PS CS: (Problem Duplicated!) Help Menu = Close Photoshop?

DP
Posted By
Daryl Pritchard
Nov 16, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I know I’m wordy, but this is a doozy…

OK, first let me say that while I’ve successfully duplicated this problem a few (5-6) times today, it isn’t with every effort that has been attempted. But maybe I’ll have some useful info to present here. Also, even as it appeared the problem happened primarily when I accessed Photoshop Help from the Help menu, it also happened once when I tried re-opening a file from the Open Recent menu. I’ve no reason to suspect the file is corrupt in any way, if that could be a factor, and the file has never been edited in PS CS. I believe any editing was last performed in PS7 if even then. The file (87KB) is available here: <http://jazzdiver.com/photoshop/ps8/jennifer.jpg>

Now, as previously reported, I’ve been working on Photobars CS and had suspected that PhotoTools 3.06 was a possible cause of the problem since it inserts an Extensis menu that shifts the Help menu over. Given the once instance of PSCS aborting when accessing the Open Recent menu, I tend to now rule out that idea. For further reassurance, I removed the Extensis directory from the Plug-ins directory, as well as all Extensis support files installed in the PSCS root and Plug-ins directory. This effectively deleted all Extensis plug-ins. The problem was still observed…twice I think.

Although I have played around with the activation crack some during the course of using PS CS, that was not the source of the problem as it was not installed at the time…it’s a bit unwieldy to leave in for obvious reasons. All original PS CS files were in place. However, I have not as yet activated PS CS and the only thing I’ve done today that departed from normal use was to cancel the Activation process when I accidentally selected it. During that instance of PS CS use, the problem with the abort occurring did not arise. On a subsequent startup of PS CS, the abort did reoccur, and I captured the Task Manager list at that time. That image is here: <http://jazzdiver.com/photoshop/ps8/taskmanager.jpg>.

Note that the first two entries with the tilde symbol are normal, as they are related to the Macrovision process used for activation, with the 2nd entry added when activation is cancelled. Each time that I restarted Photoshop, I made certain I allowed time for those two entries and the Adobe License Manger service to shut down.

Now, simple though it is…and yet not always reliable….here are the few steps I performed that found the problem occurring. I was attempting to explore an answer to the post about the deleted 3D Transform filter, knowing it had been removed yet uncertain if maybe the Transform options might’ve addressed it somehow (nope). The steps taken were:

1. Open the image
2. Select a region then Ctrl+T to activate the Transform marquee
3. Select Photoshop Help…and find it unavailable
4. Cancel the Transform operation by clicking the slashed circle symbol
5. With the selected area still active, reselect Photoshop Help
6. Watch PS CS abort suddenly…but not every time.

For one instance of seeing this problem occur, PS CS didn’t abort but rather reported two errors, the closure of the first leading to the second:

1. Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library: Runtime Error! Program: D:\Adobe\Photoshop CS\Photoshop.exe – R6025 – pure virtual function call.

2. Adobe Photoshop: Photoshop.exe – Application Error: The instruction at "0x041e97ab" referenced memory at "0x00000004". The memory could not be read. Click on OK to terminate the program.

I believe the were the same errors reported the first time I saw this problem occur.

Hopefully this problem is a rare one from a usage perspective, as I’d hate to be editing an image and suddenly lose it when the program aborts due to some other sequence of actions that might trigger the same effect. I think I’ll just avoid accessing Photoshop Help via the menu and create a link to it instead. If the problem arises when accessing any other

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

DP
Daryl Pritchard
Nov 16, 2003
Hopefully this problem is a rare one from a usage perspective, as I’d hate to be editing an image and suddenly lose it when the program aborts due to some other sequence of actions that might trigger the same effect. I think I’ll just avoid accessing Photoshop Help via the menu and create a link to it instead. If the problem arises when accessing any other commands, I’ll deal with them however I can and likewise continue to report anything that differs from what I’ve stated here.

Finally, my system info follows below. The plug-in info has been deleted and replaced with a linked text file if that information remains of any value.

OOops!…Guess what? I accidentally closed the system info data I’d pasted into notepad. So, with Photoshop CS open at the moment I just went and selected System Info from the…yep, the Help menu. A new error has popped up of "Could not complete the System Info command because of a program error."

When I cleared the error, PS CS remained up and looked operational until I selected Open…and PS CS closed down.

I know this is a lot of info presented here. Hopefully it isn’t too much to absorb and find useful. When I return to explore this more later, I’ll see if I can duplicate it after resetting my preferences. If so, then I may next move to an uninstall/reinstall of PS CS. Hopefully I’ll not be forced to activate now, since I’ve not activated yet. But, if so, so be it.

Thanks,

Daryl

SYSTEM INFO

Adobe Photoshop Version: 8.0 (8.0×118)
Operating System: Windows XP
Version: 5.1 Service Pack 1
System architecture: Intel CPU Family:6, Model:7, Stepping:3 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP Processor speed: 551 MHz
Built-in memory: 1535 MB
Free memory: 1019 MB
Memory available to Photoshop: 1402 MB
Memory used by Photoshop: 50 %
Image cache levels: 4
Use image cache for histograms: No
Serial number: <not shown>
Application folder: D:\Adobe\Photoshop CS\
Temporary file path: f:\Temp\
Photoshop scratch has async I/O enabled
Scratch volume(s):
F:\, 6.00G, 920.0M free
J:\, 15.7G, 13.0G free
I:\, 2.94G, 2.61G free
Primary Plug-ins folder: D:\Adobe\Photoshop CS\Plug-Ins\ Additional Plug-ins folder: D:\Adobe\PS Plugins\
Installed plug-ins: refer to <http://jazzdiver.com/photoshop/ps8/ps8plugins.txt> Installed TWAIN devices:
WIA-Intel PC Camera Pro
Nikon Scan 3.1
SilverFast Epson (32 Bit)
Intel USB Video Camera
EPSON TWAIN 5
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 16, 2003
Unable to reproduce Daryl, several tries, several sessions, but this error:

2. Adobe Photoshop: Photoshop.exe – Application Error: The instruction at "0x041e97ab" referenced memory at "0x00000004". The memory could not be read. Click on OK to terminate the program.

Is usually related to a dll conflict.
DP
Daryl Pritchard
Nov 16, 2003
Thanks Dave. I was thinking the same thing, but that one thought is the extent of my knowledge! ha! One thought comes to might that I’d expect to be unlikely since Adobe would want their users of Photoshop to have confidence in the product even at an early stage: Could it be that by NOT yet being activated, the License Manager is somehow causing a problem? I ask that because of the presence of the two Marovision process entries and not knowing if they remain present after activation. Probably not…I’m just reaching.

Daryl
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 16, 2003
Could it be that by NOT yet being activated, the License Manager is somehow causing a problem? I ask that because of the presence of the two Marovision process entries and not knowing if they remain present after activation. Probably not…I’m just reaching.

I doubt it. My machine is activated and I get the 2 ~*.tmp files and the ALM loaded too. That’s normal.
DP
Daryl Pritchard
Nov 16, 2003
As I expected…thanks.
Y
YrbkMgr
Nov 16, 2003
Nice photo anyway…

Sorry, couldn’t help it.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections