TH
Posted By
Tina_Hayes
Dec 9, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Sorry I searched but can’t find anything about this.

I followed a link from another message board to a site selling older version of some Adobe products.

I emailed the site with questions and this is what they sent back: As far as we know all can be upgraded with retail versions only, online patches are avail from Adobe.

There is no box or manual, just the sealed CD. We can not guarantee that OEM software is upgradeable.

I kind of see this as an affordable way I could own Illustrator…as there is no way I can pull 600.00 out of my a**.

The thing is I KNOW I’d then want to purchase upgrades. (I think this one is 9 or 10…10 I think….)

Would I be able to buy an upgrade retail like say at Staples and be able to install and run the upgrade when the original full install was an OEM version?

OEM is legal??????

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DM
dave_milbut
Dec 9, 2003
what version is it? i’m not sure if they offer ill. as an OEM, but they may have at one point. Is it real old?
I
ID._Awe
Dec 9, 2003
First of all, how do you know it is an OEM?

If it was an OEM, it would normally come with hardware, but I do not know of anything that comes with an OEM Illustrator.

It can be ‘legal’, but the question is: Is this product actually what the vendor claims it is?

I think you’d be better off checking your butt. Don’t do it.
TH
Tina_Hayes
Dec 9, 2003
Should I post the link? Moderators?
TH
Tina_Hayes
Dec 9, 2003
It’s Illustator 10..and this is why I’m asking:

Our Price: $49.99

(Please Read)
This is a cd only sale. All cd’s are brand new and still in the factory seal. This is the full version not a limited or trial version. As bundled software it qualifies for all online upgrades but does not qualify for technical support registration from Adobe.This is the Windows version only, sorry not for Mac.

(They are selling PS 7 – Acrobat 6 – Illustrator 10 – Prmeier 6.5 – GoLive 6 – After Effects 5.5 – Page Maker 6.5 – Streamline 4.0 – InDesign 2.0)

This from thier FAQ Page:
Software

We have setup this page to answer some of the most common questions that our customers e-mail us.

All Software is brand new and still in it’s factory seal. All software has a serial number and can be upgraded. There is no retail box or manual included. Just a new sealed CD. All software is OEM (bundled)

We can sell at such low prices because we not only buy in bulk but the software was to be bundled with hardware originally. Therefore it does not qualify for tech. support registration. However it will download all updates from the manufacturer. Some are purchased from bankruptcy sales, auctions etc. If you want tech support you need to buy the retail version at full price from a local software store.

Shipping

Our shopping cart is integrated with UPS. Shipping is calculated in real time by UPS before you checkout . Please keep in mind that UPS charges a 1lb minimum even though a CD does not weigh 1lb.

All orders ship within 72 hrs. after we get them. Weekends are excluded.

We do ship Internationally, Canadian customers please choose Standard Canada only for shipping, as it is less expensive than International. All other countries are shipped via worldwide expedited

Canadian and international customers please remember not to put any spaces in your postal code as the shipping calculator will not work. This will delay your order.
CC
Chris_Cox
Dec 9, 2003
It’s a pirated version.

Send a copy to with the full original headers.
TH
Tina_Hayes
Dec 9, 2003
I thought as much, but I seem to recall seeing something somewhere about OEM vesions, and I don’t know a damn thing about OEM anything..how it works…if it’s legal..whatever. I don’t even know what the letters O E M stand for!

Going to the basement to smoke and then will lauch the e-mail client……
TH
Tina_Hayes
Dec 9, 2003
Okay…done deal.
DM
Don_McCahill
Dec 9, 2003
OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer, I think.

I don’t think AI has ever been offered as OEM software, which could be why Chris knew quickly it was pirate. Photoshop was given away with scanners in the old days (when it cost $4000 for a scanner). I got my first version that way.
CC
Chris_Cox
Dec 9, 2003
No, the price and "can’t be registered for support" are the obvious red flags.
DL
David_Lingard
Dec 9, 2003
Received similar spam today. Looks too good to be truse – and is. Deep in the small print in the FAQs it says, "This cannot be registered" – well I wonder why… It says it originates in "Eastern Europe".
DN
DS_Nelson
Jun 21, 2004
It’s software that’s bundled with a new computer or other hardware. It comes with no vendor support, and usually no printed documentation.

Photoshop has never been sold as OEM software, or at least not recent versions, so "This is not OEM software" should go without saying. Anyone claiming to be selling an OEM version of Photoshop is clearly not legitimate.
B
BobLevine
Jun 21, 2004
There were some earlier versions of Photoshop bundled with high end scanners.

That said, there are plenty of pirate site selling what they claim are OEM versions of Photoshop 7. There was NEVER an OEM version of Photoshop 7.

Bob

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections