Posted By
Rob_Keijzer
Dec 9, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi everybody,

Each time I save a file into .PSD format, a dialog comes up warning me for compatibility issues. This is because I switched off "maximize PSD-compatibility" in prefs. This,in turn I did, because Deke McClelland’s Photoshop Bible states that it is very wise to have this off.

Now what is wise? Will I be in trouble the next hundred years? And what does "max…Comp" actually do?

Photoshop 7.01 , actually

Rob.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

SA
Sven-Martin_Adelhoff
Dec 9, 2003
At least, this option adds an icon (or a flattened image?) to the file, so that image viewers (IrfanView, ThumbsPlus) are able to show something.

Sven
CC
Chris_Cox
Dec 10, 2003
It adds a flattened version of the image — yes, for other applications (including your OS) to read the file, or display previews of the file.
JS
John_Slate
Dec 10, 2003
much has been debated on this subject in the past.

do a forum search on "maximize compatibility" restricted to the Mac side of the PS forum.
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Dec 10, 2003
Thanks for the info everybody.

I guess it won’t be a compatibility thing with my future pc’s then.

cheers,
Rob
PH
Photo_Help
Dec 10, 2003
Rob,

Good News – Viewable in programs that don’t support layered PSD’s. Bad News – The file sizes on your PSD’s are larger, sometimes much larger.

When I am working on small files I always keep it on. If I am working on large images I prefer the smaller files and faster file saves I get by turning it off.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections