SJ
Posted By
sandy_johnson
Dec 3, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have an action, at the end of which is a "save as". I have it set up to save as a tiff, but can I retain the checking LZW compression and IBM PC? It seems every time that it reverts to the originating tiff options. Jpegs saved as tiffs DO include checking LZW and IBM PC. (Files come from vendors so I have no control over file formats).

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

DR
Danny_Raphael
Dec 3, 2003
Sandy:

Do you have enough images at a time and would your workflow allow you to process them using File > Automate > Batch instead of a stand alone action? (The following works w/jpg options; seems it would work with .tif options, too.)

You can specify the file optins in the Save As command when it’s recorded. In the Automate > Batch dialog you can override the destination folder/file name (check "Ignore Save As"), but file options are still retained.

Does this help?

Danny
Y
YrbkMgr
Dec 3, 2003
A funny quirk of Actions and certain dialog boxes. Here’s what you have to do.

Open a dummy image. Then File|Save As with all the options that you DO NOT want, and save the file. That sets the default behavior of that dialog. Next, double click on the Save As portion of your action. When the dialog for options appears, check all the options you DO want recorded (e.g., LZW) and save the file. The changes will be recorded in your action.

Peace,
Tony
CP
christian_picker
Dec 4, 2003
Hello All,

I have over 1000 Photoshop TIFF files that I want to drastically shrink and save for web use. Is there a batch process that I can implement to get this done while I sleep.

Please be very specific as I am new to photoshop. (MAC)

Thanks,
Christian
KV
Klaas_Visser
Dec 4, 2003
Is there a batch process that I can implement to get this done while I sleep.

Yes there is. Read up in the manual or help file on creating and saving actions, and then you can use the File|Automate|Batch command to run it.
L
LenHewitt
Dec 4, 2003
Christian,

I am new to photoshop. (MAC)<<

You may prefer to post in the Photoshop_Mac forum to posting here in Photoshop_Win…..

You can create an action to do what you require and run the Action in Batch mode from File>Automate.

However, you may find that the batch will fail after about 300 images, so you may wish to run the batch on about that number at a time
SJ
sandy_johnson
Dec 4, 2003
Danny, I don’t know that batch is the best way for me because I don’t want the files to close, I still have to vignette or silhouette them. I did try your way and the options still default to the None or LZW that was saved with the originating file.

Tony, I don’t think I want to do it your way either because the images I use the batch action with only constitutes about half of what I do. I want the default on new or non-actioned files to be LZW.

Really appreciate your help though guys. I’m usually on the Pagemaker forum side if I can return the favor.

Sandy
Y
YrbkMgr
Dec 5, 2003
Sandy,

I want the default on new or non-actioned files to be LZW.

You can’t have it both ways – either you want LZW included in the action or you don’t. If you do, follow my advice. <shrug>

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections