H
Posted By
Ho
Dec 9, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
No one ever answered my request for an update on these issues, so I will ask again here:

Any progress on the "Save As" file extension bug, or has Adobe been able to replicate it?

Can we have our thumbnail icons back?

What about the menu lag present immediately after opening the app? Any hope there?

Listed in order of importance (to me), the first item (Save As bug) is one that is really starting to take its toll on my way of working. Because of this single deficiency, I have not yet eliminated PS 6 from my system. The good news is I do not have any other issues, or if I do, they are as yet undiscovered.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

SF
Scott_Falkner
Dec 9, 2003
What bug is this?
M
MarkATS
Dec 9, 2003
We’re aware of all these issues. (number 3 personally annoys me the most)
SB
Scott_Byer
Dec 10, 2003
Any progress on the "Save As" file extension bug, or has Adobe been able
to replicate it?

The Alt-key workaround doesn’t work for you?

Can we have our thumbnail icons back?

Psicon.dll isn’t coming back. Turn on Maximize Compatibility and use thumbnail view in Explorer. Or use FileBrowser.

What about the menu lag present immediately after opening the app? Any
hope there?

If it’s more than a couple of seconds, look into something on your system (I get less than 2 seconds on my slower desktop). There are a couple of "idle" tasks that fire right after startup is done. I think this may have gotten slightly longer than 7 due to Activation. I had thought it was the how-to menu items (it still could be for you – rename the Help directory and try), but that doesn’t seem to be a factor in my machine.

-Scott
H
Ho
Dec 10, 2003
The Alt-key workaround doesn’t work for you?

It’s not the "Save as a Copy" problem I’m talking about. It is the fact that the file extension of the original document is not appended in CS to reflect the new format. So, a PSD file "saved as" a jpeg will still carry the PSD extension. If I close it and try to reopen it in CS, a little box pops up informing me that it is not the right kind of document. This is unacceptable for a number of reasons.

Turn on Maximize Compatibility and use thumbnail view in Explorer.

This DOES NOT work for me. Often the preview is nothing more than a black box, and I cannot determine why a preview is generated for some files and not others. File size doesn’t seem to make a difference and neither does bit depth.

Finally, the menu lag is *only* about 3 seconds, but it bugs the hell out of me. Imagine putting your car in gear but always having to wait that length of time before the accelerator actually did anything.
PH
Photo_Help
Dec 10, 2003
Ho,

You can always load Psicon.dll yourself.
H
Ho
Dec 10, 2003
I had the same thought, so I loaded the dll and hacked the registry, but the previews are still sporadic; sometimes I get them, sometimes I don’t.
SS
Stephanie_Schaefer
Dec 11, 2003
Ho,

Is there a thread where the Save As problem you’re referring to has been discussed? I’m not familiar with the details of it and haven’t seen or heard of it being reproduced here.

–Steph
M
MarkATS
Dec 11, 2003
Ho "CS Bug / Complaint Department" 12/8/03 1:44pm </cgi-bin/webx?13>
H
Ho
Dec 11, 2003
Steph,

I don’t know what I can add to what I’ve already written. I will be happy to send sample files of both the Save AS bug and the Preview bug if anyone is interested.
PH
Photo_Help
Dec 11, 2003
Ho,

Is your system configured to hide or display file extensions?
H
Ho
Dec 11, 2003
It is configured to display everything, extensions, system files, hidden files, etc.
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 11, 2003
are you getting the double extentions when doing save as and changing the file type?
H
Ho
Dec 11, 2003
No dave, CS just retains the extension of the original file. So xyz.psd "Saved As" a jpeg is STILL xyz.psd, even though is really has been saved as a jpeg. To add to the confusion, CS will then refuse to open the file because it is not a valid photoshop document. This happens with tiffs and all other formats that I commonly use, and it is really frustrating to have to either rename the file after saving or go to the file name section of the Save As dialog box and delete the extension before the save.

I guess this problem is not wide spread, but I don’t care if NO ONE else is seeing it, it’s making me nuts.

Where’s my axe?
ND
Nick_Decker
Dec 12, 2003
Howard, I’m not seeing it over here on Win2K, but I feel your pain. The major slowdowns that I’m seeing (between PS 7 and CS) are not being reported by many people, but I’m seeing them just the same. Not on XP Pro, just Win2K. Like you, it’s making me nuts.

I’ve considered upgrading my Win2K box to XP Pro to overcome this problem, but other than PS CS, everything is fine and dandy on Win2K, including PS 7 which runs beautifully.

Nick
I
ID._Awe
Dec 12, 2003
"everything is fine and dandy on Win2K, including PS 7 which runs beautifully." which is why I’m not upgrading at this point.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections