JF
Posted By
jeffrey_fischman
Dec 5, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
no trouble using photoshop 7, but cs leaves off about 1/3 of page if dpi is set > 460 dpi. (epson stylus photo 750 using same drivers (latest))
any help?
Jeff

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

I
ID._Awe
Dec 5, 2003
jeffry: not that this answers the question the way that you want, but anything over 360dpi is useless to an inkjet.
PH
Photo_Help
Dec 5, 2003
Jeffrey,

Check your spool settings.
MM
Mick_Murphy
Dec 5, 2003
Is there some of the ole dpi versus ppi confusion setting in here.
JF
jeffrey_fischman
Dec 6, 2003
epson says it is a photoshop problem, they don’t allot enough memory for the drivers in large pictures (mine was 8.5×11 inches @ 460dpi)
a temp fix, if anyone else has the same problem, is to uncheck "advanced features" in the printer driver, this seems to free up enough memory for the program to print out an 8.5×11 at 1400 dpi
–adobe says they never heard of the problem–epson is familiar with it (for the 750 and the 960) Jeff
PH
Photo_Help
Dec 6, 2003
Jeffrey,

epson says it is a photoshop problem, they don’t allot enough memory for the drivers in large pictures (mine was 8.5×11 inches @ 460dpi).

#1 – For Photoshop that is not a "Large Image".

#2 – It is 8.5×11 inches @ 460 PPI not 460 DPI.

Another way of looking at it is that you don’t have enough memory to run Photoshop and print. It is not up to Photoshop to give up memory it is using because you don’t have enough to do what you want.

Why are you sending a 460 PPI image to an ink jet anyway? As ID has already pointed out the optimum resolution for that printer would be about 360 PPI. Anything over what the printer is capable of printing will be downsampled or dithered by the print driver and could in some cases result in a lower quality print even when a higher resolution image is used.
JF
jeffrey_fischman
Dec 6, 2003
the problem is with photoshop 8–I have 2 gigs of memory, I can print this in photoshop 7 without any problems at all

the reason for the size of the picture has to do with my workflow, it is faster for me to do it this way

Jeff
PH
Photo_Help
Dec 6, 2003
Jefferey,

Very interesting.

If you print to file from PS8 and PS7 are the files the same size?

If you then send the files to the printer do they both work?
JF
jeffrey_fischman
Dec 6, 2003
I will try this
will post ans in AM
Jeff
CC
Chris_Cox
Dec 7, 2003
Jeffrey – the DRIVER allocates memory for the final image, not the application.

Epson is very mistaken about the cause — the cause has to be in the Epson driver.

And Adobe isn’t familiar with it because it’s not an Adobe problem.
JF
jeffrey_fischman
Dec 7, 2003
oould be, only occurs in windows 2000, not windows xp
must have something to do with memory allocation requests and interaction between photoshop and driver,
it is known that windows me, 98, 2000 have problems with memory requests above a certain amount (200 some odd megabytes) that requires different way to ask for more memory–If cs allocates memory up to magic number before driver can do so, might require a rewrite of epson driver to get more memory in another way (I’m not likely to live long enough to see anyone do this)
on other hand, I changed my work flow around the problem and am comfortable again Jeff
JF
jeffrey_fischman
Dec 13, 2003
also true of epson 960 driver, if anyone is interested
Jeff

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections