EP
Posted By
Erik_Pischner
Dec 2, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a brand new Dell laptop its not even 4 months old. I have been running PS 7.0 on it since the day I got it. All of a sudden PS won’t run.
I click on the icon the normal startup screen comes up scans the plug ins intializes and loads the fonts then loads the brushes then closes like it was never there. I have reinstalled it and removed it from the reg and then reinstalled it. I have even reinstalled windows all with no avail I am running xp with 512m ram anyone have any ideas.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

RL
Robert_Levine
Dec 3, 2003
Trash your prefs. See the FAQs for details.

Bob
RF
ray_finley
Dec 3, 2003
Trashing your prefs…. that doesn’t do the job. There seems to be a REAL problem with PS 7.0…. Adobe should address the problem and get a FIX for it instead of depending on this forum of amateurs to deal with it.
DL
David_Lingard
Dec 3, 2003
Ray,

Your approach leaves much to be desired if you want help, even from this forum of amateurs. There is NOT a REAL problem with PS 7, thousands of us have no problem.

More information may lead to more help…

David
PG
Per_Ganz
Dec 3, 2003
Ray: it would be nice if you would know what you are talking about, which is apparently not the case.
Erik: trashing the prefs is your best option. normally if things have been working for a long time and suddenly stop, a damaged prefs file is responsible. Close PS down and search for a file called "adobe Photoshop 7 Prefs.psp", trash it, relaunch PS, see if it works (and do not listen to Ray)
RF
ray_finley
Dec 3, 2003
Ouch…. you boys are a little touchy.
so go look for for prefs but do it in your adm… aps folder… then trash it. try again to run PS 7…. then wonder why it doesnt work.

As those of you that its working fine…. you obviously aren’t cursed with the affliction of knowledge.
RF
ray_finley
Dec 3, 2003
Erik
MS says to cure the problem….
go to your :windows updates" and uninstall them from the most current backwards…. trying to load PS7 after each successful uninstall!

Its worth a try
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 3, 2003
There seems to be a REAL problem with PS 7.0…. Adobe should address the problem and get a FIX for it instead of depending on this forum of amateurs to deal with it.

ROFLMAO!

Yup. You found ’em out. 19 months past the release date. Millions of happy customers. Already moved on to the next version (CS). Yup. You found the bug. You get a free "I use the Gimp" spotted Penguin t-shirt. Stay right where you are. Adobe is going to catipult it to you and they need to get the aim down.

Eric, Here’s how to reset your prefrences.

Mathias Vejerslev "How to delete/reset Photoshop preferences" 2/11/03 12:04pm </cgi-bin/webx?50>

Give that a try after you’re done laughing at ray.
RF
ray_finley
Dec 4, 2003
I see you don’t get it millbutt…!
Win Updates has some overlapping files in several updates that conflict with program "PS 7"

uninstalling the updates solves the prob…. whether you like it or not!

FYI
I run a graphis design dept for a
ad firm…. 13 comps all using Adobe systems
the uninstall updates has worked on them all!
So much for your prefs routine.
RL
Robert_Levine
Dec 4, 2003
Well then, that would be a Microsoft problem, wouldn’t it?

Bob
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 5, 2003
I see you don’t get it millbutt…!

you misspelled my name ray.

Win Updates has some overlapping files in several updates that conflict with program "PS 7"

uninstalling the updates solves the prob…. whether you like it or not!

well I’ve got xp pro running w/all updates so obviously something’s wrong with my system right?

FYI I run a graphis design dept for a ad firm…. 13 comps all using Adobe systems the uninstall updates has worked on them all! So much for your prefs routine.

so you’re running insecure systems? how do your clients feel about that? you do know that MS releases most of those patches to fix either bugs or areas of the system known to be vulnerable to hacks, worms and viruses, right? (maybe not, you run a graphics dept.)

maybe you should get a tech in there instead of letting the guy who runs the graphics dept. maintain the systems.

So much for your prefs routine.

the prefs routine isn’t mine. it’s adobe’s. what happens is when a user turns off a computer without shutting down ps first, the photoshop cleanup routines never get a chance to run. this can cause problems with (faster) systems that have write-behind caching enabled (windows default) on their hard drives as some data may not get written (or is incomplete) when the system stops. hence a corrupt prefrences file. hence the need to reset the prefrences. the REAL fix is to teach your users to close all applications and use shutdown when turning off a machine. I’ve not had to reset MY prefrences EVER. I’ve been using photoshop since version 5.

so much for your running unpatched systems. btw, did you get your free penguin t-shirt?

HTH, HAND.
dave
RF
ray_finley
Dec 7, 2003
I know a lot of folks like you dave…

You cant accept "it" if it isnt your idea…
My systems aren’t "insecure"… they hav nothing to do with the >"net" or closing apps.
Maybe those are your probs?

There’s more to life than Dave millbut’s opinions, accept it pal. I do have a T, it printed on the back of it…. You must be a follower, look where your’e at! I can arrange to get you one that says I cant lead or follow?

Best regards…
I find it a waste of time to argue with fence posts.
RF
ray_finley
Dec 7, 2003

My systems aren’t "insecure"… they have nothing to do with the >"net" or closing apps.

There’s more to life than Dave millbut’s opinions, accept it pal. I do have a T, it printed on the back of it…. You must be a follower, look where your’e at! I can arrange to get you one that says I cant lead or follow?

Best regards…
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 7, 2003

that seems to be everyone’s argument lately. so i must reiterate, no you don’t.

sure i can. i’m very open to intellegent ideas from all sources.

My systems aren’t "insecure"…

If you’re not running the lastes patches, yes they are. no matter what you think.

they have nothing to do with the >"net" or closing apps.

Is that english?

I already told you I have all operating systems patches working fine with cs and never have to reset prefrences. you’re babbling dude.

There’s more to life than Dave millbut’s opinions, accept it pal.

Really. Thanks. Gee a whole new world. And I rarely express opinions here unless I qualify it with "IMO". FACT is that most corrupt prefs are due to users not shutting down the system or application properly.

Best regards…

same to you

that’s intellegent. maybe you should stop talking to yourself.
Z
Zog
Dec 7, 2003
MS says to cure the problem…. go to your :windows updates" and uninstall them from the most current backwards

This does not sound like a good plan, Ray. We wouldn’t want people damaging their OS, of course, so I was wondering, how did you come by that information? Does "MS" stand for Microsoft? If it does, do you have the document number from the Microsoft Knowledge Base on that? I would like to read it if you do, because it strikes me as quite odd.

I think the possibility of uninstalling security patches is real, as Dave points out.
RF
ray_finley
Dec 8, 2003
Zog,

uninstalling patches is real…. as dave points out????

any do whatever …

as for dave, ne needs a life, a job, an attitude ajustment…. he just doesn’t get it. Probably an introverted redneck that scratches his *** then smells his fingers to make sure he had them in the right spot!

(;)
GH
Grass_Hopper
Dec 8, 2003
Ray,

perhaps you don’t understand. When one deletes the Photoshop preferences, when Photoshop restarts, it *recreates* the preference file.

It sure is a LOT easier to recreate the preference file than to have you uninstall all those OS updates…. and works better too.

I agree with Zog, a link to that particular Knowledge Base document would be very educational for all of us.
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 8, 2003

[Inappropriate comment deleted by Forum Host]

heh! least refuge of the clueless.
RF
ray_finley
Dec 8, 2003
It is you that doesnt understand… You can delete the prefs all day long, if the prefs are the problem, thats fine. You dont seem to understandthat the prefs isnt the "solve all for PS 7….
Dave Millbutthead; continue to flounder in your narrow view of ….
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 8, 2003
you misspelled my name again ray.
G
graffiti
Dec 8, 2003
you misspelled my name again ray.

Yeah. It’s a lowercase "d".
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 8, 2003
you got it! 🙂

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections