JJ
Posted By
Jay_Jhabrix
Nov 17, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Saw this on the alt.graphics.photoshop newsgroup…. think you guys may get a good laugh out of it 🙂
(With apologies to Bryce – was too good not to share it.)

Open quote ===========================

So there I was at home in the computer room. I’m at my primary computer, and my "secondary computer" (as defined by Adobe) is behind me across the room at the other desk. My wife comes in and sits down at my "secondary computer" and is reading an email on her identity in Outlook Express (only one user account on the XP machine there, but two identities in outlook express). Her friend sends her a picture through means of email and she opens it up. It’s a pretty silly looking picture. She giggles. She wants to make it look even sillier. She calls in our daughter to have fun with the picture. She tells me she is going to do that.

She tells me she is going to do that with PHOTOSHOP! (scary, low background music)

DAMN I FREAK!!! "NOOOOO…. you can’t do that", I say. (as she’s opening up PS CS on my "secondary machine") I say, "don’t let that app open until I’ve got this one shut down!!!!! – watch out!!!!!) She is terrified. My daughter begins to cry as my anger turns up a couple notches. If that opens up before this is shut down, AND I’m not the main user, you will be in BIG, BIG trouble, I say. She is totally freaking out at my red, puffed up face and bulging veins in my neck… I’m pulling her away from the computer with my left hand, kicking my daughter in the hip with my right foot, as my right hand fights it’s way into the top desk drawer pulling out the Product License Agreement for PS CS. "Look!!", I say. "the secondary computer is RESTRICTED to the main user who licensed the software!!!" "Don’t you get it????" "Are you trying to get me put in jail or something???"

As I’m kickin’ ’em both away from the computer, the dog jumps in on my side and begins kicking my wife’s and daughter’s asses. (Thank you Pico!) Later that night, as I’m tending to my fingernail wounds on my arms and face, bite marks from my daughter on my ankles and legs, and after the cops have gone back to the station, I tell mself that it was all worth it. I would truly do it all again. Nothing….. I mean NOTHING will come in the way of my legal obligations to Adobe. Not my marriage. Not my daugther… NOTHING!!!!

Yes. I am a true loyal Adobe customer. I am true to the cause. "I" am the licensee; not her. I vow to NEVER let a soul open that app while I’m using it on the primary station.

God Damnit Adobe…. I say unto you: "To death till us part."

Signed:

Loyal Adobe Customer Since 1997-8ish.

======================== Close quote

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

MP
Marie_Pelletier
Nov 17, 2003
I think your friend should have his wife and daughter see a an adobe psychologist so they understand little more the meaning of true loyal Adobe customer 🙂
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 17, 2003
Later that night, as I’m tending to my fingernail wounds on my arms and face, bite marks from my daughter on my ankles and legs, and after the cops have gone back to the station

priceless! 🙂
TW
Tom_Walace
Nov 17, 2003
"GD" Adobe is an offensive statement to me. Can’t you be a little more sensitive to those of us in this forum that might regard using God’s name in this way as a cavalier curse word/phrase?

Your humorous story would have been just as effective without it.
DH
Dave Hamer
Nov 17, 2003
What you should have done is set up your secondary computer, the one shared with others, only allows them to access certain programs. Then you could have avoided this type of situation. The Police have much better things to do than answering domestic disputes such as this. Also you are clearly in violation of the EULA.
Y
YrbkMgr
Nov 17, 2003
Well, in today’s environment of corrupt politicians, and corrupt company execs (Enron), it is a comfort to know that there are folks who still take their responsibilities seriously, in terms of enforcing the letter of the law with the EULA.
JK
Julian_K
Nov 17, 2003
I’d love to see such sensitivity too, but it would be nice if christians are one day also sensitive enough to not put their crosses with that poor violently tortured man everywhere ( like in schools etc..)which in all honesty are offensive to my feelings.
SG
shecky_greene
Nov 17, 2003
Clashes over crucifixes and head scarves in public schools….. http://tinyurl.com/vf1c
JK
Julian_K
Nov 17, 2003
<http://tinyurl.com/vf1c>

yep. my point exactly.
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 17, 2003
I smell RO.
Y
YrbkMgr
Nov 17, 2003
Well, to be fair, he never claimed to be Christian. He simply said that the use of the word God in the way it was used, was offensive. I don’t think that makes him any particular religion, just mindful of public speaking etiquette.
JK
Julian_K
Nov 18, 2003
I didn’t say that he claimed to be christian, although it’s rather likely , since he said it is offensive to h_i_m .

however, my point was merely, that a little more tolerance is needed from all of us. to say " god damn it" or something similar, is really pretty common and most people do not have any bad intentions saying it .
let’s just be a bit more relaxed. Come on.. I actually do believe in what others might call god too. but am I bothered if someone says " god damn it" ? sure not. and if god were a person (which I doubt), he wouldn’t be bothered as well, cause otherwise I’d have to think he’s rather insecure and narrow minded 😉

furthermore, I personally seriously find crucifixes very offensive, extremely unpleasant and a symbol that represents so much that is against my own religious thinking and feelings.
It would go to far here, but I could even list plenty of philosophical and historical reasons for that. but do I complain whenever I have to see them outside of churches? No, because many people seem to need them and I can just turn my head and look somewhere else if it bothers me so much.
I can live with it.. I have to live with it, cause that’s my contribution to tolerance in our society.
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 18, 2003
so is this thread read only yet?
TW
Tom_Walace
Nov 18, 2003
Julian – yes I am a Christian and proudly so. But beyond that, YrbkMgr had it right by saying from a secular standpoint that showing a little restraint in a public forum is just the decent thing to do – proper speaking etiquitte if you will.

What may be "pretty common" in your circle of friends isn’t at all common in mine. "Pretty common" doesn’t really justify anything anyhow. It’s pretty common for people to fart, but is it a good idea to "let one rip" in the movie theatre next to a girl on your first date? Comical, but it illustrates the point.

I’m not sure what your issues are with crucifixes. That "poor tortured man" is the Son of God, and he willingly gave his life to save those that believe in God through him. It’s a good thing in my book. In fact a great thing what Jesus did.

So bash away at Christianity all you want…it’s the trendy thing to do. But for me, I try and show respect around others..not that I’m perfect.
G
graffiti
Nov 18, 2003
so is this thread read only yet?

Not yet Dave. Close possibly.
JK
Julian_K
Nov 18, 2003
Well,Tom doesn’t showing respect around others also mean respect around others expressions and views? At least as long as they are not destructive and intentionally hurting ?

After all, the initial post was just a humorous story.. all irony and everything exaggerated . What I don’t understand is , that
"kicking my daughter in the hip with my right foot" obviously didn’t bother you , while " god damn it" does?

Satirical violence against a kid isn’t offensive, but a little cursing is? And..why am I immediately bashing christians when I just express my feelings about the crucifix? (nothing against jesus btw, right on the contrary)
When I follow my believe it’s just trendy and disrespectful, but when you do it’s all right and good?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections