X
Posted By
xz501
Nov 23, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
That my paging file and scratch disk are on the same disk/partition?.. can the scratch disk be moved to another drive? I looked all over the place and couldn’t find that option. Should I install the software on D? Or move my paging file on D ? .. What the best setup so I don’t get that warning message & what’s the best setup for best performance.

Thanks in advance

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

RK
Rob_Keijzer
Nov 23, 2003
Hi,
It is in preferences (edit menu).
The message is completely benign. Photshop can run a tad faster if it has scratch space on a different physical drive.
It doesn’t have to combine read and write time, but can do them simultaneously (I think).

When you don’t want that message appearing, set the second, third and fourth volume to "C:\" in stead of "Startup".

Hope this helps,
Rob
X
xz501
Nov 23, 2003
I am sorry I don’t follow what you are saying..

Basically I am setting up a network and installing PS software for a company and they told me that they want to optimize performance.

I have 2-4 hard disks on all machines. I am assuming that I should install Photoshop on C and set the scratch disk to D? I should also store my PS files on D with the scratch disk? Correct?

How about the paging file? It shouldn’t be on the same partition or disk as the scratch disk, correct?

I also don’t understand your last comment

"When you don’t want that message appearing, set the second, third and fourth volume to "C:\" in stead of "Startup".

Thanks again
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Nov 23, 2003
My last comment was for the case you have only one drive (C:). In your case you can set the second drive to D: indeed.
The windows page file is best set on a drive different then the Scratch-drive for PS.

So this is what I would do:
C: Installation of Photoshop.
D: Scratch Volume (If D: is a HDD, NOT a Zip or a CD)
E: Windows Page file (Again, this must be a HDD).

In PS Prefs set third and forth to "none", or to F:, if available.

Rob
X
xz501
Nov 23, 2003
Great thanks a lot Rob I will do that.. I will also have the data saved on F just to optimize performance.
Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you again
L
LenHewitt
Nov 23, 2003
FromFile>Preferencse>plugins and Scratch Disk set the Primary windows Scratch file to D (if you have plenty of free space on D – Otherwise set the Windows paging file to D:\
X
xz501
Nov 23, 2003
Is it OK if I set my 2nd scratch disk to my D (Data) drive? I have my first Scratch disk set to a designate hard drive F (scratch) Does Photoshop need 2 scratch disks or will it go after the second drive when it runs out of room

also I just got done installing Illustrator and it needs scratch disk(s) also.. can point it to the same drives that I did with Photoshop.

Primary: F (sratch)
Secondary: D (Data)
DM
Don_McCahill
Nov 23, 2003
You are correct in that PS goes to the second scratch disk only after it runs out of room in the first. You are just allowing more flexibility by giving extra disks to work from.

Yes, you can set Illustrator to use the same drives, in the same way.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections