E
Posted By
epeters5
Nov 16, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am using Photoshop 7.0 and Pagemaker 7.0.1 and I cannot place a jpg that has been opened or modified in Photoshop in Pagemaker. But I can insert the jpg in Word, for example. In Pagemaker I receive the message: "Cannot place this file, file contains invalid data, 8601:29766" This is only for jpg files. If I save the image as a tif, bmp, gif or other formats using Photoshop I have no problem placing the file into Pagemaker. I did not experience this problem with Photoshop 6.x. I can also import other jpg files (e.g. those downloaded from the web or imported from a digital camera) without any trouble into Pagemaker. This sounds like the same issue faced by Christina (see earlier posting this forum) but with newer versions. Any ideas — suggestions.
Erik

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

DM
dave_milbut
Nov 16, 2003
turn off thumbnails when saving the jpg.
WJ
Will Justice
Nov 16, 2003
When you save the jpg, make sure you are not saving it as a progressive jpg, I had a similar problem with that before in Pagemaker, it turns out that it doesn’t like progressive jpgs.
E
epeters5
Nov 17, 2003
Thanks Dave. I assume you mean the thumbnails box at the bottom of the save as dialog box. If so, this thumbnails box is checked (and shaded), so I turned it off by using editing preferences, file handling, image previews — and choosing "never save." That shuts off the thumbnails box on the "save as" dialog box. But I still get the same error message when trying to place in PMaker. Am I switching off the wrong box. If so, where do I go to get the right one?
Erik
RL
Robert_Levine
Nov 17, 2003
Is the JPG saved as progessive? If so, it won’t place in PM.

Bob
E
epeters5
Nov 17, 2003
Thanks all. I made the changes and it works.
Erik
JK
Jacqui_KNight
Jan 7, 2004
Hello Erik,

Hope you’re reading this. Can you explain:

Thanks all. I made the changes and it works.

Which changes did you make? I am having identical problems, and it is set to save as 8bit, so that’s not causing the error message. Somewhere I saw where you were removing a thumbnail version (or something) but can’t find that message now!

Hope you can assist me too.

Thanks

Jacqui Knight
L
LenHewitt
Jan 8, 2004
Jacqui,

Edit>Preferences>File Handling>Image Previews. Switch to Ask When Saving and say ‘No’ for your JPG
JK
Jacqui_KNight
Jan 8, 2004
Yes I did that, but still having the problem Len. 🙁 I thought that perhaps Erik had done something else as well.

Thanks for your response – hope we can fix this, it’s SO infuriating. I am trying to keep the file size of the finished item down – I can however cut and paste the photos into the Pagemaker document… What are the advantages and disadvantages of this method? They look terrible in the file but print out okay. We are working on a newspaper, 16 pages A4, and later we want to put this on the web.

Jacqui
RL
Robert_Levine
Jan 8, 2004
Never cut and paste into Pagemaker. And if you’re going to press, stop worrying about files size. It’s quality that matters.

You might want to visit the PM forum.

Bob
JK
Jacqui_KNight
Jan 8, 2004
Thanks Bob.

Jacqui
L
LenHewitt
Jan 9, 2004
I would echo Bob’s comments and add that InDesign is SO superior to PageMaker, that it would probably be a wise investment for you…
JK
Jacqui_KNight
Jan 9, 2004
Thanks Len, I will look out for it.

Jacqui

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections