PS Activation and Adobelmsvc.exe, Adobelmsvcinstaller.dll – Spyware??

AT
Posted By
Alex_Tosheff
Nov 16, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am ok with Adobe wanted to protect their license – so the activation is a pain in the ass with frequent rebuilders (me) but understandable. What I want to know is what information EXACTLY Adobe is writing/reading to/from my boot sector and what information Adobe is sending from my computer to Adobe’s servers. I will be setting up my packet sniffer to see for myself – but I think it’s total crap if Adobe starts re-impliment call-to-home spyware. Anyone notice this?

AT

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

L
Larry
Nov 16, 2003
wrote in message
I am ok with Adobe wanted to protect their license – so the activation is a pain in the ass with frequent rebuilders (me) but understandable. What I want to know is what information EXACTLY Adobe is writing/reading to/from my boot sector and what information Adobe is sending from my computer to Adobe’s servers. I will be setting up my packet sniffer to see for myself – but I think it’s total crap if Adobe starts re-impliment call-to-home spyware. Anyone notice this? AT

Alex: If Adobe were foolish enough to do this in today’s more sophisticated and litigious society, the charges would be swift, the lawsuits furious, and the management would join the crew at Inron. Let us hope that are not that stupid. OTOH, there is nothing like a public pillory to deter other would-be miscreants.
MH
matthew_hattie
Nov 17, 2003
Here’s some discussion relating to the above.

Stephanie Schaefer "Macromedia MX Product Activation" 11/13/03 3:12pm </cgi-bin/webx?14/381>
Y
YrbkMgr
Nov 17, 2003
What I want to know is what information EXACTLY Adobe is writing/reading to/from my boot sector

You’ll never find out unless you become a Macrovision customer, if then. The activation process creates a machine hash – a number and it’s stored in that undocumented sector (not the boot sector) of the hard drive. Apparently, knowing what is written there isn’t for public consumption.

I’m not commenting on the righteousness of the issue, just that I don’t know that this information is, or ever will be disclosed.
AT
Alex_Tosheff
Nov 17, 2003
Thanks for the quick reply. I did indeed see that other thread – but I am still concerned about what information Adobe is collecting from me, How it is used, stored and with whom it is shared. For example, why is my software attempting to contact the server when I am loading a new plugin?
SB
Scott_Byer
Nov 17, 2003
Once activated, the activation code does not try and connect again (unless it detects that re-activation is required). There are other parts of the program that look for local services (Version Cue) even when turned off (yeah, I know – I’m upset about it as well). They don’t need access either and you can safely refuse the connection.

As for the info, from the Activation FAQ:

Adobe’s activation system does not collect, transmit, or use any personal information, including the customer’s hardware configuration.

-Scott
EL
Ed_Liang
Nov 22, 2003
just wondering why PS CS still tries to connect to version cue if i only have ps cs installed?? my zonealarm detects it everytime i launch ps…, or it just have to be in this way? can i turn off it? or wait for next patch~~

/ed
L
LenHewitt
Nov 24, 2003
Ed,

Click on the alert in ZA and "Add to Trusted"

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections