M
Posted By
michaelcassidy
Nov 18, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
In multiple forums I have seen people who refer to a problem of having both print preview and actual prints turn magenta when using ICC profiles. Various instructions (such as use no color adjustment, calibrate your monitor) are provided and generally the author never responds. I have this problem when using my Dell running XP but not my Toshiba running Win2000. Both monitors have been calibrated although only using Adobe gamma. I am not applying the profile twice, it happens if using the print with preview and destination using any ICC profile or if I use convert to profile and then print same as source. It does not occur if I keep the working profile and print same as source. However this eliminates the ability to use ICC profiles for various printer/ paper combinations. This occurs on both PS 7.01 and PS CS. I am using the Epson 2200.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

PC
Philo_Calhoun
Nov 18, 2003
Take an image with embedded profile from the Dell computer to the Toshiba and see if looks the same on screen. If it doesn’t, one of the monitors is not profiled correctly. If it does, the problem is in the print setting. Double profiling is very easy to do accidently and the print preview is unreliable for judging colour. Again, I recommend the workflow already listed. For what it is worth, monitor profiling of a lcd monitor is not accurate with Adobe Gamma. You should buy a colorimeter or spectrophotometer with software, like Spyder, Optix, etc. Also, printer should NOT be sent as "same as source" unless you want to use sRGB and set printer properties colour mgt to sRGB. That has the printer make all the decisions of rendering intent and reduces gammut, so it is not the best option. I’m already made recommendations for settings, and Ian Lyon’s site gives three or four options.
M
michaelcassidy
Nov 18, 2003
Philo

Thanks for the suggestions. I am still searching for the solution. The images look virtually identical after embedding a profile on the dell and then viewing it on the toshiba. I have followed either the workflow from Rocky Mountain School of Photography or the nearly identical one from Ian Lyons. I know the print preview is unreliable but while investigating this problem I have been using it as a quick check if the problem has been solved by the various techniques or not rather than wasting paper and ink since the effect is very obvious. It is not a minor color cast; it is as though you moved a color adjustment slider to 50 or more toward magenta. Even a gray scale test pattern turns into pink scale.
PC
Philo_Calhoun
Nov 18, 2003
When you click on the Epson printer and select "properties" and colour management and advanced, what are the settings you are using?
M
michaelcassidy
Nov 19, 2003
enhanced matte paper (matches the profile I used) custom, advanced, no color adjustment, print quality 1440, high speed etc all unchecked
PC
Philo_Calhoun
Nov 19, 2003
Ian Lyons just updated his site for instructions for printing from PS CS for the Epson 2200 on 11/12/03. His site is at www.computer-darkroom.com and check under updates. However, last night I tried printing some images and had the same strong magenta issue you had with exactly the same settings I had used successfully with PS CS a couple days ago. So there must be more to the issue. Sorry I can’t help more.
M
murdog
Mar 4, 2004
Has anyone solved this issue of the magenta cast? I am using a Dell, xp, Epson 2200, PS 7. My setting are as follows: File>Print with Preview
color management: SP 2200 Premium glossy
Intent: perceptual
Black pt is checked
Advanced: ICM-checked , no color adjustment checked
Soft proof setup: profile SP 2200 premium glossy
intent: perceptual
MO
Mike_Ortez
Mar 5, 2004
I also have this problem, but never realized it is unique to Dell (or not?). I have a Dell with XP, 19" Dell Trinitron, PS7 and Epson photo printer (SP780). My print preview and prints show an annoying magenta cast. Tried using Qimage to print but the problem persists. I have read all threads on printer settings and set mine as recommended by Ian Lyon, but can’t get rid of the color cast. I am interested in learning how to correct this problem. Thanks. Here are my settings:

On PS:
Print preview>color management
source space>AdobeRGB
Proof>Epson Stylus photo780 photo paper
Print space>Epson stylus photo780 photo paper

On printer driver:
Advanced-no color management
(paper type/resolution, etc. are correctly set)
M
michaelcassidy
Mar 5, 2004
I discovered two things from Ian’s site, others and my experimenting. First the print preview is not color managed at all so it can not be used as a quick check on how you have set up everything else, it can only be used for setting the correct paper size, margins etc. Second, once you have a corrupted calibration file for Gamma, everything else is going to be horrible. The only answer was to manually remove all the calibration files and Photoshop and reload everything, carefully following the Ian calibration and print setup processes. My previews still appear heavily magenta (apparently my monitor was overly green without calibration) but prints exactly match the screen image.
MO
Mike_Ortez
Mar 5, 2004
I have tried all of this, but my prints still have that cast. I just installed XP (clean install) and PS, and recalibrated my monitor, which didn’t get rid of the color problem. Is it possible the problem is related to ink/paper rather than the workflow? Has anyone noticed print quality difference between Epson ink and 3rd party ink for Epson?
MO
Mike_Ortez
Mar 7, 2004
I have one more question for experienced users of PS concerning printer color management. This is little discussed in this thread or tutorials I read. I am on XP professional and PS7.

When I click "start", "printer and faxes" and right click the printer (Epson photo 780 in my exmaple, but I assume other Epson printers are similar) and then click "properties", I can open "color management" tab where I can choose a default color profile for the printer. The generic profile is EE149_1, which is shown as "Espon photo 780" in PS "print preview" setup section. I can also choose other profiles such as SP780_PP, which is shown in PS "print preview" setup section as "Epson photo 780 photo paper".

My question is: should I choose a specific paper profile (i.e. photo paper) or the generic profile? If I choose a specific paper profile, does that constitue a "double profiling" if I follow Ian’s tutorial using the same profile in "printer space" in PS and "no management" in printer driver?

Thank you for any help you could give.

Mike
IL
Ian_Lyons
Mar 7, 2004
My question is: should I choose a specific paper profile (i.e. photo paper) or the generic profile? If I choose a specific paper profile, does that constitue a "double profiling" if I follow Ian’s tutorial using the same profile in "printer space" in PS and "no management" in printer driver?

The best advice I can give you is don’t choose a paper (media) profile in that dialog. On a good day it’ll work, but that’s usually because Epson screwed up that day rather than designed it to work that way. There is ONLY one safe place to choose the media profiles and that is in the Photoshop Print with Preview dialog.
C
ChuckDK
May 28, 2004
My print preview screen for Epson 1280 is very good about showing colors as they are going to print – when it shows magenta cast, I get a magenta cast.

I’ve noticed that if I take the same image that wants to preview and print with a magenta cast in PS7, and move it to another program to print, all is well. Monitor matches the preview screen which matches the print. Go figure.
RB
Raymond_Bohnenstiehl
May 29, 2004
I had the same problem with the R300 as well. If it preview magenta it printed magenta. I updated the latest profiles and now I get a magenta preview but a clear print.

Go figure.

🙂
RP
Richard_Prince
Jun 16, 2004
I am new to this forum and I realize this thread is a half month old – but it really matches my CS and 2200 experience since I got the 2200 (about the end of May).
I do have perhaps a slightly different issue that I would like to ask about. I notice in this thread that the print preview display is noted as not color managed. I had heard that the Epson driver print preview is not color managed – and it does look bad on my PC. What confuses me is what about the CS print with preview image? The reason I ask is that what comes out of my 2200 is almost an exact match of the print with preview CS display (magenta tinted). What’s bad is that I setup the proof colors to use the latest Epson profile – my proof image is really close to my original image – but neither match the image in the CS print with preview. This is especially noticable with an image that has some blue sky. The original and proof are good but the CS print with preview (and hence my print) are off. The print has the sky more magenta and darker blue. If I go change the proof image blindly until I get the print with preview image looking pretty good, then the print comes out like that. If I’m lucky enough the print will come out pretty much like the original. Not a reasonable flow. My original is in Adobe RGB (1998). In the print with preview setup I have source to proof and print space to same as source. Then the usual no color management in the Epson driver. If anybody has any info about how the CS print with preview image is done, I would really like to know. Thanks.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections