is sometimes set and sometimes not that’s making this happen, I just need to know what that is.

I’m using PS 7.0 for Win. Thanks in advance for responding quickly.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

RL
Robert_Levine
Dec 10, 2003
Sounds like your color mode is grayscale.

Bob
JS
John_Slate
Dec 10, 2003
or you have a single channel selected in a color mode.
TW
Toni_Warden
Dec 10, 2003
I didn’t notice I had my color mode set to grayscale, THANNNNNKKKK YOU!!! Now I’m going to go take some aspirin. =)

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections