LH
Posted By
Lawrence_Hudetz
Dec 2, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Ok, I am out on a limb, but here’s my input.

Bug 1:

When I have engaged "Cancel" during, say, the printing cycle, before the complete cycle loads, PSCS hangs. Checking Task Manager, it says PS is running. Cannot clear. Tell Task Manager to End Task. Still Hangs. Tell it again, and finally the OS agrees with you. PS shuts down.

Bug 2:

While the Layers Pallet is open, the function which you wish to execute (Like using the Move Tool as one example) will not operate. Only when docking or exiting the pallet can one use the tool.

Bug 3:

The scanner hangs when engaging scan after preview (Epson 3200 in Twain) Again one cannot exit anything, and this time Task Manager says PS not responding. I have had to go all the way to reboot OS to clear. Needless to say, all my scan settings are gone. I have noticed that perhaps I can clear it by turning the power off to the scanner, but I haven’t tried this on a full court hang.

Please, please to tell me to Reset Prefs. I have done this twice since installing PSCS,and that is twice as much as I have had to do on PS6 all this year. It may clear things up, but Resetting this often is a bug, IMHO.

So Bug 4:

Resetting Prefs cavalierly

Just observing, folks.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

DM
dave_milbut
Dec 3, 2003
1: typical windows behaviour. plenty of times that happens, especially with one program talking to another (cs to print driver in this case). problem may really be driver not relinquishing control properly/quick enough. as for end task, it’s pretty standard to have to hit it about 3 times. or maybe 3 times is just how long it takes for the first one to get through! 🙂

2: cannot reproduce.

3: cannot reproduce. epson 1260 photo w/twain. usb.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Dec 3, 2003
#1 not typical with PS6 on same platform, unless one considers the new HD a factor. Confusion as to whether the program is running or not has been noted before, but with programs that have ultimately proved "buggy".

CS seems "unsure of itself" that is, it seems to wait much longer before deciding to run a task. The software is substantially larger and more complex, but it seems to me that these delays are excessive.

My scanner is connected via Firewire. I think I’ll try USB and see if it clears.
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 3, 2003
it seems to wait much longer before deciding to run a task.

I’ve noticed that switching brushes and on startup immediately after the splash screen before you can click anything (as noted about 2 weeks ago) and since i’ve been watching for it, i’ve noticed there is a "hesitation" before switching almost any tools, or switching from an image to the browser, from the browser to a palette, etc.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Dec 3, 2003
I concur.

Looks like the scanner problem is connected to Firewire. Switched to USB(1.1) and so far, no problems. Perhaps it is a complex set of events involving all four components: Com, Scanner, PS, W2K. Fix one and the rest don’t matter. However, all the other 1394 devices run seamlessly.
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Dec 3, 2003
Lawrence,

I’ve got an Epson 2450 Photo scanner that I’ve got connected via Firewire. While I’ve not used it a great deal with PS CS yet, a recent set 6-8 scans using the latest Epson TWAIN were performed without any problems. As you say, perhaps it is some combination of factores causing your problems, and my system is running WinXP rather than Win2K.

Daryl
SB
Scott_Byer
Dec 3, 2003

1) Yeah, what Dave said. Probably a driver issue. That’s actually a system
progress box, and we’re not terribly involved at that point.

2) Is your blend mode combo box focused? Hit the escape key. Easier than closing the palette. (This works for any focused combo box).

3) It’s usually better to scan outside of Photoshop. Quite a few scanner plug-ins are really bad about memory and can end up tripping all over themselves. W have no control over them trashing their own memory. And sometimes the different memory layout of a new version is enough to expose such a bug that was there all along.

-Scott
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Dec 4, 2003
Thanks, Daryl, Scott.

At the risk of seeming stupid, what is a "focussed combo box", and what do you mean by blend mode combo box?

Point 3) is well taken. I am considering scanning outside PS, and I also wondered if software changes actually did trigger or expose a bug in the scanner.

So, let me rephrase my Title: Bugs using PSCS!

I have no way of actually knowing who’s doing what to whom! 😉
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 4, 2003
focused combo, like the opacity box in the layers palette. grabs the focus and WON’T… FLIPPING… NnnnnGH! … LET GO!!! 🙂
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Dec 4, 2003
OH! Geek terms! LIke Flipping. NnnnGH!

Shudda known!!;-)
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 4, 2003
LIke Flipping. NnnnGH!

hightly technical. don’t use in mixed company! 🙂

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections