NW
Posted By
Nick_Webb
Dec 8, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Greetings and Salutations fellow Photoshop Users!

I am a graphic designer, but new to restoring old photos. I have a photo, that when scanned, small dots show up all over the image. Like when you look at a magazine photo up close. What are my options to eliminate these small circles all over the image? I have tried Gaussian Blur and Sharpen filters…but to no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Nick

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

BG
barry_gray
Dec 8, 2003
If the dots are from the texture of the paper, you might try scanning a 2 time with the photo upside down, rotate 180 bring it in to the 1st scan doc as layer 2, set blend mode to color, lighten or darken.
L
LenHewitt
Dec 8, 2003
Nick,

Tale a look at:

LenHewitt "removing pattern" 10/30/03 9:44am </cgi-bin/webx?13/0>
CT
charles_tarver
Dec 17, 2003
Go to Google and type in Hot Pixiles, then download the shareware program. It works great and if necessary you can run it one the picture twice.
CK
Christine_Krof_Shock
Dec 18, 2003
If the scan/rotation doesn’t work, then try blurring in channels especially the channel carring the most pattern, then sharpening in the channel carring the least amount of pattern.
P
Phosphor
Dec 18, 2003
First, you have to find a scanner big and sturdy enough for Photo Help < http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?224@@ef435fe@.2ccee3 33/104> to stretch out on. Otherwise, you’ll have a heck of a time pasting together all the smaller scans that you’d get out of a standard-size desktop unit.

Plus, he’s not that old…graduated college in the mid ’90’s I think.

😉
SC
Steve_Coates
Dec 18, 2003
Well, you could cut him up into little pieces and then scan them seperately. Of course it will be very difficult to do a proper restoration afterwards, but I don’t think he’ll mind.
;]
BO
Burton_Ogden
Dec 18, 2003
Nick,

A lot of old photos were printed on pebble-textured paper. It was considered to be an artful touch and was not meant to thwart yet-to-be-invented scanners. Today’s photographers do print on such paper to prevent their clients from scanning their proofs.

It may not be possible for you to scan this textured paper without picking up highlights from the texture. To keep the texture from reflecting catchlights you need a completely diffuse indirect light source, and as far as I know no scanners have that.

One solution is to re-photograph the old photograph under completely diffuse light, such as outside in open shade. Some people go so far as to make a tent of a white bed sheet and set up to photograph in that using only the indirect light from the sheet. Outdoor open shade is usually sufficient. With an SLR on a tripod and a macro lens you can preview whether the texture shows. Have that picture printed on glossy paper and scan that.

— Burton —
PH
Photo_Help
Dec 19, 2003
Phosphor,

Hmmm…

Steve,

Of course it will be very difficult to do a proper restoration afterwards, but I don’t think he’ll mind.

I don’t think my insurance covers that.
RL
Robert_Levine
Dec 19, 2003
Have that picture printed on glossy paper and scan that.

Or use a digital camera.

Bob
RN
Robert_Nichols
Dec 19, 2003
Nick –

Although it’s a rather coarse adjustment, try the Despeckle filter (under Noise.) Repeated applications of Despeckle, followed by careful use of the Unsharp Mask filter can make a big difference in ridding a scanned old photo of spots and lines due to textured paper.

Bob N.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections