CL
Posted By
Craig_Lampa
Nov 17, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just installed CS on my Dell workstation with 2gigs of ram. I have alocated 85% of ram (1600megs) for photoshop in preferences. When I try to open Canon 1Ds raw files I get a message thats says I don’t have enough memory (ram) to open the files. What can the problem be? I still have 7.01 on the computer until I work the bugs out of CS. Is this cuase the lack of ram? The first time I tried to open a raw file it woked OK. Since then the error message keeps appearing.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

ED
ellen_devito
Nov 17, 2003
hmmm -this sounds just like the bug I get with Leaf RAW files.

for some weird reason, I get this same error with max RAM @ 100% (1777MB), and at 90%, but it seems to work fine now at 89%. now yours doesn’t work @ 85%?

obviously, we have enough RAM, sounds like a bug to me. I just posted mine to the CS bug topic. looks like CS doesn’t "like" certain percentages for max ram.
DP
Daryl Pritchard
Nov 17, 2003
Craig and Ellen,

With PS7 and earlier versions, a 75% RAM allocation is apparently the most Photoshop would use, regardless of a higher amount being selected. This was said to be a limitation due to Windows rather than Photoshop itself. While the same should still be true for PS CS, I know there was a thread somewhere that users commented on seeing better performance with an even lower RAM allocation specified…40-50% I think. Scott Byer acknowledged that as a trade-off for some of the improvements made in PS CS. I don’t recall where that thread was.

Regards,

Daryl
SB
Scott_Byer
Nov 17, 2003
This particular problem is happening because an application cna only address 2GB of address space on Windows. So, by setting Photoshop’s memory percentage high, nearly all of that address space gets pre-allocated for image tile purposes. Leaving nothing left for regular allocations. Yeah, there is a scheme in place to try and leave enough for normal operations, not matter how high the slider gets set, but the program grew a little more than expected.

-Scott
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 17, 2003
If I understand correctly from here and another thread I just read, you’re saying that the plugins (especially the RAW plugin) can take additional memory above (or outside, if that’s a better term) what’s allocated to photoshop in the settings. Is that correct scott?

thanks, dave
SB
Scott_Byer
Nov 18, 2003
Yup. They sometimes need to allocate "regular" memory (as oppose to image memory) but it all comes out of the same address space bucket.

-Scott
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 19, 2003
but it all comes out of the same address space bucket.

Ah. The key sentence. That explains a lot. Thanks Scott!

dave

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections